Thread: Blackcherry and TehRealNewGirl's "Tale of.." plog!

Blackcherry and TehRealNewGirl's "Tale of.." plog!

Myself and TRNG have signed up to for a 12 month pledge in the Tale of Board Game Painters.

Our boardgame of choice to paint is Arkham Horror, a game about trying to stop an Old One of the Cthulhu mythos from manifesting in the Town of Arkham. You play various characters investigating the strange goings on in Arkham, hoping that you don't go insane in the process. Or worse...

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgame.../va09_main.png

It's a fun game, given to making you read the various descriptions in dramatic voices and creating great scenarios and events.

Anyway, we plan to paint two character models a month. The character models will be sourced from various manufacturers, as we don't really like the look of the Fantasy Flight pre-painted ones. What character models we source will be determined by random chance - which characters we draw during the game basically!

Next post: January's pledge!
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Re: Blackcherry and TehRealNewGirl's "Tale of.." plog!

I' bit of a Lovecraft fan so looking forward to seeing your take on the minis.
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...to-paint-again

Since 2017
    Minis bought - 12
    Minis Painted - 6

Looking forward to seeing what you get up to. I've played this now two (maybe three?) times and each time I may as well be playing as this.

Lost in time and space forever! Until I'm found and then lost again in quick succession.

Doi

Right. Well, here's our pledge for January. The first investigator we will be modding and painting is Vincent Lee The Doctor. The model we have chosen has an overcoat and a hat so we've said he's on house calls... he has a shotgun too which is not a weapon he started the game with but when playing he did get one and it was pretty useful! We are going to create a briefcase out of green stuff before painting him. He is from Rogue Miniatures and is part of their Victorian Whitechapel Noteworthies Set... we will be utilising the other figures in the set later on so watch this space.

http://www.rogueminiatures.co.uk/index.php/white-chapels-noteworthies.html

Here's his bio:

A Yale graduate of Medicine, Vincent has recently moved to Arkham from Boston to practice at St. Mary's Hospital. Since his coming to Arkham, he has seen far too many horrible and unexplained deaths - an elderly victim torn apart by unknown wild animals, a healthy young man whose heart exploded, and so many others. Their faces haunt his dreams, especially the young man's terrified expression. After all this, small wonder that Vincent has begun to wonder if there's something sinister going on in this quiet Massachusetts town.

Tonight, Dr Lee made the decision to investigate the mysteries of Arkham and stop the strange deaths. He is determined to see this through, even if in so doing he becomes another puzzle for the next doctor who comes to Arkham.

Our next model this month (we will be painting one each) will be Sister Mary The Nun. Her figure was purchased from http://miniature-heroes.co.uk/index....ducts_id=29249 and we were really pleased that it looks just how we imagine.

Here's her bio:

Sister Mary has served the Church faithfully for many years, so when she was sent to Arkham to work with Father Michael, a man whose writings she had admired for many years, she felt that she was truly blessed. Now, after witnessing Father Michael's strange mood swings and seeing some of the bizarre practices that go on in this town, she's beginning to feel that she may have been a bit too hasty...

For instance, last night, there was a knock on the door of the church, and when she answered it, there was nothing but a handwritten journal laying on the steps outside. Reading it, she learned of strange cults and terrible creatures that lurk in the darkness. Worse, when she laughingly showed it to Father Michael, he turned pale and threw it into the fire, yelling at her to forget what she'd seen.

Now, gathering her things and quietly leaving South Church, Sister Mary has decided to investigate this town, and in so doing, reaffirm her faith.

We are both really looking forward to this project together. We are going to be using the paint schemes from the Investigator Cards so they look as realistic and identifiable with the characters as possible. Thanks for following along with us.
    Last edited by Teh Real New Girl; 08-01-2017 at 20:23.
    Originally posted by Lord Damocles
    New Girl is the best girl.

Chapter Master

Very cool! These would also make great investigators for Strange Aeons too. If you like Arkham Horror you would probably dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
    Very cool! These would also make great investigators for Strange Aeons too. If you like Arkham Horror you would probably dig it.
    Thanks we might check it out.

Thanks for the interest from everyone.

As we're only doing two models a month and its half way through already, we thought we had best get cracking on the models.

But first the bases. As the investigators are in a town, it made sense to add scenic bases to them all. Naturally TRNG and myself decided to do the bases differently even though it was our first time trying anything like this with greenstuff. Added to the fact, TRNG had a handicap, in that her model is on a small resin base already.

Both bases

Cobblestone base/the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles logo

Cobblestone base/chicken droppings

All in all, quite pleased with the results despite the different techniques used - even if TRNG decided to 'accidently' drop my work a few times when she saw the progress being made . Working on a doctor's briefcase for the Vincent Lee and then it's onto painting.

Comments and criticism welcome and expect more WIP stuff soon.
    Last edited by blackcherry; 17-01-2017 at 09:30.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Bit of an update ... we missed last months target because of... WarSeer ..... but now we are back on track and hope to keep up with it. Here are our first two models Sister Mary and Dr Vincent Lee. As you can see there has been a bit of blackcherry still working on the eyes... he's vacillated between calling them muppet like and like something from the Thing....that will be something to improve upon in future.

TehRealNewGirl privately thinks the good doctor has been self medicating a little too much...

Comments always appreciated. Thanks for looking in.

Veteran Sergeant Great horned owl's Avatar

You two are off to a great start.

I know how much fun it is to find and paint custom miniatures for a game.
    I did this for my boardgames Forbidden Island and Clue.

I don't know anything about Arkham Horror.
    But I've got these sinister spies.
    The one on the top left I have painted as Reverend Green for Clue.
    The other four are still looking for a job.
    (The minis are unpainted, picture is from website Pulp Figures =set PHP 03).

You can let me know if they can fill a gap in your wishlist.

Greetings,
    Owl
    Owl can spell his name ("Wol") and the word "Tuesday" (so that you know it isn't Wednesday). He can also read, although only if no-one is looking over his shoulder.
    (From The house at Pooh corner)