Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tale of Board Game Painters Sign Up Thread

Tale of Board Game Painters Sign Up Thread

Welcome to the Tale of Board Game Painters!

What's all these 'Tales of...' I keep seeing?

Basically it's a plan to get loads of miniatures painted up by getting motivation from positive feedback and approaching deadlines. By having a list and breaking it down into monthly parts it is more manageable, and by having deadlines to at least get something done by at the end of each month usually means that you will get something painted up (even if not as much as you would have wanted).
    This tale is about painting things for Board Games.

To quote HereBeDragons introduction last year (which I couldn't have put any better);

A lot of us wargamers have bought or been given some really impressive board games through the years that have had one extra special selling point; cool miniature game pieces.
    These can be old classics - Heroquest, Blood Bowl, 1st ed. Space Hulk - or super detailed eye candy from the recent surge of successful boxed games - Super Dungeon Explore, Zombicide, 3rd ed. Space Hulk - or anything in between.

When we open the boxes we all dream of how awesome it will look (in just a few weeks, right?) when we've painted every single miniature to the best of our abilities. Awesome atmospheric board pieces with super realistic miniatures all over. Then a few weeks go by, sometimes a few months and for way too many of us a few years. The games are still awesome but all that paint seems to have taken the wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Enter the Tale of Board Game Painters. Now we're going to use the collective power of motivation to really get it done! Participants choose a miniature board game from their collection - one's enough for most of us; after all, they've been unpainted this long already, let's not get carried away - and paint it up in 5 to 10 batches over a period of 6 to 12 months.

The Plan

We are fairly laid back here, we don't set you a set number of models that have to be completed - just try and get something finished each month. There are options for a six month plan (in which you are allowed a single month where you don't have to paint anything (known as a Joker), or a 12 month plan in which you are allowed 2 Jokers.

In previous years we have started in September, but with the Warseer downtime, it seems logical to restart it and to do a calendar year instead.

If you're on a 6 month plan it could be like this:

Month 1: Painting in January - show-off in February
    Month 2: Painting in February - show-off in March
    Month 3: Painting in March- show-off in April
    Month 4: Painting in April - show-off in May
    Month 5: Painting in May - show-off in June
    Month 6: Painting in June - show-off in July - Finished Game in July!!

A 12 month plan will not be finish in July but instead continue:

Month 7: Painting in July - show-off in August
    Month 8: Painting in August - show-off in September
    Month 9: Painting in September - show-off in October
    Month 10: Painting in October - show-off in November
    Month 11: Painting in November - show-off in December
    Month 12: Painting in December - show-off in January - Finished Game in January!!

This thread is for signing up! Let me know if interested, and if so what game/games you plan on painting

Signed up so far;

Daemonslave - Classic Warhammer Quest
    DYoung - Warhammer Quest Silver Tower
    April - HH : Burning of Prospero (?)
    DarthSte - Star Wars: Imperial Assault
    Lorelorn - Space Hulk
    Skywave - Warhammer Quest Silver Tower
    f2k - Dreadfleet
    Zarika - HH : Betrayal at Calth
    Benvoliothefirst - Classic Warhammer Quest
    blackcherry / Teh Real New Girl - Arkham Horror
    Covering Fire - HeroQuest : Kellar's Keep
    Hammerhand - Bloodbowl
    Thalenchar - Warhammer Quest : Silver Tower
    Doi - Kingdom Death : Monster
    Harry - Heroquest
    Kaltheras - Warhammer Quest : Silver Tower
    Itsacon - Classic Warhammer Quest
    Solun Decius - Blood Rage
    Great horned owl - Lobotomy
    Rikk - WHQ: Shadows over Hammerhal / Silver Tower
    Last edited by Daemonslave; 27-02-2017 at 16:33.

Re: Tale of Board Game Painters Sign Up Thread

Count me in - that Silver Tower box has been watching me while I sleep! I'll have to take inventory when I get home but I'm thinking it'll be a 12 month slog.

Sure I'll sign up I have some HH/TS stuff I need to do

Remember Thin Your Paints

April.

