Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WarSeer has been attacked

WarSeer has been attacked

On New Year’s weekend, we were hacked. A message was left for ourselves and our users. We will not gratify the culprit by repeating the message here. Suffice to say this was a deliberate, malicious attack and an attempt to kill a community. Make no mistake about that. The hacker didn’t care at all about our members. Didn’t care about the hard work you put into posts, threads and plogs. Or that WarSeer is a place where you share your hobby with old friends and make new ones. No. The hacker just tried to take down our site permanently, to mess it up so badly that it would never come back.

Our security measures are constantly being upgraded, refined and added to and we are pleased to say that we rebuffed his efforts. We did have to take the site down for just over a day to go through and make sure we were safe and to check the integrity of WarSeer. Taking the chance to fix a few bugs, too, that we’d not had the time to do since the rebirth.

We are sorry that at the time we announced maintenance and could not tell you until now what had happened. We had to do this avoid tipping off the hacker until we had removed all the ways they could access the site. But we wanted to share the facts as soon as we could because this is your site, your community and you need to know. We know you understand the reason for secrecy.

We have had to temporarily disable the new gallery and tapatalk (which we had just reinstalled) to enable us to go through and make sure there are no vulnerabilities there. They will be back this week. People’s uploaded images have not been lost, they are quite safe and once the gallery is turned on again will link quite properly. And of course, photos hosted elsewhere will still embed in posts as they should.

Some avatars are also not showing nor are some icons but fear not! They are not lost and just need activating again this week. You do not need to reupload your avatar if you have already done so since the Rebirth.

If we had not been stronger people, this act of malice would have been the last straw after all the hard work restoring the site this year. For someone to try to destroy all that is a sad testament. But, we are stronger. The WarSeer community is stronger than that, too. As people, from long-term users to those making their first posts on the site, came back to WarSeer, we recognised anew what made us want to take over site ownership and rebuild WarSeer in the first place. Because quite simply, there’s no better community of gamers out there.

We're a site that has earned enmity from some who believe they have been wronged because they haven't followed the rules of the site that are clear to all when you join. But those rules are there to protect all members of our community and ensure smooth running of the forums. Believe us when we say, we're firm but fair as a team and we believe those rules should be pretty easy to follow. We’re always open to a dialogue with those who can politely explain their actions.

But rest assured, WarSeer will not change. We're committed to being the same, welcoming community for all types of gaming and gamers that we've always been. We owe it to you, the users, to keep it running, to keep it alive. We owe it to those friends and family who were a part of WarSeer but are no longer with us such as Brimstone. The actions of one hacker won't change that. This attack has proven just one thing; that like a phoenix, WarSeer will always be reborn from the ashes.

#WarSeerReborn
    #WarSeerForever

Blackcherry and Teh Real New Girl
    Last edited by blackcherry; 04-01-2017 at 16:08.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Re: WarSeer has been attacked

This isn't the first time it's happened, and it happened to Portent as well.

Hopefully as much information as can have been gathered have been turned over to the regionally appropriate authorities. Servers are in the US now, right?

Thanks for posting this update and for continuing to work on security measures.
    Visit 40K Online for all your 40K needs.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

Thanks again for all the hard work keeping things up and running. Kind of amazing that people have that much ill will towards a forum. What was it Count Rugen said? "You've got an overdeveloped sense of vengeance. It's going to get you into trouble one of these days." I kind of hope that whoever it is does get in trouble.
    Painting blog: http://ssilmath.tumblr.com/

Current Project: Thousand Sons (OMGYES!)

Just think what all that hacking expertise could do if they worked towards a WORTHWHILE cause, instead of disrupting a bunch of people sharing their hobby.

Thanks to the admins for all their hard work. I was so sad when Warseer was down, and I'm ecstatic to have it back!
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Defender of teh Wastes DarthSte's Avatar

Good job in bringing it back so quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

Chapter Master

Thanks for the info blackcherry.... I was just thinking to myself: 'wasn't this an announced maintenance downtime?'

Thanks a lot for your hard work.

Now... before fixing icons and avatars (which are cosmetic fixes IMO), please please please fix the in-post photo upload buttons which are more important to the function of plogs!!!!

Thanks again, Beppo
    Last edited by Beppo1234; 04-01-2017 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    We're a site that has earned enmity from some who believe they have been wronged because they haven't followed the rules of the site that are clear to all when you join.
    Such actions serve only to (further) condemn the attacker(s).

Once again I offer my congratulations and admiration for a job well done, blackcherry and New Girl, although clearly it isn't needed. Keep up the good [hard] work.

What a muppet.

Thanks for all your hard work, the hobby just isn't the same without Warseer in it!

Thanks for persisting in the face such attacks. Great work by yourselves and thats pretty pathetic by the perpetrator.
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated with Kharadrons! 01/05/17
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

Marine

Thank you for letting us know. As stated in a previous post, hope you turned over the info and data gathered to FBI and internet security council. Hacking a site that belongs to a group of hobbyists and trying to take it down is just pathetic.

The UK, somewhere between Weston-super-Mare and Bristol

Thank you for informing us, and maintaining the dedication to keep this forum going!
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixguard09 View Post
    Anyone else think it odd that I compared religion to fried chicken and softdrink?
    Quote Originally Posted by kublai View Post
    I think you should take Astraeos advice.
    Astraeos' Other Stuff!- http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...72#post6238572 featuring Soda Pop, Bushido, Malifaux and Infinity! Also features a link directory to my Ostlanders and Space Wolves.

Man, I cannot wrap my head around someone like that. Why would anyone try and hack a wargaming forum? Out of all the stuff that exists on the internet THIS is the place that really annoys them. Weird.

Good job on keeping the place going peeps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted

The Cleave-man Browns

It's probably someone who feels slighted because they were not allowed to spew hate and troll as much as the wanted. I have the unfortunate "privilege" to know a number of people who feel this way in real life.
    Last edited by The Black Shield; 04-01-2017 at 21:01.

Commander

Thank you. Your actions here, and fore thought, do you both credit.

This forum has been one of my chief motivators in improving my hobby skills. Especially the painting and building logs. When it was down I found my inspiration lacking. Now that it is back I am painting up a storm again. I hope to share soon. The point is, however, that your hard work is really appreciated. Thank you.
    Letters from the Front. An IG log. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...uardsman-s-Log
    Riding to Glory Through Fire and Steel! An Empire log
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...52#post6901452
    My Sale and Trade Thread http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...pire-IG-BFG-or

Good work getting it up again so soon, keep it up!
    If you like the Horus Heresy, mediocre painting and terrible camera work, check out my plog! For The Emperor and Sanguinius!

Mat Ward Fact #1432- To appease the few wargamers dissatisfied with his work, Mat Ward has used his own money to set up a help-line for them to call. Please dial 1-800-WHOGIVESA****
    Guild up to join the Mat Ward Defence League!

Seems mad that someone would try and take down a wargaming forum. That's pretty sad. As others have said, I hope you've reported it to the required authorities. People need to be educated that sometimes, you can't just can't do crap like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Astraeos View Post
    Thank you for informing us, and maintaining the dedication to keep this forum going!
    We wouldn't have it any other way Astraeos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerod253 View Post
    Thank you. Your actions here, and fore thought, do you both credit.

This forum has been one of my chief motivators in improving my hobby skills. Especially the painting and building logs. When it was down I found my inspiration lacking. Now that it is back I am painting up a storm again. I hope to share soon. The point is, however, that your hard work is really appreciated. Thank you.
    That's really good to hear Gerod253. That the forums and it users have managed to help someone enjoy their hobby more is brilliant!
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Chapter Master

Sooo...

Pretty much confirmed then, that the string of crashes have been caused by someone with a grudge? Can't really see some random kids dedicating this much time and energy to hack a forum.

Anyway... I hope you get everything sorted and fully online soon. Can't let a lowlife like that win, can we?

Besides, the project threads are kinda dull without the ability to upload images of your progress...

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    Besides, the project threads are kinda dull without the ability to upload images of your progress...
    You can still link to photobucket and similar.

Thanks for letting us know blackcherry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast