Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beginnings Of A Frontier Settlement

Beginnings Of A Frontier Settlement

I've been working on a more frontier type setting for various games (Largely D&D and a bit of SoB&H) with a more pioneer/western expansion feel for a fantasy game. The terrain I've been working on for it has more of a feel of the California redwoods or Endor than most of the normal fantastic areas. I started out with some trees that could remove the more unwieldy parts of the idea of trees big enough that you can drive a car through it easily by, well, truncating them to high enough that it's just the base of the tree and still impressive.

Several of them are a bit older, but I'm posting what I've been doing after them since it's the same set.

The Trees

Re: Beginnings Of A Frontier Settlement

Trees Continued

The Incomplete Tunnel Tree

Still need to base and finish the tunnel, the underside of it kind of warped and, so, it needs a base.

The Cabin

The Outhouse

I've got a few more trees planned for this project along with several more of the log cabin kits to use for other things (I want a few more cabins, a smoke house, watermill, tower, and perhaps a bridge) along with thinking of a palisade and gate along with other bits to go with this.

I like your weathered wood- looks very natural.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Love the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    I like your weathered wood- looks very natural.
    Part of it is using different things for different wood sections.

For the Outhouse, Woodpile, and the cabin door, it was pretty much craft paints (FolkArt: Coffee Bean->1/2 Coffee Bean/ 1/2 Terra Cotta...then I used the P3 Flesh Wash, then a light drybrush of FolkArt Driftwood).

For the cabin, I used more of the Terra Cotta as I wanted more of the red for the wood t about more of a 1/4 coffee bean/3/4 Terra Cotta. The windows had a harder drybrush over them of the driftwood along with an extra wash

The barrels were just hit with a cheap cherry wood stain & seal followed by a dark brown wash that I worked in from the bottom up while the stain was still wet.

I have been using Ceramacoat for my terrain (I am working on a Mordheim table right now). I am going for weathered old wood so lots of greys (Hippo Grey, Charcoal) and a range of browns from dark (Walnut, Burnt Umber) to loight brown (Mississippi Mud, Bamboo). I like those Coffee Bean and Terra Cotta colours- I will have to keep an eye out for them.
    The more cream and white woods work for a lot of more basic woods, but a lot of the redwood or other darker woods tend to take different colorations and tend to weather darker. Look at a lot of cabins and you end up with different colors than other things.
    Last edited by SotF; 09-01-2017 at 23:58.

I have been using Ceramacoat for my terrain (I am working on a Mordheim table right now). I am going for weathered old wood so lots of greys (Hippo Grey, Charcoal) and a range of browns from dark (Walnut, Burnt Umber) to loight brown (Mississippi Mud, Bamboo). I like those Coffee Bean and Terra Cotta colours- I will have to keep an eye out for them.

How did you make the log cabin? Great work so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malorne View Post
    How did you make the log cabin? Great work so far.
    Started with the $4 kit most Hobby Lobby tend to have, then upgraded the roof by adding shingles and used blue foam to make the chimney and also replaced the front door. The windows included work well for closed shutters, but you could easily cut windows into it and cut the center of the included windows to make open shutters.

Only word of advice with the kit is to pay attention with the roof pieces because they only match up properly for the roof shape in one direction.

Quote Originally Posted by SotF View Post
    Started with the $4 kit most Hobby Lobby tend to have, then upgraded the roof by adding shingles and used blue foam to make the chimney and also replaced the front door. The windows included work well for closed shutters, but you could easily cut windows into it and cut the center of the included windows to make open shutters.

Only word of advice with the kit is to pay attention with the roof pieces because they only match up properly for the roof shape in one direction.
    This one here? Don't have Hobby lobby here, will look for an equivalent, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malorne View Post
    This one here? Don't have Hobby lobby here, will look for an equivalent, cheers
    Nope, THIS ONE

Very impressed!

Bought another cabin kit and started assembling it. Was going to have pics of the parts of it, but those ended up corrupted during the transfer from my phone to computer...took a few more pics of the basic structure since that's where I stopped.

This one is intended to be a smokehouse, so no windows or chimney...and I'm making my own door along with a vent for it.

I also found a rather neat bull skull charm online that were 5 for a quarter and free shipping, scale is close though not perfect...but it's cheap enough and close enough that it will still works in the end, just a slightly more fantastic addition to the terrain.

The Unfinished Structure

Bull Skull Charm

Got some more work done on the Smokehouse and tossed together what I'm calling a Totem Shrine...both are still being worked on, but it's kind of slower going at the moment.

Smokehouse
    I'm working on a deck for the front of it that will have steps down and a covered structure that a lot of places have to cover a woodpile. After the cover is built up, I can do the roofing for it since both the Smokehouse and it will have the same look.

Totem Shrine
    Largely just need to work on stonework that will surround some dirt path area and separate the flock areas I want. The Bull skull is the same as I'd posted a pic of (I got 5 of them, the one for the Smokehouse is going to be painted before I attach it due to both the wood colors and the interior of it needing paint).

Very interesting trees, functional and grand.

I also like the log cabin style, something you do not see often. How did you cut them to stack?
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    Very interesting trees, functional and grand.

I also like the log cabin style, something you do not see often. How did you cut them to stack?
    For the cabins, they come precut like lincoln logs, however, for larger pices, it's rather easy with a basic hobby drill to essentially use an existing one as a guide/cradle for part of the bit and worked in to another dowel.

Got more done on the Smokehouse, haven't attached the wood pile with cover to the rest yet (Going to need to finish the roofing first because the overlap of roofs would make that harder to do). Decided to put a door over the furnace part and got the deck together and attached in place.

Smokehouse WIP

That's a great idea for a terrain piece.

That's a great idea for a terrain piece.
    It always seems kind of strange how smokehouses are never mentioned in a lot of fantasy stuff, or even appear in artwork since they've been a major part of just about every real settlement for a long time for food preservation. Especially in smaller villages and outposts where they would want to stockpile a lot of food for use at other points.

I've been trying to think of a way to work out a root cellar that doesn't look more like a hobbit hole...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast