Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Age of Darkness - Radium paints Heresy stuff

Re: Age of Darkness - Radium paints Heresy stuff

Very impressive as always Radium. The MkIII marines are a particular favorite of mine.
    -Malakai

Awesome idea, splicing in a resin leg onto a BaC dread. That should be a lot less work making it more dynamic without hacking apart the leg into it's components and reassembling it.

I'll probably give this a try myself. I have a BaC painted, a resin one to do and had considering getting a cheap BaC one and hack it apart so it's pose is different to the first. Simply switching a leg with the resin one should save a lot of time

Also, I love the green. So warm. Many salamanders painters make the green far too cold and jade-ish IMO. Also, you haven't gone overboard with flame-decorations, which is another pitfall. In this, less is certainly more.
    Last edited by Zywus; 17-12-2016 at 09:37.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holier Than Thou View Post
    Is it a good game design feature that a goblin is considered equal to a Dragon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Yes under the circumstance the tribe could be of dragon hunters is a device capture/bring down a dragon a impossibility?
    [Heresy Era 30k] The Eaters of Worlds Children of a savage messiah, Waagh K.F.O.R.K - My Orks, The log on my ever growing undead horde

Quote Originally Posted by unwanted View Post
    Lovely Salamanders, really big fan of the muted green, and all the detailing is outstanding!
    Thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    Very impressive as always Radium. The MkIII marines are a particular favorite of mine.
    Thanks! MkIII may be my favourite mark of power armour (although it's a colossal pain to paint). I really don't like the helmets though, I think they look a bit silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zywus View Post
    Awesome idea, splicing in a resin leg onto a BaC dread. That should be a lot less work making it more dynamic without hacking apart the leg into it's components and reassembling it.

I'll probably give this a try myself. I have a BaC painted, a resin one to do and had considering getting a cheap BaC one and hack it apart so it's pose is different to the first. Simply switching a leg with the resin one should save a lot of time

Also, I love the green. So warm. Many salamanders painters make the green far too cold and jade-ish IMO. Also, you haven't gone overboard with flame-decorations, which is another pitfall. In this, less is certainly more.
    Thanks! I'm really happy with the green myself. I wanted to go for a more muted, olive geen than the standard green you see, while keeping the colour very warm and rich. To this end I mixed in a good amount of ochre for the last layer and the highlights, making the colour really warm without making it too vibrant.

I also agree with the flames bit. It's very easy to add flames to every model or so, but it'd detract from the base model I feel. I'll add more flames to veterans, terminators and the like though to help them stand out a bit more.

And some progress today!
    Next batch of 10 tactical marines, with 3 sergeants. Goal is to field the tacticals as 3x10 in Rhinos. Not much to see yet, just the airbrushed green and inital round of highlights and weathering, and the base layer for all metallics.

Dreadnoughts! The resin model has some black spray on it to see if I washed the resin properly for paint to adhere. I'm quite happy with how my experiment combining a plastic BaC dread and a resin contemptor worked out. Might do it again some day, since I don't want all my dreads to have the massive firedrake symbol on their chests, and the "normal" contemptor is too 40k flavoured (purity seal, two-headed aquila).
    Arms are magnetized for easy transportation and swapping out weapons.

The FW dread is leaning back against a paint bottle. Still need to construct a base for him, and he looks a bit weird leaning back like this. Once done, he'll be walking forwards, looking at whatever is close to his fist for crunching!

I hope to finish the tacticals this weekend, and maybe get started on one of the dreads. After that, I'll start working on the cooler units for the army: 10 veterans with a bunch of meltas and combi-meltas and 10 tactical support marines with flamers. What's not to love about 10 models with str 5 flamers?
    Ave applicator paintoris!

I paint some Horus Heresy stuff.

Chapter Master

How you did the dreads is great. I am going to try it too! Keep up the fantastic work!

The dreads are looking cool and I love the little snake!

Great conversion on those dreads.
    / SDKFZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vazalaar View Post
    How you did the dreads is great. I am going to try it too! Keep up the fantastic work!
    Thanks! It's easy enough to convert the dreads like that, and it makes the BaC dread look pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Egg View Post
    The dreads are looking cool and I love the little snake!
    Haha, I had some putty left over, so figured I'd create a little buddy for the dread. Should make the base a tiny bit more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SDKFZ View Post
    Great conversion on those dreads.
    Thanks! Planning to do a bunch more now that I've got the basic template down.

Progress!

The last ten tactical marines for a while. Still need some highlights, bases and some additional attention on the lenses. Still, good enough for now to quickly get some forces ready for the tabletop.

Just the sergeants:

So smooth.

Best Sallies I've seen in a while, hands down!
    Broterhood of the Shattered Spear - Heresy-Era White Scars of the 189. Explorator-Fleet!

Heroes of Armageddon - Unwanted paints 21 different Chapters for fun and profit (No actual profit involved)

Unwanted Forays into Mordheim! Orcs in da ruins!

Chapter Master

Seconded! Wonderful Salamanders!

Love the green armour, it's made me finally buy an airbrush.

Watch your eyes on the sarge, if they are to big they can look a little cartoonish, get some black and reduce them down a bit.

Also I would get some black in the recesses of some of the armour, will add more definition from the green.

Your conversion work is excellent, well done on getting that terrible plastic contemptor to actually look good, splitting a FW contemptor was genius.

Subscribed.
    Hive Fleet Carnivora My Tyranid Blog: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307691

Quote Originally Posted by unwanted View Post
    So smooth.

Best Sallies I've seen in a while, hands down!
    Thanks! That's quite the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazalaar View Post
    Seconded! Wonderful Salamanders!
    Thanks! Sallies were my very first 40k army (back when Codex Armageddon was released). It's a lot of fun to go back to them after so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by polomarko888 View Post
    Love the green armour, it's made me finally buy an airbrush.

Watch your eyes on the sarge, if they are to big they can look a little cartoonish, get some black and reduce them down a bit.

Also I would get some black in the recesses of some of the armour, will add more definition from the green.

Your conversion work is excellent, well done on getting that terrible plastic contemptor to actually look good, splitting a FW contemptor was genius.

Subscribed.
    You won't regret buying an airbrush! They are worth every cent. I wouldn't be painting this army (or any of the scenery I've done for Infinity) without one.

I'm definitly going to go back and add a bit more contrast to the armour with glazes later on. I think you're absolutely right that the armour needs a bit more definition.

Some progress! Apologies for the terribly bright pictures. I'm using my phone for pictures, and didn't want to spend more time taking more pictures or editing the ones I took. It's all WIP stuff anyway...
    Veteran tacticals with a bunch of cool stuff (2 meltaguns, 2 power swords and 3 combi-meltas):

Dread:

In all, pretty happy with these guys, and the pace at which I can pump out these guys. I feel I've overdone the weathering on the dread, but I can always go back and undo some of it. The vets obviously need some more highlights, flame stuff, and weathering.

Big question for you guys: should I do green, black or bronze helmets on the vets? I'm leaning towards bronze, and do black for tactical support squads.

Bronze sounds good for the vet heads.

Well, I decided on black in the end. I think it'll look nicer to unify across veterans of all kinds (veteran tactical squads, terminators and dreadnoughts). It's also a nice reference to the Salamders current appearance: black skin and red eyes. While I disagree with coal black skin, it does work well for helmets.

Anyway, I think the kids left the dread out in the rain:

Quite happy with the weathering so far. I was afraid I'd gone to far with the weathering, but I think this is still borderline acceptable. I'll keep it more subtle on the rest of the vehicles though.
    Still a lot of details to go before I do the base and the weathering powders. Should be an awesome dread when done though!

The army also needs a character to lead it, so while I wait for the bits to convert my praetor (still waiting for FW to do a separate set of Salamanders Storm Shields, like the recent batch of weapon sets) I decided to convert Nomus Rhy'tan. I wanted his hammer to look like a massive weapon, while deliberatly not making it look like a thunder hammer. One of his titles is also Keeper of the Keys, so I had to add a key from the Empire Flagellant set.

I don't really plan to use him that often, but I really liked the idea him. And he unlocks more dreads, which is always a good thing!

Got carried away with the dread today, even though I had planned to work on some tactical support marines (got five built though, so that's something).

I still need to add some grass tufts to the base and maybe some decals, but wanted to ask your input: leave the cork rock as is, or make it grey like on the tacticals on page 1?

Let me know what you think!

I'd say make it grey, it helps to break up the big base.

The dread looks cool, like a gunslinger.

Commander

Very nice indeed, I agree with Lost Egg go for grey

Update time!

I went on a bit of painting frenzy these last couple of days, as I had the week off and the GF was with her family over in the US. I got quite a bit done during that time, but got a little carried away and forgot the upload any pictures...

Veteran tacticals:

Tactical support squad with flamers:

Nomus Rhy'tan:

And a close up of Darkstar Falling - it does look very different from a Thunderhammer now that it's all painted:

Contemptors:

I expect the painting to slow down a little for a while. I have a land raider MkIIb assembled and undercoated, and a bunch of Sisters of Silence to be painted. I'm also starting the plan the Custodes, but I need to do some tests with gold to get them looking the way I want them to. I've also learned a lot about painting Salamanders now, and I'll need to go back and retouch the earlier tacticals, pushing the highlights and the shades out a lot more.

Let me know what you think!

Great work, I'm envious of your painting time, maybe I should pack the wife and kids up for a week away...hmm...not sure that would wash

The black helmets looks good, better than the brass would have looked I reckon, good choice.

These are excellent. Great work. I really like how you've got hte Mkiii guys to look. They look like they could be made out of WWII tanks or something.

Chapter Master

You are fast! Very nice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast