Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Age of Darkness - Radium paints Heresy stuff

Age of Darkness - Radium paints Heresy stuff

Warseer is back! Time for a brand new painting log here!

I've been out of 40k for a number of years now, and have no intention of going back while GW refuses to make it into a decent game again. I have, however, recently gotten into the HH. Hard. Seeing the Custodes and Sisters of Silence had me sold. Initially I wanted to do a pure Talons of the Emperor army, but with the great deals you get the BoP and BaC boxes I figured I would just build a ton of marines, too! I already had three Knights, which will work as an allies detachment or for apocalypse.

What will you find in this plog?
    • Legio XVIII
    • Adeptus Custodes
    • Sisters of Silence
    • Imperial Knights
    • Whatever else strikes my fancy in the wonderful world of HH

Enough rambling. Pictures!

I quickly set up a photo area on my desk (using a white t-shirt as a backdrop). Far from ideal, but I wanted to get this plog started before I go absolutely crazy painting more marines! I also resorted to using my phone to take pictures, which doesn't help quality here either...

Knights I did back when they were released:

Nothing too spectacular. Just some knights!

Sisters of Silence test models:

Definitely need to tidy these up and whatnot. I also wanted the armour to be more silvery like seen in Collected Visions. I'm really happy with the colour of the armour, and I feel it matches my vision of Sisters of Silence quite well.

XVIIIth Legion MKIV tactical marines:

First ten tactical marines for the Salamanders. Need decals, weathering and bases. I'm really happy with the green colour of the armour, but there are plenty of lessons learned for the next batch of marines (10 MKIII marines).
    The armour has more contrast in real life, but with the current set up it's hard to capture that.

Any input on Heresy-era squad markings for the sallies would be highly appreciated. I don't want to do the tactical arrow + numeral, but it'd be the least confusing marking for gaming purposes.

Let me know what you guys think! All feedback and criticism is highly appreciated.
    Ave applicator paintoris!

I paint some Horus Heresy stuff.

Re: Age of Darkness - Radium paints Heresy stuff

Knight color is cool.
    My Imperium Blog : Faith of the Imperium

WARHAMMER-40k-CAMPAIGNS.COM - Follow this unique website project of 40k campaigns since the beginning on our Facebook!

I definitely prefer your silver on the sisters to the gold GW used, they look grittier and it distinguishes them from the custodes. The salamanders look very cool too, sorry no idea about the HH markings; I assume there must be some pics in one of the FW books.

still locked down edinburgh castle dungeon

Nothing too spectacular he says, while I weep into my brush water at the beauty of the silver and weathering on this Knights...

Thanks for the kind words everyone . Keep the comments (and critiques, don't forget the critique!) coming!

I got around to do some more painting today. Got most of the green done on the next tac squad:

And painted the first layer of battle damage on this squad:

Up next, the worst part of painting. Blocking off black and metallics.

Really nice work on armors and weathering is simplistic but effective.
    My Imperium Blog : Faith of the Imperium

WARHAMMER-40k-CAMPAIGNS.COM - Follow this unique website project of 40k campaigns since the beginning on our Facebook!

Chapter Master

Wow, That's a strong start. The knight and sisters of silence look great. I think you nailed the green for the Salamanders!

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

House Hyperion FTW!

There are dozens of us! Dozens! (I'd like directly to my Warseer version, but the search function is broken and I can't find it)

Looking great - the marines in particular are looking sweet! The latest batch in particular are amazing. The silver sisters? Awesome too!

This is some really subtle work, I love it. Normally I can't stand sprayed minis as its so over done but these guys look great. I think they'll look really awesome in larger numbers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    House Hyperion FTW!
    I'm actually surprised people recognize House Hyperion. It's the best Knight House though!
    I also absilutely love your decal sheet. I may just have one printed if I ever decide to include more Knights. We also share the same (really obvious) inspiration for the Knights. Mine are Shrike, Kassad and Het Masteen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Egg View Post
    This is some really subtle work, I love it. Normally I can't stand sprayed minis as its so over done but these guys look great. I think they'll look really awesome in larger numbers too.
    Aye, for many years I was a very vocal opponent of airbrush work for miniatures, since most people overdo it with the effect and don't use their airbrush carefully, leading to obvious paint splatters everywhere. I've only recently started using my airbrush for miniatures, after lots of practice and painting a LOT of scenery with it.

I will still stand by one core principle though: airbrushed layers can never ever be the last layer on the model. You will always need to add some glazes, layers and highlights after gettign the base down with an airbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazalaar View Post
    Wow, That's a strong start. The knight and sisters of silence look great. I think you nailed the green for the Salamanders!
    Thanks! The green took a couple of tries, but I think it matches the FW books very well, and still leaves plenty of opportunity to make the models interesting on the tabletop.

Quote Originally Posted by anselminus View Post
    Really nice work on armors and weathering is simplistic but effective.
    Thanks. I don't want to go overboard with the weathering, this being Salamanders and all. I prefer the more subtle effects, that don't overwhelm the miniature but still makes them interesting to look at. I will add some more weather to these guys though, with different techniques than just painting it on. That should add another layer of interest to the models.

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    I also absilutely love your decal sheet. I may just have one printed if I ever decide to include more Knights.
    Thanks! It took me quite a while. B&C has it in in their librarius in a higher res than I could put on the thread. If you are thinking about it, I highly recommend Bedlam Creations. It wasn't super cheap, but it was a world's better experience than printing them myself. Just being able to have white and black printed on the same sheet without weird workaround was a huge help.

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    I will still stand by one core principle though: airbrushed layers can never ever be the last layer on the model. You will always need to add some glazes, layers and highlights after gettign the base down with an airbrush.
    This needs to be emphasized so much more. Airbrushing has grown in this hobby by leaps and bounds, but you always get folks who think they're going to do an entire model with an airbrush and are disappointed in their beginner skills. They're just as effective at doing unique colour schemes and base layers! Your great Salamanders or the wide bulk of metallic Alpha Legion wouldn't be around without simple, basic airbrush for a base, and a good old fashioned brush for the detail.

Im in on that as well, do all of my bascolors with an airbrush and then go back over them with the brushes.
    Love your knights ! The house Hyperion colors really makes for a great knight scheme.
    Also like the metal sisters. Much better then the official gold ones from GW, IMO.
    / SDKFZ

This is why I missed Warseer so much - threads like this really stoke my hobby fires. I really like the alternate colour scheme for the Sisters of Silence - really makes them stand out.
    I am the monkey and I can go anywhere :chrome:

View my Blood Angel and Imperial Guard project log - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228657

Commander

Wow love your stuff and will also add my voice to the good call on colour scheme for the Sisters and I love that green on your Salamanders.

I should have some more updates over the weekend, but I got an early christmas present from FW for myself that I'm really excited about!

A Salamanders Contemptor
    MkIIB Land Raider
    Salamanders MkIII Conversion kit
    Salamanders Decals
    All 6 HH books

And some random conversion bits from various sites to spice up the Salamanders a bit more.

So the plan for this weekend is to finish up the second batch of 10 tactical marines, start assembling the two dreads (FW and BaC) and maybe assemble a veteran squad or third tactical complement.

Its all about getting the right presents, isnt it Looking forward to seeing all that resin crack all done up.
    / SDKFZ

Over the weekend I finished the MkIII marines, painted some bases, applies transfers and weathered all my marines some more. It's really quite interesting how long simple things like that can take when you're doing 20 marines.

Here's the results:

I've also started working on splicing a FW Salamanders contemptor with the plastic contemptor from BaC. Mostly done, just need to figure out what to do with the knee pads:

I'll use the shoulders from the FW contemptor to make this one a bit more Salamander-y. This'll become a contemptor-mortis with two Kheres assault cannons. The plastic model is properly terrible though. I was thinking of ordering a bunch from Ebay before I had seen one in the flesh, and I'm glad I didn't.

The inverse of this model is a lot easier, but I've not made a lot of progress actually assembling that one. When I know what I want to do with the knee pads it'll be done very quickly.

Not sure what's up next though. I'll need to assemble some stuff! I'm thinking I'll want to wrap up the tactical situation with another 10 tactical marines, and do some veterans or the dreads afterwards.

As always: let me know what you guys think!

Chapter Master

The squad looks marvelous! The contemptor looks already great. So the resin one will have the leg from the plastic contemptor?

Did some knee replacement surgery today:

Now the other dread is really straightforward (after I fix up his busted knee). No more plastic BaC contemptors for me though. I'll just get a bunch of resin ones.

Lovely Salamanders, really big fan of the muted green, and all the detailing is outstanding!
    Broterhood of the Shattered Spear - Heresy-Era White Scars of the 189. Explorator-Fleet!

Heroes of Armageddon - Unwanted paints 21 different Chapters for fun and profit (No actual profit involved)

Unwanted Forays into Mordheim! Orcs in da ruins!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast