Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tale of Board Game Painters Sign Up Thread

Re: Tale of Board Game Painters Sign Up Thread

Added.

Also, feel free to post any WIP pics for January here, though when it comes to showing off what we have done I will start a new thread for each month.

Here's (most of) my painting pile for the year (still need to buy a few things);

Painting Challenge for 2017;

Haven't Bought Yet / Bought and Undercoated / Finished

12 Giant Centipedes
    12 Giant Ticks
    12 Cultists
    12 Fire Beetles
    12 Giant Ants
    12 Wolves
    12 Zombie Wolves
    12 Giant Weasels
    12 Harpies
    12 Dire Bats
    12 Giant Scorpions
    6 Carrion
    6 Rust Monsters
    6 Wights
    3 Gigantic Toads
    3 Gigantic Spiders
    Colossal Squig
    Forgeworld Lord of Change
    Chaos War Mammoth
    Barbarian
    Assassin
    High Elf Warrior
    Grey Wizard
    Battle Mage
    Witch Hunter
    Imperial Noble

This sounds like a good idea to help with the painting queue and celebrate Warseer's return.

I'll join with a Silver Tower Heroes pledge.

I have a good two dozen different characters waiting for some painting love. One of my favourite parts of the new Warhammer Quest is that there are rules for so many different characters. I'd love to have one of each of these painted, but I'll start by aiming for one a month. Plenty other stuff in the painting queue too!

The Silver Tower monsters will have to wait their turn. Who knows, I might start a Disciples of Tzeentch army and paint the monsters for that later on!

Heroes of the Silver Tower assemble!

Added. Welcome to the Tale!

Chapter Master

So, this thread also doubles as the thread for the first months WIPs?

Well...

The upload function doesn't seem to work right now, but never mind - don't have much to show.

I've gotten everything off the sprues and sorted in small bags. What a chore... These really weren't the best sprues Games Workshop have designed. Seems I might have gotten a bad box too, as some of the parts had clear signs of mould-slip. Oh well... It's done and the problematic areas can be sorted with a bit of work.

Not looking forward to assembling the ships though. Some of them will be a royal pain in the behind to paint. Either I paint them in pieces, in which case I'll have to go over them with greenstuff once assembled and then touch up on the paint job, or I assemble them and then have to struggle to get paint on all the hard-to-reach parts.

Gorgeous models... Just not easy to paint...

So I decided to start out with the terrain. All the islands have been assembled, gabs have been greenstuffed, and tonight it all got a nice coat of black primer.

This weekend I plan to go over them with various shades of grey, building up a bit of shading and contrast. Once all the grey has been done I can start picking out details on the various islands.

Not sure I can get it all done this month, so for now I'll just call it a WIP work.

WIP for Jan 17

I am notorious for biting off more than I can chew by the way. At home I have a semi-complete 3d printer, a semi complete racing drone, a 10% complete American bolt action army, a half built 1:43rd scale millennium falcon model (about 3 feet in diameter) and I could go on and on. Here's to hoping that this is going to push me on to actually finish something!

And on with the show..........

I'd actually already picked up my copy of Blood Bowl over the weekend, and although I had shuffled through the contents, I hadn't really looked properly at any of it. I'm really happy with the quality of everything, and on closer inspection of the sprues, there's quite a lot more tokens and balls than I had at first realised (a dozen balls!).

So my Plan:

I'm going to paint all the templates, but I'm only going to paint one of each of the footballs as to be honest, 12 is overkill and I still have all the footballs from the old version of this set that i bought nearly 15 years ago so I'm not convinced I'll need any more than that! I've also got the Skavenblight Scramblers en route, but I'm pretty sure I'll be adding to my team count by the end of this 12 months, but for now, it's the three teams i'm planning to paint.

I've always wanted to have a stab at building a stadium, so I'm going to! What I plan to do is come up with several 3d printed modules that will attach to the fabulous new reversible board, because I love the idea of being able to change it game after game depending on how the mood takes me and frankly, gives me an excuse to buy the rumoured new pitches as and when they come out. The modules can then be packed away easily enough to appease the other half whom is always happy to point out the physical constraints of our tiny home! This will be the most challenging part of my tales series, and I really need to keep it as a background activity otherwise I will never get anything else done!

So far I have snipped off and cleaned up all the parts from the sprues and produced the first few modules on OpenSCAD. They are just prototypes and will probably change a bit to make them more printable on my home-made 3D printer, and also once the model has been printed I will sculpt on some detail and add things such as some printed blood bowl adverts on the hoardings! Oh, and the estimated 400 spectators I am currently planning to add which might be a push to far for this project, but I will try my best.

The space between the 2 dugouts will be a dice rolling box. The ledges you can see protruding from the dugouts are there to sit the game board on. I am planning on having the players sat next to each other as the opposite side of the pitch is going to have a large spectator stand that'll be difficult to reach over but will provide an awesome backdrop to our games. Once I've finished, I will be happy to provide the .stl files to anyone who wants to print their own stadium lol, just pm me if you're interested.

The parts came off the sprue looking great, only a tiny amount of flash needed cleaning off. I do have to add at this point that the push-fitting of the players led to a lot of swearing; the fit is great, but there are so many bloody spikes on them that I was sure I would draw blood at some point. Gloves/foam-pads recommended!

This set looks great, and as I never actually finished painting the set I bought 15 years ago, I owe it to myself to do a good job of this.

So, I'm planning on having everything in this photo undercoated by the end of this weekend. By the end of the month, I hope to have all my 3d stand prototypes finished and at least the templates and tokens painted.

Wish me luck peeps, this is going to be emotional.
    How hard can it be??

Get a tustom citle 'ere! blackcherry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSte View Post
    There are some great pulp models around at the moment. Have any particular ones caught your eye?
    Been looking about the internet. We're doing two models a month at least, which gives us time to find models we think will fit. Reaper have some nice ones, Rogue Miniatures are good and so are Heresy Miniatures when it comes to the monsters, which we may start doing if we complete the initial pledge early.

Edit: Set up a separate plog for WIP bits.
    Last edited by blackcherry; 08-01-2017 at 20:05.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Test model of own chapter I will be painting my BAC box.

Edit... Got a test sergeant painted up and have 9 more marines part built and primed. Will work on getting the pictures up.
    Last edited by Zarika; 06-01-2017 at 19:40.
    Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonslave View Post
    Added.

Also, feel free to post any WIP pics for January here, though when it comes to showing off what we have done I will start a new thread for each month.

Here's (most of) my painting pile for the year (still need to buy a few things);

Painting Challenge for 2017;

Haven't Bought Yet / Bought and Undercoated / Finished

12 Giant Centipedes
    12 Giant Ticks
    12 Cultists
    12 Fire Beetles
    12 Giant Ants
    12 Wolves
    12 Zombie Wolves
    12 Giant Weasels
    12 Harpies
    12 Dire Bats
    12 Giant Scorpions
    6 Carrion
    6 Rust Monsters
    6 Wights
    3 Gigantic Toads
    3 Gigantic Spiders
    Colossal Squig
    Forgeworld Lord of Change
    Chaos War Mammoth
    Barbarian
    Assassin
    High Elf Warrior
    Grey Wizard
    Battle Mage
    Witch Hunter
    Imperial Noble
    Daemonslave, I'm very excited to follow your progress here, I'm even jealous of your to-do list! Some great models. Looks like there's two color schemes there for the LoC, if it's up to us, I vote for the more colorful gold-edged wings, I like the brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhand View Post
    WIP for Jan 17

I am notorious for biting off more than I can chew by the way. At home I have a semi-complete 3d printer, a semi complete racing drone, a 10% complete American bolt action army, a half built 1:43rd scale millennium falcon model (about 3 feet in diameter) and I could go on and on. Here's to hoping that this is going to push me on to actually finish something!

And on with the show..........

I'd actually already picked up my copy of Blood Bowl over the weekend, and although I had shuffled through the contents, I hadn't really looked properly at any of it. I'm really happy with the quality of everything, and on closer inspection of the sprues, there's quite a lot more tokens and balls than I had at first realised (a dozen balls!).

So my Plan:

I'm going to paint all the templates, but I'm only going to paint one of each of the footballs as to be honest, 12 is overkill and I still have all the footballs from the old version of this set that i bought nearly 15 years ago so I'm not convinced I'll need any more than that! I've also got the Skavenblight Scramblers en route, but I'm pretty sure I'll be adding to my team count by the end of this 12 months, but for now, it's the three teams i'm planning to paint.

I've always wanted to have a stab at building a stadium, so I'm going to! What I plan to do is come up with several 3d printed modules that will attach to the fabulous new reversible board, because I love the idea of being able to change it game after game depending on how the mood takes me and frankly, gives me an excuse to buy the rumoured new pitches as and when they come out. The modules can then be packed away easily enough to appease the other half whom is always happy to point out the physical constraints of our tiny home! This will be the most challenging part of my tales series, and I really need to keep it as a background activity otherwise I will never get anything else done!

So far I have snipped off and cleaned up all the parts from the sprues and produced the first few modules on OpenSCAD. They are just prototypes and will probably change a bit to make them more printable on my home-made 3D printer, and also once the model has been printed I will sculpt on some detail and add things such as some printed blood bowl adverts on the hoardings! Oh, and the estimated 400 spectators I am currently planning to add which might be a push to far for this project, but I will try my best.

The space between the 2 dugouts will be a dice rolling box. The ledges you can see protruding from the dugouts are there to sit the game board on. I am planning on having the players sat next to each other as the opposite side of the pitch is going to have a large spectator stand that'll be difficult to reach over but will provide an awesome backdrop to our games. Once I've finished, I will be happy to provide the .stl files to anyone who wants to print their own stadium lol, just pm me if you're interested.

The parts came off the sprue looking great, only a tiny amount of flash needed cleaning off. I do have to add at this point that the push-fitting of the players led to a lot of swearing; the fit is great, but there are so many bloody spikes on them that I was sure I would draw blood at some point. Gloves/foam-pads recommended!

This set looks great, and as I never actually finished painting the set I bought 15 years ago, I owe it to myself to do a good job of this.

So, I'm planning on having everything in this photo undercoated by the end of this weekend. By the end of the month, I hope to have all my 3d stand prototypes finished and at least the templates and tokens painted.

Wish me luck peeps, this is going to be emotional.
    Hammerhand, I'm very excited to see what you come up with! Those stands look great. I would've guessed they were from 3DSMax based on the default colors, haha. Do you still have any of your old Bloodbowl set other than the footballs?
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Looking forward to seeing how the project goes Hammerhand mate, looks really good

Thanks for the comments & encouragement guys.

Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    Hammerhand, I'm very excited to see what you come up with! Those stands look great. I would've guessed they were from 3DSMax based on the default colors, haha. Do you still have any of your old Bloodbowl set other than the footballs?
    Yes, I've still got the full set. I got a great deal on it from Ebay if I remember rightly, it had been painted by the previous owner but I could tell I would be able to paint over the top. I painted over a grand total of 5 models (an average of 1 every 3 years does not bode well for this challenge!) Below is a sort of before and after:

I also began kit-bashing an Orc team a few years back (yet another unfinished project). Unfortunately they don't really fit in with the new models so I doubt I'll go any further.

Sorry, had to adjust the contrast on that last photo because of the black undercoat.
    How hard can it be??

Test model for the chapter.

What the hell, sign me up too. Kingdom Death: Monster over 12 months. Or at least a monster a month.

I'm staring down the barrel of ~65-70 hour working weeks for the next twelve months so one model a month might even be pushing it...

