Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Guildy's Orkz

Brother Sergeant

Re: Guildy's Orkz

Hahah thanks! I know it looked a lot like a Clown Car with the bright colours at first!

My main theme is orange and purple overall. But yeah I LOVE weathering it to death so it really has to start quite bright to look "ok" to me, after. Still, whole lot of fun to do glad you enjoyed it!

Trying to decide what to work on next. I really need to get more of my boyz done they're sadly grey atm.

Brother Sergeant

Deffkopta Warbike Conversion

Started with:

Basically, I followed Sperian's guide on MWG for how to convert a deffkopta to a warbike. I added a couple of forks on the front wheel, and a kromlech resin wheel on the back. Since I'm doing a pirate/ocean theme and I've already done a few sand/water bases for my completed boyz, I wanted to try to make this bike look like he was riding out of the surf.

I looked for a few techniques but the final one that seemed to get the look I mostly wanted was to use cotton balls and gloss mod podge. Next time I'm going to try to do some greenblue washes and layer up the cotton balls, so I have more of a blue look and not total white/clear. I tried to do the washes after but it really didn't work on my test piece so I left it as is.

I also used the fishing line and watereffects (or glue) trick, but I subbed nylon thread as I happen to have some that's very thin. I tried to build up the water effects (Vallejo still water) slowly to make it look like water droplets flying off.

Now that is a neat conversion, whish I had seen it before I painted my Deffkoptas, as now I have 4 Fast Attack.

Looks like someone gave this thread a 2/5 before you even had a chance to show your stuff. I have given a 5/5 to see if that can bring the rating up somewhat, because if you keep showing conversions and painted Grots like on the last page you will be getting higher ratings.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Presently selling fully painted OOP WHFB Orc, Empire and Dark Elves. Interested in buying a Citadel Realm of Battle Board Carrying Bag

Brother Sergeant

Trukk 1

Thanks Captain!

I took the conversion idea from Sperian on MWG, he did a couple that look really really cool.

Just finished off my son's Terrorgheist for his VC army, so now I can get back to my Orks!

I'm currently trying to get more boyz painted, but they're just undercoated atm sadly. And I also started trying to get my three trukks done. They're ebay salvage jobs so some bits are missing here and there, and I had to really scrub them a lot ot get the yucky old paint off. My next trukk is going to be a new one, I swear hah. I am very tempted to get one and another goliath model to kitbash together as well, for a second looted wagon.

Anyway, so here's the first trukk - I made it a grill type thing, since that was a bit missing. Also may make it a reinforced ram, as that's also missing, not sure yet. Just need to get the crew painted up and it's finished really (paint wise, I've not weathered it yet).

Brother Sergeant

Re: Trukk 1

Getting there!

I am hopefully I'll finish these three this weekend (and take better non-phone pics) - but by the week at least.

Going from left to right:

Trukk 3 - is about to have colour applied, over chipping fluid, the pre-rusting stage is already complete
    Trukk 2 - is done, except its crew - that is still WIP
    Trukk 1 - all painting is done, but I didn't use chipping fluid on this one, as I want to see how the weathering differs using just paint and weathering powders (I don't think it really matters in the long run, I'm just curious)

And in other news, I managed NOT to buy two more trukk models, tho it was a close thing haha I do want to wait til 8th drops to see how useful the Trukk remains (hopefully very!) but I did take the opportunity to buy the ork mek model that is *not* the one from the lootas/burnas kits.

I'm also converting some boyz with bits from lootas/burnas kits (mainly the rockets) to make some tankbustas, a model I've been itching to make and try on the battlefield for a while!

Great Trukks there Guildenstern. They look very Orky with the mix of metallic colours and rust.

I did some simple conversions as well to bulk out my Tankbustas, but I used GorkaMorka models to make them look like apprentices learning from the veterans (photos in my Ork PLOG) for a simple way to convert a shoota into a rokkit.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Presently selling fully painted OOP WHFB Orc, Empire and Dark Elves. Interested in buying a Citadel Realm of Battle Board Carrying Bag

Brother Sergeant

Sweet Captain Brown - will check out your plog again and plunder it for ideas lol

Finished the trukks, so I'll be trying to get to the Tankbustas here shortly!

I'm hoping the Trukk will still be awesome in 8th so I have an excuse to buy more, but we shall see - I'm really mainly holding off because I have soooo many other units to finish first anyway.

(Note I do have a few more bits I have to stick back on that broke off >< sigh. So it goes, otherwise all their weathering is done)

Only paint what you want to paint...as the playability of models may change from edition to edition, but your figure cabinet is for the rest of your gaming career. (Exception being Ogryns which just seem to suffer)

Your weathering has really toned down the bright colours and made the vehicles truly Orky!

Cheers,

CB

The huge Ork glyph is a great touch. Haven't seen Deffkoptas being converted to Warbikes before. Very cool, and thanks for elaborating on this.

Make sure you get the dirt on wheels evenly, as they spin around and whatnot.

Brother Sergeant

Belated thanks guys appreciate the tyre tip especially I hadn't actually noticed it wasn't on as evenly as it should have been.

Just got back from vacation - first one in a really long time tbh. Didn't get a lot of hobby in, though, sadly lol And of course 8th dropped while I'm off galivanting about, so didn't even get to play much.

Anyway, I'm back now and finally restarting on my orks - I got some Tankbustas converted up (used the tutorial on StrikingScorpion82's youtube channel to take burna bodies and just add a bunch of missles etc). Also I finished off my Ork Mek model that'd I'd been trying to get to for a while!

Next up I'm planning on getting some more boyz painted up, and though that's not exciting a ton, after I'm going to be finally doing a Gorkanaut =D which I'm *very* excited about!

Guildenstern,

Interesting bases you have there. Good stuff. Looking forward to you Gorkanaut.

Cheers,

CB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2