I don't pretend to be a Kings of War elite, in fact I am not even a tournament player, but I have been playing KoW and frequenting various forums about the game for some time now and there are a few ideas that I found myself repeating again and again.

This is not supposed to be the ultimate final guide(tm) about making a tournament list, but simply a thead about general ideas to get you started.

If you have other ideas on how to build a KoW army, even if they are only useable by some specific armies or oriented towards a specific strategy, please feel free to post in this thread to inspire others.

Some of you might have laready read some ideas like "always take one inspiring source for each 500 points of army", "take one surge for each 400 points of shambling units" or "a 2000 points armies should have at least X units to deploy", and while they are not bad as starting guidelines, there is an approach that regroup those ideas as well as other in a much more effective manner, ladies and gentlemen I am writing about the "Detachment design".

The global idea is simply to think about your army as being composed of several detachment, or groups of units.
Druing the deployement, units of the same detachment will be deployed close to each other, and most detachments will usually have their own inspiring source, as well as a general role to fill in your global strategy.

Of course, there will be some exceptions, for exemple you might have a specific flying unit that you plan to always use alone far from your lines to hunt war engines, heroes or other targets of opportunité, in this case of course the unit would not be part of a specific detachment (or it could be said to be its own small detachment)

By having assembled your army around this concept, you should find easier to identify the strengths and weaknesses of your army, but you will also have a general plan for how to deploy and use your army while at the same still having some flexibility to adapt to the current scenario, terrain and opponent.

For exemple you might have an army composed of 4 detachment that looks like this :

Detachment A
- light cavalry troop
- heavy cavalry regiment
- mounted inspiring hero

Detachment B
- inspiring hero on big flying monster
- heavy cavalry regiment

Detachment C
- infantry horde with good defense
- large infantry horde
- slow monster
- various supporting heroes
(wizard with inspiring talisman, army standard, etc ...)

Detachment D
- misc war engines, small shooting units and chaff

In this case, most of the time you will use C to hold the center, put A and B on the side as flanking forces, and dispatch D units as needed to give them appropriate lines of fire (D is here an exception to the "deploy unit of the same detachment close to each other", it's more a wildcard)
But against some opponents, you might decide that you want for example to do a refused flank, in which case you would deploy both A and B on the same flank, and put probably most of your chaff on the other side to dely your opponent there.
In other situations, maybe while facing a lots of heavy fliers, you might want to keep B as a reserve hidden behind other units ready to pounce on any flying unit that would try to search a flank or rear charge.

Byt using this general method, you will be able to construct a more organic army, with the appropriate number of inspiring source and you will also be able to plan for surge casters or similar supporting units according to each detachment needs, and so on.
(for example one defensive detachment with mainly big infantry horde with no CS but lots of attacks would be the optimal place to put a wizard with bane chant)

This will also force you to think more about the role of each unit in relation to the rest of the army, but also prevent situations where you take more than you can use.
For example you might have taken several cavalry regiment thinking of using them as hammers combined with some infantry hordes, but with only a global view you might find yourself with some of the cavalry units deployed far from the infantry they are supposed to support, or that you have too much of them that you simply don't have the space needed to use them all in this role.