Doi

Daemonslave, I'm very excited to follow your progress here, I'm even jealous of your to-do list! Some great models. Looks like there's two color schemes there for the LoC, if it's up to us, I vote for the more colorful gold-edged wings, I like the brightness.
    I'm kinda glad you said that. That's the one I have started painting. The other wing (mostly black) is the one I am still converting.

@ Hammerhand, I too am looking forward to seeing this 3D stadium come to life. Are you going to make your own field as well or use the one that comes with the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Zarika View Post
    Test model for the chapter.

Nice, very contrasting colours that go well together. I can't wait to see the entire set! Glad to see you managed to get the images working too!

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    What the hell, sign me up too. Kingdom Death: Monster over 12 months. Or at least a monster a month.

I'm staring down the barrel of ~65-70 hour working weeks for the next twelve months so one model a month might even be pushing it...

Doi
    I've signed you up - I'm sure you'll cope (you've got 2 jokers just in case anyway )

While I've still got a few days remaining of my holidays I've made a start on the Dragon Tyrant for this month. This guy is arrogance personified.

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhand View Post
    ...I also began kit-bashing an Orc team a few years back (yet another unfinished project). Unfortunately they don't really fit in with the new models so I doubt I'll go any further.

Sorry, had to adjust the contrast on that last photo because of the black undercoat.
    Awesome work so far! I love the contrast with the old Empire QB vs the new. Kinda sad to hear about the orcs though, those are great models, I'd love to see some of the old and new together!

Doi
    I salute you sir, that's rough. What do you do for work? KD:M Models are phenomenal, I've got a bunch of the pinups that I plan to use as part of a mad necromancer's statuary. Can't believe the latest kickstarter make like nine MILLION dollars, WOW! How much of that was your money? :P

While I've still got a few days remaining of my holidays I've made a start on the Dragon Tyrant for this month. This guy is arrogance personified.

Doi
    Only $8,999,995.00 worth of minis left to paint! Keep at it!
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...

I salute you sir, that's rough. What do you do for work?
    It's a combination of PhD (40 hours a week), part-time work in a timber yard (~20 hours), and an internship (~9 hours). Plus travel for the PhD is another 10-12 hours a week. Got to pay for my plastic crack addition somehow .

KD:M Models are phenomenal, I've got a bunch of the pinups that I plan to use as part of a mad necromancer's statuary. Can't believe the latest kickstarter make like nine MILLION dollars, WOW! How much of that was your money? :P
    Ended up over 12 million...

And a tad over $1000 USD was mine .

Doi

Great work so far, guys. Love the vibrant red, Doi, very striking.

I've been working on the Stormcast Eternal from Silver Tower first. I wasn't able to start painting this month until yesterday, so I wanted a fairly simple model to begin with. Something I could conceivably finish within about two weeks.

I decided on a cold colour scheme, with various shades of blue and silver. Unfortunately there was a slight mess up during the undercoat stage (I think it was too cold out, but it is winter here and I couldn't wait for warmer weather ). So now the model has several spots where the undercoat cracked during drying, which kinda bums me out. Combine this with the fact that my blue wash turned out too black for some reason (I diluted it 2:1 with medium, but still it was more black than blue) and so far, I'm not too pleased with the result.

Still, I'm nothing if not stubborn, so we'll see how far back from the proverbial abyss I can bring this model.

Although you may not be happy with the miniature, I think it looks really good. I really like the colour scheme, much better than the bright golds in my opinion.

In the past if washes have made the recesses look darker than intended I have washed the miniature with a watered down version of the main colour - not too watery so it will pool but not so thick it will completely cover in one coat - so that the paint covers the recesses but dries allowing the colour underneath to 'grin' through. If done right it can be a good subtle effect (half the time though I add too much water and cock it up though - so if you want to give it a go try it on a test model first).

Yeah man, don't get discouraged! Darker wash just means you've got extra-shadowy shadows, and more room for bold highlighting.

Don't forget Bob Ross: Some of the best artwork in the world comes from "happy little accidents!"

I echo the previous sentiments, the armour looks really good.

Doi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast