Thread: New Errata/FAQs are out

Get a tustom citle 'ere! blackcherry's Avatar

New Errata/FAQs are out

As a Christmas treat, PP have released a part errata, part FAQ for Warmachine and Hoards

http://privateerpress.com/december-212016-faq

and issues some designers notes to go with why they made the changes.

http://privateerpress.com/december-e...velopers-notes

My question is - why now? I know the community has been a bit grumpy about some of the moves PP have been making of late, but this does seem to ease some of them - in that it now makes it perfectly ok to have all of the most up to date rules for models free. Not sure about the break from cards for me but I think that's to push the online component they are introducing.

What do people think of the changes? Will it bring any difference to how to play for you?
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Chapter Master

Re: New Errata/FAQs are out

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    As a Christmas treat, PP have released a part errata, part FAQ for Warmachine and Hoards

http://privateerpress.com/december-212016-faq

and issues some designers notes to go with why they made the changes.

http://privateerpress.com/december-e...velopers-notes

My question is - why now? I know the community has been a bit grumpy about some of the moves PP have been making of late, but this does seem to ease some of them - in that it now makes it perfectly ok to have all of the most up to date rules for models free. Not sure about the break from cards for me but I think that's to push the online component they are introducing.

What do people think of the changes? Will it bring any difference to how to play for you?
    I am happy that Privateer Press published that. It's really interesting that they're publishing rules for free and source material separately.

I have mostly ignored PP since Vengeance and exigence. It seems like there have been a lot of changes in that time span.

This will change my purchasing behavior a little. Most of my PP purchases in the past two years have been rule books (I have an almost complete MKii hardcover book set). If the books had no rules but were only source material, I might not have bought them. Part of why I purchased them was to buy a *game*.

Shifting focus slightly, I think it would have been better to package miniatures with cards, even if the rules they had were outdated. Making my own cards is such a pain, and I don't want to use war room.

Eh... I'll probably just keep playing MKii.

EDIT: ten minutes later, I actually like the idea. There are so many miniatures. Although I would not trust any one member of the community to come up with proper designs, I do think that as a designer-led approach with a robust beta test period would lead to a more balanced game. I would have more fun playing if my miniatures had an appropriate points cost, and I think you can only get there through millions of rounds of trial and error.
    Last edited by Scaryscarymushroom; 31-12-2016 at 14:56.

Good points there scaryscarymushroom.

I guess it's just the old fogie in me that is complaining about the seperation of fluff and rules and having to use apps instead of paper and card. But given that most of PP's games are tournament driven anyway, it makes sense to get rid of the fluff entirely for those who have no use for it. Wonder how it will effect the world itself. Will the backgroup become a niche item for PP?
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    I guess it's just the old fogie in me that is complaining about the seperation of fluff and rules and having to use apps instead of paper and card. But given that most of PP's games are tournament driven anyway, it makes sense to get rid of the fluff entirely for those who have no use for it. Wonder how it will effect the world itself. Will the backgroup become a niche item for PP?
    I hope they don't let background fall by the wayside.

There are a few minimum requirements in a rulebook for me:
    1. Engaging rules.
    2. Colorful unit profiles or descriptions.
    3. Good Artwork(!)
    4. A hobby section.
    5. Short stories (but I have to admit that despite owning nearly all of MKii, I've only read the fluff for the Warmachine core rulebook, Khador, and Mercenaries, plus four or five Skull Island Expeditions novellas and two seasons of micro fiction).

For me, Privateer Press is mostly to blame for setting this standard. The MKii rulebooks are really good at meeting all five of those, and they usually have a model showcase as well. Other companies may do one or two extremely well (better than PP), but are lacking in the other areas.

I'm torn. If they make the rules available online for free, I am not sure whether that makes up for it not being in the book. It's certainly a bold move by PP. Literally all my gaming books have rules content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
    If the Catachan Arm Monster became codex legal I'd have a full army
    This would be a Plog if I weren't so lazy. (Updated September 2, 2013)

I must admit, the style of writing PP uses for its world building in its books tends to put me off, but their novellas are miles better.

A game has to have an engaging background and iconography for me to stick with it, and PP almost does that (with great rules too!). Hence my interest in the game that waxes and wains.

We'll wait and see, eh?

Chapter Master

Well, they've nuked their forums (got rid of general discussion and all faction discussion, and a giant pile of community created resources) and discounted the Outriders... er, press gangers. And pursue a relentless and aggressive moderation policy. Totally not as a response to a problematic 3rd edition, of course.

Deja vu.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!