Thread: Kaltheras' Medieval Miniatures

Kaltheras' Medieval Miniatures

So, while Warseer was down I started to get into Historical miniature gaming. I’ve been playing using the Warhammer Ancient Battles rule-set, which means individually based models (except for a few small multi-bases), and unit compositions of “whatever I want” instead of standard sizes. I’ve settled on the Holy Roman Empire as my force of choice as it gives me a long time period (early 1100’s through the end of the 1400’s), and it’s a force that incorporates a large number of mercenaries.
    In terms of miniature companies I’ve mostly used Old Glory Miniatures so far, with a smattering of GW figures. I’m open to using whatever miniature manufacturers strike my fancy (In fact I’ve got some Conquest Games knights just waiting to be painted). But I think that’s enough blathering for now, have some pictures.

First we have a big unit of Mercenary Infantry with spears:

These are Old Glory Miniatures Crusader infantry but I think they serve well a mercenary company formed during the Crusades and now seeking employ in central Europe. These are useful in the early period Holy Roman Empire army as they form the mainstay combat units for your army.

Then we've got a unit of Mercenary Infantry with crossbows

These are Old Glory Crusaders again and I've painted them with the same livery as the big spear unit to imply that they are from the same larger mercenary company.

Here is the start of another big unit of Mercenary Infantry with spears, I've only got the 10 done so far and I haven't got the shields I want for them yet.

Once again they're Old Glory, this time from their Medieval Polish range. The intent was to get very different looking infantry from the Crusades style, even though the technology level of their equipment is very similar, so that I can have very different looking mercenary companies that still form a consistent army.

Finally in terms of units we’ve got my favorite for the army so far, a unit of Dismounted Knights.

These are obviously only useable in the late period Holy Roman Empire army, in fact, since they’re in full plate, they should really only be used after 1450. I’ve gone for the painted armor look on these first 10, which was actually a much more common thing than people realize (though doubtless those of you who populate this project log section already know that). Now, technically these aren’t actually done yet as they still need their devices.

...cont.

Re: Kaltheras' Medieval Miniatures

...cont.

Then an earlier period foot knight.

This would be an earlier period knight than the others (obviously) and I’m not exactly sure of the maker, but I love the model and am quite happy with the paintjob.

Then we’ve got a little bevy of characters, starting with the first GW figures in the log, a pair of Kings of Men.

Apologies for the blurry picture here, someday I’ll take photos with a real camera and not a phone, but these are some of my favorite ever miniatures from GW, from the folds of the cloth to the stern countenances on their faces, I love them, and sometimes you need a king.

Then two captains, one foot and one mounted.

They are both GW LotR models, Isildur and a mounted Eowyn. I use these as captains in the game, when I bother with extra characters, but they’re beautiful figures and I wanted to paint them, so I did.

And finally we’ve got the model that I’ve been using as my general.

He’s another Old Glory Crusader miniature and was supposed to just be the unit champion for a unit of Crusader knights. He may eventually be demoted back down to unit champion but I liked the look of him with his almost Roman style hair and commanding presence. I’m not too happy with the freehand on his shield, but it’ll do for now.

Lastly there’s an army shot of everything I’ve painted so far.

An interesting choice for an army. Not many out there field a HRE army of any period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Well, I got a holiday from work on account of the Holiday, so it was painting time.

While not exactly troops in the traditional sense, these peasants might see service as Militia at some point. These are some of Old Glory's "Revolting Peasants", they were a Christmas gift and a treat to paint. The kit came with 30 so this is only the first third of them. I went for a lot of colors, but washed out, these men may not be rich, but they take pride in their appearance none-the-less.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Brother Sergeant

Very impressive! I might actually grab some of the heavy infantry for my Byzantines - are they 28 or 25mm scale?

I still don't get how people can do that sort of detail work on the dismounted kuniggit's shield. I'm convinced it's all witchcraft!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    Looks, at the end of the day Tzeentch is your everyday geezer. He just wants a simple life of manipulating everyone in existence and causing constant change. Can you blame him after a few aons for wanting to settle down with a bird or two?
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post

Guy's gotta worry about getting a mum for all those Horrors and Flamers running about - he hopes they'll be less disruptive with a cohesive family unit.

@Codsticker Yeah, they seemed like an interesting option for a Medieval army because they have some of just about everything (except really fast cavalry...), so I can try out a lot of different strategies and troop combinations and see what I end up liking.
    @Sigur Thanks, I've long admired your painting so I take that a great compliment.
    @jbeil Thanks as well, the dismounted knights are true 25mm scale (they're actually a touch smaller than the peasants from the last update), but they do come with a nice range of figures (10 poses in that kit and there are lots of command options available from Old Glory). As to the freehand, this is really the first army that I'm trying it out on in a big way and I've been surprised how quickly I've picked it up, I'd say just have a go at it!

Ok, now on to an actual update. So far for this force I've painted up a lot of mercenary infantry and while I've been using the rules for the HRE I haven't really felt it reflected well in the models I've been using thus far. So it was time for a banner or two, and some yellow.

Here's a command staff for a unit in lovely Austrian Colors.

And here's a little bit of a better look at the flag itself. One face shows a double headed eagle, the other has the letters A.E.I.O.U. over a crown, both on a yellow field, both traditional symbols in the late period HRE.

Inspired by that banner I've decided to do more banners, and let the design of them influence the painting of some of my future units, the first is here:

Note that while the initial Austrian banner was historically rooted this one is not (Unless there was a lord in the HRE who had a black tower on a red field as his device, and if there was, please let me know).

So that's it for now, there will be more banners to follow, as well as more troops, and soon.... Landsknechts.
    Miniatures Painted in 2016 -- 222
    Miniatures Painted in 2017 -- 38
    I do commissions - Send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Kaltheras View Post
    @Codsticker Yeah, they seemed like an interesting option for a Medieval army because they have some of just about everything (except really fast cavalry...), so I can try out a lot of different strategies and troop combinations and see what I end up liking.
    What about eastern European light cavalry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Chapter Master

Nice work, lovely selection of miniatures!

Very cool. My partner in crime when it comes to wargaming and I talked about doing something that's a bit more local (ie Vienna/Lower Austria) than the usual stuff. For some reason medieval things are rarely done on the tabletop.

@Codsticker – I can get them through the use of allies, but they're not in the list proper.

@Vazalaar – Thanks, it's been a fun process so far. I've got some figures in today's update that may not fit as well, they'll serve for a while at least though.

@sigur – Awesome to hear that more people are venturing into the medievals, it really is a great period in which to stretch one's painting ability, as I'm trying to do here, with freehands and banners.

And now to the update for the day. First we've got some “proper” Austrians, these are technically English Billmen (from Old Glory) but here they're serving as less foppish Landsknechts with halberds:

And here they are with command:

Fun set of five, I've got 25 more to do, but I'd forgotten how hard it was to paint striped puffed sleeves/jackets so they may take a little while to finish.

Next I've got a couple more banners, these with no bearers yet:

I'm not sure the unicorn one is actually going to see the field, I like the design and colors but I don't think I executed it as well as I might, I think the design is too big on the bottom half. The checkerboard and cross is fine, that'll definitely go somewhere in the army.

Then there are some militia with spears. These are Gripping Beast plastics with Old Glory teardrop shields to replace the round ones that came with them:

While I know that these should really represent an earlier period I actually like the “antique” look of them as a militia with outdated equipment. That being said, if I play earlier periods at some point these boys (and the other 30 from the box) will make more appearances.

Finally I've got a miniature that's not for this army precisely. He's a Scottish banner bearer and I'm very happy with him:

The thistle is obviously a Scottish symbol and the Red Left Hand is part of the armorial design for Dunmaglass which was my family's Clan seat for a few hundred years.

Well, there's more still coming, so thanks for looking and thanks for all the comments.
    Miniatures Painted in 2016 -- 222
    Miniatures Painted in 2017 -- 38
    I do commissions - Send me a PM

I'm really digging the more 'modest' than usual Landsknechts, the stripes really sell them. Well worth the effort.

I like the banners too, freehand is always fun