Thread: Looking to start a faction

Get a tustom citle 'ere! blackcherry's Avatar

Looking to start a faction

Hi all,

My partner and I are looking to start a few gangs from a few factions to play one another. We like the look of all of the factions, so I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick run down of how the different factions play.

What sort of sized board to people tend to play on too? Thinking of getting a few of the new bits of the Lord of the Rings terrain to start a swamp board which can be used in several different gaming systems (Mordheim, Carnevale, LotR etc). Would that be suitable for the world of Malifaux? Other than the small blurbs on the website, I don't know much about the world.

Any help would be appreciated
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Re: Looking to start a faction

A) Mostly, any given faction can be played in a variety of ways. More broadly, I guess, you'll find that Gremlins are the "horde" faction (often containing 10-12 models in a crew, where the "standard" is 7-8); Guild is the shooting faction; Neverborn are the hard-hitting but easily killed close combat faction; Resurrectionists are the grindy/summoning/hard to take down faction; and I'd say Arcanists, 10 Thunders, and Outcasts are all varied enough to defy even those broad interpretations. I would really just recommend buying the crew box that most appeals to you in the moment and go from there. Common suggestions for the unsure are Hired Guns and Hired Swords (the Von Schill crew and the Viktorias crew for Outcasts) because both boxes are full of mercenaries that will be useful no matter what faction you eventually settle on.

Keep in mind that even with those generalizations, Guild do have a strictly close combat master (Lady J), Gremlins can play as an elite crew, every faction has at least one summoning master (aside from Guild, where Sonnia CAN summon, but rarely does), and so on.

B) Malifaux is played on a 3'x3' table, and a swamp setting is very appropriate. The gremlins are more or less analogous to backwater types living in the bayous of Louisiana in the real world, so the swamp is a major setting in Malifaux. My LGS has used LotR terrain to help build a swamp table and it is awesome. The terrain is all abstracted, and the game doesn't use true-line-of-sight, so as long as the bases can fit through openings enough to get around the table, you'll be fine. Keep in mind, I guess, that the elevation rules for Malifaux are...well, not the game's strong point. Keeping terrain a little more flat that you might for 40K or Infinity would probably be helpful. No need for blocking terrain over 3"-5", in my opinion.

Get a tustom citle 'ere! blackcherry's Avatar

Thanks for the overview tomjoad.

Fingers crossed for a christmas prezzie, otherwise I know where my money is going.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

A great resource is the Pull My Finger Wiki. They have info and strategies for all master's and other models, a great resource for Malifaux players.
    Win big or go Home

"War is politics by another means but I personally enjoy just kicking the crap outta some things" Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by FarseerUshanti View Post
    A great resource is the Pull My Finger Wiki. They have info and strategies for all master's and other models, a great resource for Malifaux players.
    Pull My FInger is awesome. Unfortunately, a lot of the newer stuff hasn't been really fleshed out on there yet. Part of that is that people are still getting experience with it, and part is just laziness (including my own, tbh).

Laziness does stop us doing things me included... got to get more motivated this year hopefully.
    Originally posted by Lord Damocles
    New Girl is the best girl.

Commander

Yeah to Tomjoad has it right , pick the crew you like the look of and go from there, maybe pick a dual faction master if there's no standout as you have more options , the starter sets pretty nice too, guild and never born , but they all have merc iirc so can be used elsewhere