Thread: Does AoS work well in small games?

Does AoS work well in small games?

I'm not a fan of pushing big units or expensive monsters around so does AoS work well in small games? I'm thinking 1000pts or less.

Cheers

Re: Does AoS work well in small games?

It seems to. 1k is a good size to start out. You might squeeze in one of the smaller warscroll battalions at that points level.

To be fair, my experience is pretty limited. I was at a doubles tournament this weekend at warhammer world. 1k per player, to make 2k armies. A friend and I went along, basically to try the game out. It was our 5 first proper games of AoS ever... and our first 5 wins. So far so good!

I'm normally a 40k player. To be honest I think 40k is in a mess right now, so I'm giving AoS a go. It's fun. I'm not convinced that the bonuses in the general's handbook are all that well thought-through though. A series of bonuses (moon clan detachment, battle brew and warlord ability I think) allowed my friend's goblin warboss to kill a whole unit of 10 black orcs (or whatever they are now called) in a single combat phase, after they charged him. The pet squig did 19 wounds on its own. Not bad for an 80 point model.

Thanks Mandragola.

I'm still a little tempted by a Crypt Flayer force... Infernal, 3 Crypt Falyer Units of 3 and a Terrorgheist. I'm mostly thinking about a theme rather than how they will play.

Having said that I am also a little tempted by a very small force of Aelfs built around the Mistweaver from the Silver Tower but I'm reluctant to get into Aelfs when GW haven't AoS-ified them yet.

Hello !

With my gaming group, we've been playing very small games (3 Warscrolls max, 1 Hero max in there, no Monsters and no Magic) to try to learn the basics, and it works really well.

I think that that would be around 500 points using the General's Hanbook rules, and for us it allows for games of roughly one hour, so we can cram 3 to 6 games in an afternoon.
    My log : Fantasy ** Updated 28/07/2015** Master List updated !
    Lorcryst's Sales Thread ** Updated 19/12/2016 ** Updated

Thanks Lorcryst, sounds pretty good then.

Out of interest what list do you run?

Well, I'm a devotee of Nurgle ...

At the moment I'm playing a list with a Herald of Nurgle as my General, one unit of 10~15 Plaguebearers (numbers adjusted for what I'm facing ... more for Ogors, less for Chaos, etc) and one unit of either Nurglings (love the mites !) or Beasts of Nurgle.

My usual Ogor opponent has a Tyrant, one unit of Ironguts and one unit of Maneaters (quite hard to play against), my Chaos opponent usualy goes Chaos Lord + 2 units of Warriors, and my elfin opponent likes to take different lists every time.

It work for us, since one of our players is a 11-years old boy and we only play once every month or so (plenty of time to forget even the most basic rules), enough units/minis/terrain on the table to make it interesting, but not too much so it doesn't become "heavy", and with the size of the games we can play two games of 1vs1 on the same 6'x4' table at once (two 3'x4' zones side by side).

One of our projects is to slowly add Battlescrolls to our armies, to see where it goes.

Sounds quite fun.

I've written a small 500pt list of Aelfs:

• Mistweaver Saih (from Silver Tower)
    • 5 Sisters of Slaughter
    • 5 Sisters of Slaughter
    • 5 Dark Riders
    • 3 Spirit Hosts

I know your not meant to make units less than 10 for the Sisters of Slaughter, well not for Matched Play, but units of 10 seem a bit big at that scale. The spirit hosts could seem like a strange addition but my idea is that this warband is from the shadow realm (whatever its called) and so these are less ghosts more shadows of evil intent.

That's the nice thing with AoS, for me : you can take the minis you like, build a story for them, and then roll dice and have fun.

Brings me back 25 years ago when I first started collecting minis for my RPGs.

I find 1000 points to be very fun and fast imho.

I'm planning on experimenting with smaller point numbers such as 500 points or even 250/300 points to introduce my brother-in-law to the twisted, all-consuming world of miniature wargaming.
    "The Emo marines are notable in that, due to several flaws in their gene-seed, they feel excessive sadness, seeing adversity and injustice where there is none, and seeing what does exist as much worse than it is."

I'd love some guidance for a small combat patrol style game.

Sounds like a plan, let us know how you get on mot666!

Best guidance I can give for small games :

Don't use a huge 6'x4' table, the turns spent moving small units until they reach a good position are wasted.

Use terrain, not too much but enough to have at least one piece per 2'x2' square.

Use scenarios, battleplans or custom-made objectives. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING !!! At this level of play, not using special objectives results in a very boring fight in the middle of the board. Good for any level of play, but totally vital in low points games: having to keep one of your three units (for example) in relatively intact shape to control that artefact on the table brings a whole lot of strategic, tactical and situationnal options to an otherwise "too simple" prospect.

That's all I can think of in my "before-coffee" befuddled state ...

Thanks Lorcryst

I've just started a thread in the Rules Dev section here. It occurred that 40k's Combat Patrol could be a good structure to go by.

It works, but a lot of basic core-type battleline units are kind of iffy in tiny games, losing all of their offensive or defensive quality if they don't hit their 20 or 30 model unit size threshholds. If that impacts both sides evenly, then it works out fine, but if one side has easier/cheaper access to more elite units that don't bank on those big unit size thresholds then it can get lopsided.

Not terribly though, and in general AoS scales down to 1000 or even 500 points range a lot better than oldhammer did ime. Honestly, in AoS it's at the higher points were some of the rather painful problems with the system start to be felt (free sniping of heroes, hassles with the movement/piling in of bunches of individual models, crazy stacking buffs & synergies, terrain doing bunches of different obnoxious things to keep track of rather than having fast, simple, intuitive rules, etc).

Do definitely stick to 4x4 tables at the largest and make sure to play with different scenarios and objectives, as already suggested.
    They should have called it "Age of Krell"
    ~ Malisteen

malisteen has it spot on ... I've tried playing my Moonclan Grots against Ogors using our houserule of "3 warscrolls", and it wasn't fun in any way, shape or form ...

That said, a bit of talk with your opponent to balance the forces on "gut feeling" (in our case, allowing the gobboes to take huge units while the gutties were limited to starting size, roughly double the number of wounds of gobs against Ogors, before the General's Handbook was released) works really well ...

Setting rules "in stone" is not the way forward in my humble opinion, since with the huge variety of minis and the wants and desires of various players, there WILL be situations that break even the most lenient of houserules ... so keep an open mind, stay in the "beers & pretzels & laughs" mindset, and allow for discussion and "nudging" ...

Yes, the lack of structure of AoS can be daunting, but that's what I actually prefer in this version over previous editions, the "free-form, take what you want" approach ... works even better than the horrible "unbound" things I could see in 40K (one of the reasons I stopped that side of The Hobby), but the main defining factor is the players ... a "Win At All Cost, Lose My Friends" player will never be fun to play against, but pals throwing dice around silly minis should do fine everytime !

Thanks guys I'm a cider & pizza man but I know what you mean

Heh, I cannot drink alcohol anymore and I have to watch my sugar and grease intake, so I'm more of a "black coffee & cigarettes" guy, but I used the most common expression on the IntarTubez

I'll follow you "'Combat Patrol" thread too, and try to contribute some ideas when/if I have some.

If you're concerned enough about health to cut back on alcohol and sugars, then it's probably worth the effort to try to get off those cigarettes as well...
    They should have called it "Age of Krell"
    ~ Malisteen

Quote Originally Posted by malisteen View Post
    If you're concerned enough about health to cut back on alcohol and sugars, then it's probably worth the effort to try to get off those cigarettes as well...
    I know mate, I'm slowly reducing my intake of nicotine ... I went from 50 cigarettes per day to 15 already ... but those things are hard to quit, much harder than I thought.

And my "no alcohol" rule stems from a psychiatric condition : I'm taking meds to stabilize my mental health that aren't compatible with alcohol ... I'm drunk after a couple of sips of beer lol !

I'm getting old, I need to watch my health now ... no more greasy food, sugars, or booze ... geez it's almost like I'm becoming an adult !