Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: shrubs' Historical Smorgasbord (CoC, Saga, Ronin, +more)

shrubs' Historical Smorgasbord (CoC, Saga, Ronin, +more)

Hi all!

I've been in and out of painting for the past 12+ years, and lurking on Warseer for at least 10 now. It's due time for me to share some of my work, especially after I mentioned I would in another thread

To start, I mostly like historicals, though I do have some Warmahordes, Infinity, and Frostgrave laying around. Over a two or three week stretch of summer evenings after work I painted and logged a 15mm Chain of Command Winter War/Operation Barbarossa Soviet army. When I was ready to start the plog, WHAM, Warseer was down

Better late than never, here they are in all their 83-man glory!

The Soviets are in disarray after a bath! a vain attempt to keep them organized can be seen on the bases

Ready for primer

Some in progress shots:

All Battlefront 15mm

I actually wanted to paint up a Finnish platoon, but the Russians won out as to (1) get the horde out of the way and (2) a more utilitarian option for scenarios and opponents. I'll get back to my Finns. Someday!

More in the next post!
    Last edited by shrubs; 04-02-2017 at 21:46.

Re: shrubs' Historical Smorgasbord (CoC, Saga, Ronin, +more)

As promised, the finished platoon:

It was nice having an army done in such a short amount of time and I'm glad to finally share them. Thanks for looking!

Next up, 4 points of Saga Normans from 2(?) years ago. I never want to paint a horse again, and have 16 to go for 6 points, ugh.

There is one broken sword that does not like staying glued grr

It's hard to tell, but the mounted hearthguards and warriors are on half-bay horses. What's that? Horse breeds as we know them didn't exist in the dark ages? It sure looks nice though

Warlord:

Warlord shield detail

Also 4 points Anglo-Danes, my first army from the Saga release, Gripping Beast plastics with a metal Footsore warlord. Some GB plastic Viking and Warlord Saxon Fyrd parts as well. I actually had these guys built before the Normans, but painted them a little over a year ago. I kept a time log from primer to basing just to see, 40 hours over a month. Not bad.

The Warlord with his trusty bard, Andre the Giant. A metal Gripping beast model who towers over his plastic companions. Fear his musical stature!

Since the plastics are nothing special, I only have some close ups of the Dane axe conversions:

As you can tell, I like my warriors battling it out in Elysian spring meadows. Nothing like mighty warriors prancing through the daisies

Thanks again for looking!
    Last edited by shrubs; 06-01-2017 at 15:48.

And lastly for now, a 15th century Germanic robber-baron (a common occurrence in Germany around that time) warband for LotR skirmish or just about any medieval skirmish game. Perry WotR plastics, the leader is minor converted. I'm reasonably happy with these guys for some reason, and have a couple for primed and ready to paint.

Bonus! My test Ashigaru for Ronin:

Painting up his four compatriots for a 100pt force is where I'll most likely be heading next, especially after starting to play Shadow Tactics.

I'll be the first to admit that my painting could use a lot of work, and the goal for these guys was table top quality. I started painting again about 2-3 years ago after a few years off. Even though I'm more of a painter than a gamer, it's nice to have some direction and a few completed forces. I'm really thinking of going all out on my Ronin force, trying to get 100% of my ability. Not that it'd look much different, but at least I could say that I tried, and that's what counts.

And I apologized for my photography- there are some cell shots and a new (to me) digital camera that I still need to figure out. And a light box too. Regardless, I hope you all had some enjoyment from my work, like I said it's nice to finally share some of the last two years of my painting. I know this was a bit of a rushed overview of some of my projects and if there are any other shots, details, etc you'd like to see let me know.

As always, thanks for looking!
    Last edited by shrubs; 06-01-2017 at 15:46.

Nice work! Always motivating to have a goal.

Loth

Ooh, loads of cool things. Firstly: Congrats on getting the Soviet platoon done so fast! Hope you get to play soon! What do you have planned in the way of support?

Very nice Saga minis. I'm a big fan of the use of flowers on bases, especially on 28mm minis.

The German Raubritter warband seems like a very clever idea. Quick, inexpensive and easy to put together, lots of freedom with the minis if you choose so and useful for all kinds of games.

Have you played Ronin before? It's a really, really cool game. I should play it more often actually..

Don't worry about the photos. They look perfectly fine. I like how soft your painting looks.

edit: for your avatar picture too. That's from the amazing first-person break-up scene, right? "Look at you!"

I look forward to more Ronin stuff!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

"You're just taking up space! How can I be with someone like YOU!"

Love me some Seinfeld. For those not in the know, link.

Thanks for the kind words all! Easy E, nice to see another Minnesotan

Sigur, thank you, I've been following your blogs since the Battle for Skull pass so it means a lot.

Your comment about the softer style has really giving me something to think about, in a good way of course, as it's something I never really considered. I have known that painting cloth and skin is where I get the most enjoyment, where a softer painting style can really shine. Probably why I like historical and infantry the most. Not saying that I'm good by any means, I've got a long way to go and a lot of refining to do.

I'll start taking pictures before varnish so there's more to see too, everything about is under 2 coats of Vallejo gloss and 2-3 matte, ready to be battered around the tabletop!

As for Soviet support, using the 1941 Soviet pdf:

Painted (they're scattered around in the army shot, I swear!):
    2x SMG
    Medic
    3x Engineers (various)
    Maxim MMG
    Extra Rifle Squad

To be bought/painted:
    Sniper Team
    Minefield, barbed wire, entrenchments
    BA-10 Armored Car
    T-20, those funny artillery tractors with couches on them
    maybe an anti-tank gun?

Should cover the basics, but it is tempting to paint up a KV-2, just in case I have an extra 10 support points

Raubritter, it's nice to know the German word for the robber knights, I came across the idea in the excellent Osprey German Medieval Armies 1300-1500. I agree, it makes for an ideal utilitarian skirmish wargaming force- one box of Perry plastics can go far, tho I've added bits from other sets to really drive the Germanic theme, especially where sallets are concerned. Additional guys will probably be more generic, as it seems there was plenty of trade between nations and armor diversity.

Unfortunately no as to playing Ronin, but I do own the rules and like what I see and have heard, especially like how concise the rules are. Hopefully soon!

Thanks again everyone!

Speaking of Ronin, and to show I have picked up a brush in the past few months, my very rough, work-in-progress blue ashigaru:

A lot of work needed yet- hoping to finish up this weekend. Trying to remember my skin tone and white recipes, and then to decide which I like better.

Thanks for looking!

Finished the blue ashigaru! Not the best miniature to start warming up painting with, the mold was pretty bad for this individual. Couple the unfamiliar armor, soft/missing details and lack of practice, and yeah, it's not my proudest work. At least just about anything after this should easy, right

Caught fraternizing with a rival from the mighty Red clan!

IIRC Laquer armor tended to be red, black or brown. I may do a brown test, as much as I like the Vallejo Cadmium red, I do want some distance from the Takeda clan and the Red Devils. Can't be mainstream now

Chances are I'll end up using some varition of the blue, it helps that Vallejo Dark Prussia blue is easily my favorite paint. Oddly hard to work with for a blue given its thinness and more ink-ish natures, but the results are worth it.

Given that my favorite color is green and I actual prefer painting earth tones, most of my recent work has been in the blue/white spectrum?

Thanks for looking!

Sounds like you are expanding your horizons! I tend to work in grey/blue tones myself and now that you mention it, it is funny how we all have our preferences.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Cool, cool. I do love me some Seinfeld too. Watched the hell out of it a few years ago.

Yeah, the Ashigaru moulds must be pretty worn out. The sculpts are great, but some of the casting, especially around the hands, can be fuzzy. If you're interested, I wrote a whole bunch of articles on Ronin (miniatures overview, rules review, 4ground building review, 2 battle reports) for skirmish-wargaming.com!

If you want to expand your Soviets for later stuff get the Lardies Christmas Special 2016. It has about a bajillion Soviet and German mid-war Eastern Front lists. Good luck ever getting to the +10 extra support points. Get a gun of sorts. Just had another look at the Barbarossa support list for Soviets. There IS a lot of fun stuff on there to play around with. All these tankettes and whatnot! Great stuff.

Thanks guys! Eclectic is a good word for it, I have no shame

Sigur, noted on the gun. A man can dream about a KV-2 There are a lot of cool options there, I first looked at the sparse Finnish list, and remember being a little surprised at the Russian list. Two pages worth!

I also remember those article when they went up, will be worth a re-read soon!

And now for something completely different!

Found this bad boy at the local shop, just when I was talking about pursuing some cold war:

Thinking that it'd be some kind of sweet deal like a slightly more involved Flames of War resin tank, I was in for a surprise, this is a little more than a hull + tracks and stuff. I'd like to state that I am not a scale modeler, and never have been. I admire the craftsmen that can make perfect replicas of various things, but I like painting tiny toy soldiers, not putting them together.

uh oh..

look at all the parts! For a model about 5" long!

Flashback a more youthful self, where a frustrated young me is struggling to put a model airplane together and getting glue everywhere and frosting the windshield somehow

Naturally the first steps are for amazingly intricate suspension that will never be seen! this isn't going to end well.

There are eight (8!) parts to make the lower hull!

two down, six to go, or 22 for the whole platoon

Perhaps I should have gone for the resin btr-70 that have to be ordered by telegram and delivered by carrier pigeon from overseas, but I will prevail given how much cheaper this option is.

It's actually not a bad kit, a skilled craftsman could work wonders here. We'll see how it works for wargaming but I do have about half a tube of Testors' plastic welder into this already, so it'll be sturdy. Plus with a decent base underneath so that will protect the fiddly suspension bits. hopefully.

I'm not abandoning Ronin, I'm planning on trying a green armor scheme soonish, as ahistorical as it would be. Just a diversion for now

Thanks for looking!

I have a 1/72nd scale LAV-25 that I was just as horrified to open and see how many parts there were. It went back in the box and back into the cupboard.

Good luck with yours.

Hell yeah, proper scale modelling! Nice one. I do Cold War in 20mm as well. Good stuff. What rules are you looking into using? Chain of Command? Force on Force?

ModernKiwi, thanks! My track record with scale modelling is pretty poor. I've already lost two parts on this one that flew out of the tweezers. Can't wait for the next two... or maybe not.

Sigur, I'm leaning towards No End in Sight with FoF as back up. And I've been definitely been using the Cold War Gone Hot supplement for force organization and what not. What struck a chord when I was shopping around for rules was the designer's perspectieve, as it mirrors my personal opinions about war and wargaming. Not for everyone but we'll see how it plays out.

I have to admit, CoC Cold War has definitely piqued my curiosity, going to look into that asap.

A quick BTR update, all suspensions done, with only one shock part lost:

And a few days later, everything but the details and some clean up:

And as I expected, the fiddly suspension is completely hidden! And the missing piece will never be noticed, and that's what really counts.

As a wargaming model, I'm debating leaving the fiddly details off and gap filling the dimple locations, especially after seeing how fragile (and easily lost) some of the parts can be. Not that I'm being lazy at all-

Elheim 20mm Russians are en route, tho a new project may derail this too (I know ) I may be have found an opponent able to play some Chain of Command in North Africa soon! Naturally my Russians are unusable, but who doesn't like more toy soldiers?

Thanks for looking!

It's a nice looking beast when assembled. I totally agree on keeping off the fragile bits if you're going to be wargaming with it. They're a "SNAP" waiting to happen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast