Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beginnings Of A Frontier Settlement

Re: Beginnings Of A Frontier Settlement

Well, finished both the smokehouse and the shrine.

The two things I ran across as issues were with the bull skull. The first being that the horns are a bit to smooth and the shape made it impossible to add a texture to them to fix that since the basic shape of them makes that very hard (The buck skull is similar, but the shape of the antlers works well enough there). The other is that the back of the skull abruptly ends (so that it can lay flat against things)...but other than the shrine, I think most of them will be flat up against something.

The Totem Shrine

The Smokehouse

The smokehouse looks great. *thumbs up*
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    The smokehouse looks great. *thumbs up*
    Thanks, I'm trying to build enough pieces to make a more full town/settlement. Got 5 kits today that I'm merging into at least two buildings I've got started, possibly a third with a variation of a root cellar I found a pic of online that I can use pieces that don't fit for the barn or watch tower I'm working on now since the roofs don't fit it.

The Barn

The big thing for the barn is that the roofs are intended to have their supports on the short ends, which neither of the two buildings I'm working on have where the roof would fit...so I've got to work out the roofs entirely. At least with the Barn, I can use the top parts of the roofs as basic pieces for it once I get the end caps figured out, I'm thinking of going with a two tiered roof for it.

The Watch Tower

I've got to trim down a piece of wood to stabilize the platform where the parts meet up, and I'm planning on using either paper or cardboard to black out the interior due to a slight underestimation of how the ungrooved ends that are intended as the bottom levels of the cabins fit together, but the gaps ended up larger than intended where I'd hoped they would fit close enough together to be unnoticeable in the end.

I'm also thinking about a pyramidal shape for the roof of this one rather than the more normal ones.

Could you go with a flat sod roof for the root cellar? Might look nifty...

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    Could you go with a flat sod roof for the root cellar? Might look nifty...
    I might, but at the moment, the look that I've now got in my head comes from a farm near where I live where they have a couple cellars that look like they took a house's roof and put that on the ground with a stairway down.

Quote Originally Posted by SotF View Post
    I might, but at the moment, the look that I've now got in my head comes from a farm near where I live where they have a couple cellars that look like they took a house's roof and put that on the ground with a stairway down.
    Oh yeah, I am familiar with those; that would look great.

Well, got a bit distracted due to various materials I needed to get some more of and had started a well. Made it out of aquarium gravel and tacky glue so far, I plan on working a mix of white glue and fine sand into it as well in order to create a grout type look and to just fill the gaps in it...and build an overhead structure to cover the opening. Was originally planning on a more middle eastern style pool well than the more classic look of them (I might still make one of those at some point as another piece for the settlement, but that's a rather distant thing). I also worked out a better connection point for the two parts of the watch tower by creating a floor for the upper part and adding some craft sticks to the lower part's top in order to have a more level connection there rather than using the wood block I was planning on shaping in order to link them...this was a while lot easier since the blocks weren't cooperating right.

The Watch Tower

The Village Well

Had some leftover 2 1/2 inch rounds I found in my supply stockpile that I used as the well base, I guessed the center and measured a circle using a standard 1" base and marked it. Used that for the interior size of the well walls...though there are a few stones that ended up crossing that line in order to make things fit together better...

Got some more done on the watch tower, with the base it's a lot larger than I'd originally expected, but I like the look of it. Still not done with the roof, so it'll be even taller by the time I'm done with it (With the base, the tower is almost a foot tall...)

The Watchtower

I really like your idea of a pyramidal roof on the watchtower.

Well, got a bit more done.

For the tower, I'm not going to glue everything fully together until I've painted it. The upper tower, lower tower, roof (still working on that), base, door, and banners are each going to be done separately. For the banners, those are going on the exterior of the tower on the sides without the door if my current plans hold, but I'm wavering on if I want the banners on it or not at the moment.

But the tower base is textured and ready for painting now...so only need to get the roof together to get everything together for it.

I put together the frame for the well, but not its roof which will also be painted separately since I want to be able to paint the interior more easily.

I also used some scrap foam to knock out some large rocks that are ready to paint, along with a few of the same round bases I used for the rocks and well that I textured up that are going to have some of the larger ferns on them that I can use for scatter or other options...

I also picked up some more large plywood rounds so that I can get more done for the barn and cellars after I finish these ones

The Watchtower

The Village Well

Rocks & Fern bases

Great work, slowly becoming a nice set to fill a table.
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    Great work, slowly becoming a nice set to fill a table.
    Yeah, it's been a long time since I had a full table of my own stuff at home...mainly I've done a few pieces here and there and a couple to fit various projects such as a bit of samurai terrain that is adequate for a 2x2 board...I think the last full tables I did were an Endor one that I ended up giving away almost a decade ago since I couldn't store it and some really old GorkaMorka stuff I'd put together.

Got a lot done. The rocks, well, and ferns are done. I have the basic frame for the tower roof together and trying to decide if I want the roof to be removable while I work on finishing it. The inside has a basic paintjob but nothing really visible and the windows don't go through the wall since they're pretty much exterior decorations as closed shutters.

The Watchtower

The Village Well

The Rocks

The Ferns

Some really great works you got here, really wish this forum had a like button so I can like bomb your work!

Loth

Quote Originally Posted by Loth View Post
    Some really great works you got here, really wish this forum had a like button so I can like bomb your work!

Loth
    You can 'Rate This Thread'; top of thread, right hand side.

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

SotF,

The log cabin fetish continues at a pace. Great tower mate. Nice rocks and grass.
    Last edited by Colonel Jacka; 01-04-2017 at 05:35.
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

While working on finishing up the roof for the tower, I'm getting more and more glad about some of the side effects of the frontier approach rather than a more "refined" type of structure.

Namely that the shingles actually work better while being a bit more rough and when trying to make them perfect, well, it doesn't look right for the building. This doesn't mean that it can go into full blown chaos, just that they need the roughness to it that fits the approach that would be more hand made and done right. The rows aren't perfectly lined up and there is a shift in the notches by placement.

I initially had it all measured out with lines on the central roof for where to attach and everything else. Looked wrong and so I removed them and smoothed out the surface before starting again.

Currently, I'm most of the way done with the shingle strips, and the corners don't look right yet because they're getting covered. I don't need to do more than make the corners fit right for it so I can judge and trim them to fit right while the underside is left intact. Means that I don't need to tear my hair out judging angles for it.

Tried making a weather vane for the tower, it looked decent until the roof slipped and the thing snapped into pieces and crumpled in other places while I was putting some white glue over the card most of the roof is made out of. Replaced the cap of the roof and doused the entire thing in glue to harden it and make painting easier when that dries.

Only one pic this time, the rest of it looks the same, but this is the side that the glue is fully dried on, the other was done after it and is still got large white sections visible.

The Watch Tower

Finished the roof, leaving it removable for now. Will probably have more pics of the tower at a later point since there were some lighting issues there...

The Watchtower

I like your colour choices- you are more adventurous than me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast