Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: FOW Version 4

  1. #1
    Chapter Master mdauben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,775

    FOW Version 4

    The new edition of FOW is scheduled for release in March 2017. It will be accompanied by new source books for the Mid War period, starting with books for Brits and Germans in North Africa.

    http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5411

  2. #2
    Chapter Master Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    4,138

    Re: FOW Version 4

    Planned changes include "hit what you aim", so sniping out specialist teams out of platoons will become a staple. I am not sure wether I like the changes, and ordered me a copy of Battlegroup.
    Inquisitorial Advisor - Battle Group Imperators Aegis
    The Death Korps of Krieg @ FW

  3. #3
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The cold north (also know as Denmark…)
    Posts
    2,596

    Re: FOW Version 4

    Truth to be told, I don't like what I'm hearing about v4.

    Heavens will know that the game needs simplifikation, but strangly they're not tackling the area that needed it the most: the assault phase.

    And going to a 100 point system is a downright disaster...

    I've been looking at Battlegroup lately, and I have to say that it looks more and more tempting.

  4. #4
    Chapter Master mdauben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,775

    Re: FOW Version 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Planned changes include "hit what you aim", so sniping out specialist teams out of platoons will become a staple. I am not sure wether I like the changes, and ordered me a copy of Battlegroup.
    The targeted player does have the chance to switch hits from one team to another, but it requires a roll to accomplish and I think you can only do it with one hit.

    Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    Truth to be told, I don't like what I'm hearing about v4.
    Heavens will know that the game needs simplifikation, but strangly they're not tackling the area that needed it the most: the assault phase.
    I'm unsure of the new rules, but I'm going to hold out to actually read and play them before making a decision. I do agree we are hearing about changes to things that didn't really need it, and nothing about areas that did need simplification.

    Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    And going to a 100 point system is a downright disaster...
    Yeah, I think this is a mistake. I can't see how they can accomplish this without discarding a lot of the flexibility that is present in the current lists in terms of 5-10 point options.

    Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    I've been looking at Battlegroup lately, and I have to say that it looks more and more tempting.
    I think our group is more likely to just stick with v3 that transition to a whole new game. Time will tell, though.
    Last edited by mdauben; 04-01-2017 at 18:15.

  5. #5

    Re: FOW Version 4

    I play Team Yankee and I think its very fun and fast. I quit playing FoW because the two games rules were so similar I started getting confused. Its obvious that Battlefront is adapting a lot from Team Yankee for the v4 changes. The 100 point system is what Team Yankee uses and it has just as much flexibility as anything I've played in FoW. All the 5-10 point options are now either 1 point or 1 point per model. The only really big change in building a list that I notice is that there is less pick one out of these 4/5 unit choices. Team Yankee has some of that but far less than FoW. But then again this is mostly a design choice for the list and I see no reason why they couldn't make it more like FoW in this area.

    Sniping isn't as easy as it sounds. You get to pick how to target and the first hit goes on them but you need to spread your shots out evenly. The defender can then swap all the hits on one team with all the hits on a different team on a +3. And you can keep swapping as long as you like as or you fail a +3 roll.

    One more thing, the 100 point system is just for Mid-War. Early and Late War will keep their current list building system, just adjusted a little for the new rules.

  6. #6
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The cold north (also know as Denmark…)
    Posts
    2,596

    Re: FOW Version 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadth View Post
    One more thing, the 100 point system is just for Mid-War. Early and Late War will keep their current list building system, just adjusted a little for the new rules.
    As far as I have understood it, mid-war will be the first period to change to the new system because that's the period that needs to be updated first. Early- and late-war will be getting a get-you-by update until they get around to updating them properly.

    So eventually everything should be using the new system, though it might take a while.

  7. #7

    Re: FOW Version 4

    Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    As far as I have understood it, mid-war will be the first period to change to the new system because that's the period that needs to be updated first. Early- and late-war will be getting a get-you-by update until they get around to updating them properly.

    So eventually everything should be using the new system, though it might take a while.
    Not quite. Mid-War is getting rebuild from the ground up. Old books don't matter because how you build a list and what list are available in Mid-War is being change. In addition, the game systems rules are being updated and change. In Early-War and Late-War case, BF is only adapting the new game system rules changes. You will still use all the current EW/LW books for making your army. BF is also giving out the rule books that allows you to play EW/LW in version 4 for free. If you want to play Mid-War you will have to buy that book.

  8. #8
    Chapter Master mdauben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,775

    Re: FOW Version 4

    I played my first games of v4 last weekend. Overall the rules work and things to seem to go faster. I'm not sure yet if that's a good thing or not. We did very small scale games with limited miniatures just to get a feel for the new rules. I'll have to see how it goes with a full size army (1500-1700 points). Faster is good to an extent but Im not sure I want a game that's over in less than an hour.

  9. #9

    Re: FOW Version 4

    Version 4 is a lot more similar to Team Yankee than I thought it was going to be. That said, if you are used to Team Yankee then there are several significant changes. I made a list of my top 10 differences between the two here : http://chaosmagicwizards.blogspot.co...f.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •