Thread: Space Hulk up for pre-order

Space Hulk up for pre-order

Just went up on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/29...2873-113217593

I'm quite excited for this and have been keeping abreast of updates from the dev team. Always been a fan of the game and the computer game adaptions, but it's nice to see another one more in line with the recent Mordheim game.

What are people's thoughts on it?
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Chapter Master

Re: Space Hulk up for pre-order

This has been on steam for a while (there is an old thread down below).

The beta (which lasted all of 5 days last week) was apparently a big mess- lag, connection problems, framerate, crashes (and it's way too close to release date to fix much of anything), the release date was pushed back, and it took them a long time to give one in the first place. There are a lot of warning signs around it, actually.

I'd wait and see. Atmospherically, it looks amazing (the sound effects are apparently meh, with a handful of repeating lines and nerf bullet sounds), but gameplay-wise and optimization-wise it may well be a horrible flop.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    (the sound effects are apparently meh, with a handful of repeating lines and nerf bullet sounds)
    From what I've seen of the game via gameplay footage of the beta, the sound effects - and the voice acting in particular - were awful (easily on the level of the Ork Nobz in Dawn of War: Soulstorm). Supposedly lots of the audio is only placeholders, but at this relatively late stage, it is worrying.

Also Deathwatch-Deathwing guy has his whole arm silver instead of just the shoulder, which bothers me more than it ought to.

That is worrying.

Will have to see on release day. Though given even AAA releases get day one bug patches, wonky games even after release seems to be the future :cries:
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

I tend not to preorder anything anymore (apart from Sonic Mania as that is one epic special edition) , been burned too many times by absolute rubbish, I will probably get Space Hulk after it is released

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    That is worrying.

Will have to see on release day. Though given even AAA releases get day one bug patches, wonky games even after release seems to be the future :cries:
    Heh. People can only wish for day one patches these days. Now problems linger for weeks (hi, Bethesda & Arkane- way to crush an anticipated sequel)
    And lo, the Return!

Chapter Master

And pushed back two days before release for... five whole days (from the 9th to 14th).
    Yeah, this has all the hallmarks of being a complete trainwreck.
    And lo, the Return!

I'll definitely pick this up at some point, just not a launch I got burnt by bloodbowl 2 which sucked when it was first released but ended up being a good game a year down the line.

Chapter Master

Mmhmm. It's looking like a steam spring or summer sale title.
    And lo, the Return!

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Mmhmm. It's looking like a steam spring or summer sale title.
    This and even then depending on reviews...

Has anyone purchased and played this yet? Would be interesting if they managed to fix any of the bugs before launch.
    Last edited by blackcherry; 23-12-2016 at 14:07.

Chapter Master

I've been watching EnterElysiums' play throughs on YouTube, and they're making me very glad I didn't throw money at it, it doesn't seem to be in the horrible state it was in during the beta access, but the gameplay seems... Tepid, at best. Weapon combinations are a bit silly (and for dedicated background people, very annoying) and they force a lot of choices on you, and deal with certain weapons (like storm bolter variants or hellfire ammo)in a very clunky and absurd way, basically if you want a ranged weapon that isn't a basic generic storm bolter, you can't use a force weapon or other special weapon, just a power fist (or the special early purchase mace that is just a skin, and has the same stats as a powerfist)

There is a decent amount of variety in the genestealers, but the basic version looks... bad, and sort of a sad, mopey looking ork mutant for some reason. The streamlined design of the current models isn't present. Hybrids with auto guns are very dangerous, and a lot of details are just wrong (4th gens with four arms, terminators hacking computers, assorted weirdness with stealers using stored gene seed in some fashion). Later versions are just extra bullet spongey, soaking a half dozen plasma cannon blasts to the face.

The interiors are very nice, and some of the psychic and weapon effects are well done, but overall gameplay wise it seems pretty indifferent. Animations are sometimes just odd, and they cut a few corners in the name of gameplay- your companions are just hosts you can walk through, which steals any notion that terminator armor has weight or mass. Melee attacks basically hide the screen from you, and then burst it with falling viscera.

Sounds effects are pretty phoned in. Pretty much all the weapons need to be deeper/lower, rather than high pitched chirps, and the voice acting is incredibly uneven, with pronunciations wandering in different directions from scene to scene (same actor, same word, 5 minutes later has a whole new direction)
    Last edited by Voss; 11-01-2017 at 02:24.
    And lo, the Return!

I was very tempted to pre-order this, but given GW's mostly lacklustre games as of late and the middling reviews this has received, I'm glad I didn't. If it comes down enough in price I'd consider a purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyamatoMusashi View Post
    Magnus' actions in wiping out most of the Astropaths on Terra when it was already too late just makes him look like a bumbling buffoon. He might as well finish up by saying "Uh-oh, spaghettios!" with a canned laughter track appended, then slipping over on a banana skin accompanied by a comedy whistle sound.

You do know that GW didn't actually make this game and had very little to do with it ?
    Armies of Malagor:
    Warhammer Fantasy/9th Age: Beastmen, Bretonnia, Vampire Counts, Lizardmen, Ogre Kingdoms, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarfs, Legion of Chaos, Undead Legion.
    Warhammer 40k: Chaos Space Marines, Ad-mech, Sisters of Battle
    Warmahordes: Skorne, Trollbloods, Khador, Circle Orboros

Quote Originally Posted by Malagor View Post
    You do know that GW didn't actually make this game and had very little to do with it ?
    I knew they didn't make it, but I was unaware they had little to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyamatoMusashi View Post
    Magnus' actions in wiping out most of the Astropaths on Terra when it was already too late just makes him look like a bumbling buffoon. He might as well finish up by saying "Uh-oh, spaghettios!" with a canned laughter track appended, then slipping over on a banana skin accompanied by a comedy whistle sound.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    I knew they didn't make it, but I was unaware they had little to do with it.
    Pretty much all the computer games are just license deals. At this point (in the past this wasn't true, GW demanded a lot of oversight over project), they just say, 'Thanks for the cash/royalties, do what you want.' There are some limits, but it's a lot more fast and loose than it used to be.

Supposedly Gav was in on the writing in some fashion on this one, but they took a lot of liberties with the background. Had they not, and instead focused on a campaign that focused on systematic purge and securing sections of the Space Hulk in a logical fashion, I'd be a lot more impressed. Instead it's a very haphazard teleporting around (through a permanent psychic gate, which... uh?), with increasingly contrived excuses to stand around and babysit bad AI companions. The first mission involves securing a beachhead which is then never used.

I wouldn't expect a 1:1 between computer game and background or table rules, but this one steps off into madness pretty quick (and from a shooter perspective, just isn't all that good). For example, stepping off to librarians with heavy weapons isn't something you'd see on the table (or background), but in terms of a shooter's progression, it makes some sense. That's workable. Giving up force weapons and being limited to power fists instead if you do is... just weird.
    And lo, the Return!

Did the final game fix the awful pronunciation of Belial from the trailer (Bee-lee-al)?

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damocles View Post
    Did the final game fix the awful pronunciation of Belial from the trailer (Bee-lee-al)?
    Sort of? Which is to say not at all. Sometimes the exact same voice actor says the Bee's Lees, other times he says it as you'd actually expect (but 'lee' is the dominant pronunciation). Same with Primus. It's said as both 'pry' and 'pree.' Again, with the same voice actor saying both versions- apparently he got different direction in different takes.

Sound in general is an area where this game is particularly woeful. I had playthrough videos going, and eventually lost interest and had them playing as background noise, but every so often it would jolt me to attention with something fairly appalling. Eventually I just gave up.
    Last edited by Voss; 18-01-2017 at 21:07.
    And lo, the Return!