Defender of teh Wastes DarthSte's Avatar

Sign me up. I'll attempt the Imperial Assault stuff that's been lurking for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

Chapter Master

Do we have to pledge everything from the beginning or do we take it as it come?

Got an old Dreadfleet box that I ought to get painted sooner or later. If I get that done there's Blood Rage, Space Hulk, Execution Force... Too much stuff to think about, really...

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    Do we have to pledge everything from the beginning or do we take it as it come?

Got an old Dreadfleet box that I ought to get painted sooner or later. If I get that done there's Blood Rage, Space Hulk, Execution Force... Too much stuff to think about, really...
    Nope you don't have to pledge everything straight away, in fact, I would suggest pledging less and if you finish early then happy days - having a massive list of things to do can also be de-motivating.

So if you want to put your name down for getting Dreadfleet finished in a year and you manage to do it in 6 months, then you could then opt to try and finish Blood Rage or Execution Force in the second six months (if you wanted)

I'll join too, to paint Space Hulk on a 12-month plan.

The models are currently where they ave been since 2009 - in the box, on the sprue. Hopefully I can paint them before the 10-year mark!
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

I'll try that! I have Silver Tower still on sprue and I'd like to have it completed by next year!

The box say there's 51 minis in there, so that's 4.25 minis a month. Giving myself a deadline should help getting it done!
    Rest in Peace Tomb Kings. May you forever ride the desert of 8th edition!

Eight Edition for Life.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonslave View Post
    Nope you don't have to pledge everything straight away, in fact, I would suggest pledging less and if you finish early then happy days - having a massive list of things to do can also be de-motivating.

So if you want to put your name down for getting Dreadfleet finished in a year and you manage to do it in 6 months, then you could then opt to try and finish Blood Rage or Execution Force in the second six months (if you wanted)
    Sounds good. I'll try to get Dreadfleet done then. And if that happens (don't have too good a record on these Tales Of... threads), then I'll have a look at what else I've got in my stash.

I'll throw my hat in. I have a BAC box set to paint up and would like to give it a try.
    Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.

All done. Surprised there haven't been any SDE yet, they were dominating the lists last year.

Count me in for Classic Warhammer Quest. It's been on my to-do list for twenty years!
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Count myself in for a special project over 12 months. The Real New Girl and I have plans to source and paint models for the 16 characters of Arkham Horror, but that will take time. So 12 months seems fair. If we beat the time limit, we'll move onto the Monsters.
    Last edited by blackcherry; 29-12-2016 at 08:40.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    Count myself in for a special project over 12 months. The Real New Girl and I have plans to source and paint models for the 16 characters of Arkham Horror, but that will take time. So 12 months seems fair. If we beat the time limit, we'll move onto the Monsters.
    I think FFG sell them pre-painted, but that sort of thing always looks good with a re-paint, alternatively, Mansions of Madness comes with a number of unpainted investigators and monsters: I know the monsters are the same as the Arkham Horror ones, not sure about the investigators though.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSte View Post
    I think FFG sell them pre-painted, but that sort of thing always looks good with a re-paint, alternatively, Mansions of Madness comes with a number of unpainted investigators and monsters: I know the monsters are the same as the Arkham Horror ones, not sure about the investigators though.
    May look there then. Thanks DarthSte.

Edit: Or else source our own models - not sure I like the FF ones. The level of detail is rubbish. There are plenty of pulp models out there that will suit the purposes better. But nice to know there is a backup available.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    May look there then. Thanks DarthSte.

Edit: Or else source our own models - not sure I like the FF ones. The level of detail is rubbish. There are plenty of pulp models out there that will suit the purposes better. But nice to know there is a backup available.
    There are some great pulp models around at the moment. Have any particular ones caught your eye?

Both added to the list

Cheers, officially saying I'm in even though Black cherry has already announced our project that we will be working on together.

Really looking forward to it.
    Originally posted by Lord Damocles
    New Girl is the best girl.

Nice to see this starting up again!

I'm in with HeroQuest: Kellar's Keep for starters. Maybe I'll continue with another game once this is done.

Great idea. I'm in for blood bowl 2016. I've always fancied having a stab at building a stadium......
    How hard can it be??

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast