Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gunner! Tank front 1500 - SABOT! Team Yankee Project

Gunner! Tank front 1500 - SABOT! Team Yankee Project

I never wanted to get into Team Yankee. Figured I needed another game system like a 120mm smoothbore hole in the head. But then the Red Hordes crossed the West German border and I was conscripted.

Picked up a Bannon's Boys US Army boxed set going cheap and have placed orders for various other supporting units - ITV/M109/M113/Infantry.

My idea is to paint them up with the MERDC cammo pattern. To me that pattern symbolises the 1980's Cold War era. All the yummy colour plates in Twilight:2000 were done in that.

So far I've more or less assembled one M1 Abrams to start with. I've left the side skirts off so I can get paint onto the tracks and rollers.

Re: Gunner! Tank front 1500 - SABOT! Team Yankee Project

Hi Sigur. Yes I remember your project very well. I even used it as a selling point for another friend who was on the fence about getting into that era for wargaming.

Assembled another Abrams last night. 3 to go. The weather may even be playing ball today for doing my first undercoat.

Undercoated the five M1 Abrams and the M577 Command Centre in Tamiya Army Green. Photos make it look a bit more lime green than it really is, but they are just phone photos.

I've downloaded the MERDC cammo templates for them, so that is the goal for this weekend. Ordered the rest of my force (M113 Mech Platoon, M109, M106, ITV, etc. from the War Store to be here for my Xmas break).
    Last edited by ModernKiwi; 16-12-2016 at 04:43.

Chapter Master

Looks like a good start!

It is really fun to paint the camo patterns.
    Looking forward to see more of this.

Thanks. I'm still waiting for the rest of my order to turn up from The War Store - not their fault, I blame NZ Post for the delay. Picked up another rattle can of Tamiya (NATO Brown) today and a big gloop of blu-tack so once that lot turns up thing go into high gear.

Courier just dropped these off at the front door.

From the weight of the M109 box I'd say there was resin and metal in it. Now I just need the weather to improve so I can start spraying.

Chapter Master

Sweet! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Those M109's look cool.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Thanks. M109's have been assembled and undercoated so I expect to see them finished in the not too distant future.

Meanwhile I've finished the M577 Command Post. Tried some weathering pens for the first time and was reasonably happy with the result but think I'll be a little more restrained for future use.

Cool, it'll be nice to see this come along. I've started looking into some cold war stuff recently given all of the good plogs around. Never really considered the era but pretty interesting given all of the 'what-if' factors, but like you I need more models like a hole in the head. Are you preparing for mostly tank battles or will there be infantry too?

Are weathering pens like paint pens? I can see those being useful, I know some model railroaders use them to paint track given the better control you can have with a pen over a brush.

And good to see another War Store fan, especially on the other side of the world. Neal's the best

Yes I've had nothing but positive experiences from The War Store. And even taking into account shipping costs they're still cheaper than getting it direct here in NZ.

Making progress on the M109's. Need to do the tracks and accessories and then weather them up a bit (but less than on the M577).

I'd just like to say that whoever at Battlefront thought that resin and metal was a good mix for a model is a sadistic bastard.

Sprayed the Abram's with their coat of brown yesterday and then finished the MERDC painting on them too.

Chapter Master

Sadly, it is not just battlefront that has this metal/resin delusion. I agree, metal and resin are a right pig to get working.

Forces is looking great so far!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Thanks Easy E. I'm slowly making progress.

Here's an M1 that's nearly done. I just have to re-attach the M2 and paint the loaders MG and I'll call it finished. The remaining four are about at the same level of completeness. You can just about make out the mud/muck I've globbed onto the rear of the tank and tracks.

I really like how the camouflage turned out, well done. Perfect fit for that nice gaming mat/board!

Thanks. I'm fairly pleased with it. It looks better when viewed from normal gaming distance. It's my first experience with spray cans for applying paint - and I mostly have liked it. It's a pain in the bum that you can't do it when it's cold/raining/humid, but it's very fast and the results are very smooth. I suspect an airbrush would do better still so I may look to get one in the future.

Mud, mud, glorious mud. Added to the tracks and liberally doused anywhere else I felt like it.

I'm calling these ones finished. The other 3 just need me to paint the M2 and the tank commander.

Very nice, weathering is always one of those steps that are hard to start for fear of ruining the model, but the results are worth it. As for spray paint, I agree, it's almost necessary for larger models to get a nice smooth finish. I've been back and forth on an airbrush too but can't justify it... yet

Finished the M113's for my Mechanized Platoon (except for the vehicle commanders).

Moving onto the ITOW and M163's next before finishing with the infantry.

Chapter Master

Looks very good.
    The weathering suits your table very well.
    At this speed, you will have an army in no time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast