Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gangs of Commorragh - Necromunda replacement?

Chapter Master

Re: Gangs of Commorragh - Necromunda replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Don't wanna sound smug, but like I said, why would you expect brand new miniatures in one of GW's small, discount bundle games...
    Well, the teaser pic wasn't clear that it was a small discount game...
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Well, the teaser pic wasn't clear that it was a small discount game...
    Fair enough!* But like my first post speculating on aerial duels/racing between Reaver Jetbikes and Hellions, I didn't think something involving "gangs" was going to be a massively large game. Hellions and Reavers are recruited from the dregs to bulk out a Kabal's might, they're not exactly stand alone armies. On the plus side, not expecting too much means I'm not disappointed with the revealed contents - depending on price.

*GW tends to reserve its boxed games of new miniatures for new armies - Overkill is ideal as it gives someone the basis to build a GSC or Deathwatch army on. The Horus Heresy sets are a good way to steadily make a plastic 30K line. I suspect the Sororitas will show up as the faction in a boxed game before a full army release...
    Last edited by Rogue Star; 11-01-2017 at 03:00.
    “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” - William Shakespeare
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man” - Friedrich Nietzsche
    “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell” - Oscar Wilde

Don't wanna sound smug, but like I said, why would you expect brand new miniatures in one of GW's small, discount bundle games...
    I didn't. I hope it will be more than just a throw away game thats all.

As it is so far I am intrigued but cautious, I'd like to see some game play vids / details. I wonder how much fluff there will be in the book too.

Fair enough!* But like my first post speculating on aerial duels/racing between Reaver Jetbikes and Hellions, I didn't think something involving "gangs" was going to be a massively large game. Hellions and Reavers are recruited from the dregs to bulk out a Kabal's might, they're not exactly stand alone armies. On the plus side, not expecting too much means I'm not disappointed with the revealed contents - depending on price.

*GW tends to reserve its boxed games of new miniatures for new armies - Overkill is ideal as it gives someone the basis to build a GSC or Deathwatch army on. The Horus Heresy sets are a good way to steadily make a plastic 30K line. I suspect the Sororitas will show up as the faction in a boxed game before a full army release...
    Hellions are dregs, reavers are not, at least by the old lore. Reavers are part of the wych cults. Of course it's never made any sense that Hellions are supposedly dregs but much better equipped than the Deldar who are elite enough to actually join the kabals or cults.
    Quote Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
    GW games has never been balanced. So i think what you are looking for is chess. You can play it with painted 40k models if that would make it more interesting for you.

Get a tustom citle 'ere! blackcherry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azazyll View Post
    Hellions are dregs, reavers are not, at least by the old lore. Reavers are part of the wych cults. Of course it's never made any sense that Hellions are supposedly dregs but much better equipped than the Deldar who are elite enough to actually join the kabals or cults.
    In the dark future, skyboards are cheap as chips.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Anyone got the Reaver jet bikes or the hellions...are the kits any good?

Do they go together well and do you think there is much variety within the kits?

All the Dark Eldar plastic kits are good and go together well. The Reavers don't have much in the way of variety, while the Hellions have quite a bit more. All the DE kits are interchangeable so it's easy to get some added variety in that way.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    In the dark future, skyboards are cheap as chips.
    Cheaper than jetbikes, at least.

That's the pecking order. You can bung together something that's pretty likely to get you killed, but look cool doing it. If you save up for longer you've got a jetbike, and that's a status symbol. Your other paths to power are being a good fighter in the arenas and catching the eyes of the Wych cults, or hitching your wagon to a rising star in the Kabals.

Scourges are a whole other level. It costs a lot to get the Haemonculus covens to turn you into a Scourge.

Cheers. Now Scourges would be an easy add-in to the game.

I think those spires would look better with some black edging.
    Last edited by Lost Egg; 13-01-2017 at 06:39.

Just posted over on Dakka by MongooseMatt-
    Just got off the phone from the GW rep - if this has not appeared before, this set will be £35...
    Which, if true, is an amazing price and too good to resist. I'd be seriously tempted to buy a couple [and I'm tight!!] and a DE addition to my Eldar would be guaranteed..
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated! 12/04/17
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

I love the new small games of GW (even if some are unbalanced). I will probably take one even if i have already the minis.
    My Imperium Blog : Faith of the Imperium

WARHAMMER-40k-CAMPAIGNS.COM - Follow this unique website project of 40k campaigns since the beginning on our Facebook!

Wow £35 would be a steal

I'm assuming that it'll be released a week on Sat as more Tzzench AoS stuff is coming this Sat. Could be this Sat tho...

Chapter Master

45euro is a great deal!

Faeit have also reported the price as £35 / $60 / €45 with pre-orders going up this Sat (21st) and released the following Sat (28th).

Ooo soos tempting...

Yep- practically a no-brainer, especially if the eldar kindreds are having closer ties. One thing though -is this a limited release? I'm tempted to get 2 but the prospect of an upcoming eldar character set and book means i'd need to watch my funds. But this set is a seriously good deal and I love both units.
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated! 12/04/17
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

Warhammer Live is going to have a GoC game this week...

Thursday

Thursday is all about Gangs of Commorragh, the upcoming boxed game set in the spires of the Dark City. After a short Mailbag section, we’re right into the action as two of our studio team fight it out for territory and loot with their Hellion and Reaver gangs.

2:00-2:30pm: Mailbag
    2:30-5:00pm: Gangs of Commorragh – Gameplay and interviews with the designers of the new boxed game
    That's a little annoying. I'm hoping that at least some of this content, which for a pre-release game is essentially advertising, will make it out for free viewing. I'd like to know how the game plays before dropping my cash. I know its a good deal at £35 but if I buy it its because I want to play the game; the Reaver & Hellion minis are cool but there are lots of cool minis out there and I have little painting time, I don't want to spend money on something thats just gunna sit there if the game is naff.

BoLS has an article up with some points on Gangs of Commorragh taken down by someone from B&C...

• Price confirmed at £35
    • It’s a completely new ruleset
    • “Hunter” and “Quarry” markers.
    • It has a dogfighting aspect; you want to get on the tail of other models. If you can get behind and stay behind them, you get a big bonus to shooting at them
    • Player 1 moves one model, then Player 2 moves one, then Player 1 moves one etc
    • Each model can make a maneuver in its movement phase “barrel rolls, evasive maneuver” etc
    • Hellions have unique maneuver that allows them to hook on to scenery as they pass to make sharper turns
    • Game doesn’t have a limit of players, but they’ve only done internal games up to 4 at a time. They mentioned that 3 gangs focussed on one (who was leading the campaign) to take them down a notch!
    • You have a “pool” type gang, and you can choose how many to field in each game, dividing your gang into “Hellpacks”.
    • Amount you field obviously influences your likelihood of victory
    • It’s designed with campaign play in mind
    • You have a pool of currency (souls) which you have to buy your guys, and which you gain from the outcome of games. You have to use a portion of your currency after each game to maintain (“feed”) your gang, and you can use the rest to buy upgrades (faster skyboards) or new equipment.
    • You can mix and match Reavers and Hellions in your gang, but they don’t work well together (I missed whether or not you can actually field Hellions and Reavers at the same time with penalties), on the lore basis that Hellions and Reavers don’t get on at all.
    • Each model has 4 levels of experience: Freshmeat, Experienced, Killer, Helliarch/Arena Champion. Not many make it to level 4!
    • Models defeated in play don’t necessarily die, but some will!
    • One upgrade mentioned is additional vanes on a Jetbike that allows the rider more control over their bike (sharper turns etc)
    • There’s no upper limit to the amount of members you can have in a gang, but minimum 3 max 10 models in a murderpack (game), except….
    • A particular scenario called Sky War, where both players bring everything they have and just square off
    Gangs are broken down into one or more Murder Packs (not Hellpacks as it says above) and at the start of each game you randomly determine which one you use. The upside is that the more MPs you have the more souls you collect (its assumed the other MP(s) are out hunting too) but don't spread yourself too thin.

There is a Reaver skill called Blade Vane where you fly at an enemy and try to decapitate them with the blades on your jet bike...nice!

That semi circle template is for turning, the red triangles are jink (I think). There was a round counter with a spike ball on which was kinda the deployment marker, I think.

Oh yeah, apparently there has been a studio campaign over the last 6-7 months so it should be fairly tight, I don't think I've ever heard of a pre-release game getting that much testing.

Another quick point, in the battle there were 4 jet bikes and 6 hellions with the game taking about an hour.

I was interested anyway but this does sound like it could be a great game having watched the vid. Overall it looks pretty fun and the campaign should go down well with clubs, potentially giving this more playability than some of the other board games.

I'd be very surprised if we don't see more content in WD and I wonder if FW will do anything...maybe a Corsair bundle and rules?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2