Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: shrubs' Historical Smorgasbord (CoC, Saga, Ronin, +more)

Re: shrubs' Historical Smorgasbord (CoC, Saga, Ronin, +more)

Modernkiwi, thanks to you now I feel less guilty about deciding to save the frustration and leave it as it is

Now a blast from the past! A labor of love and research, a 500pt Flames of War (2nd ed) Australian Divisional Cavalry force. These bad boys are from many years ago, and all my research is lost to the past, but the flags and tank markings do correspond with a specific force.

Who doesn't love Crusader II's

The whips are bristles from a 2"-3" paintbrush, the flags may be thin brass? The flags do correspond to squadron/command identifications. I believe I still have the hand drawn cheat sheet I made, I'll have to look for it

Australian infantry support platoon, complete with campy, er, cool hats!

I had to reshoot some photos while the sun was going down, so the colors are off. Of course, when I try to use proper lighting once it's dark, my camera thinks my apartment is redshifting, might be time for some LED's and a light box.

The infantry are based with some Liquitex resin sand, which as seen here I never got around to painting. It's easily been some of the handiest stuff I've ever used for basing, good texture and easy to use without the mess of traditional sand, and I like it much more than wood putty. Naturally, I can't find it anymore, and my little pot from 8 years ago is almost out.

I always wanted to do a rival Italian Fucilieri infantry force to square of against and have both sides of the theater, but it never really took off. Now as I mentioned in my last post, my cohort has a completely painted British 8th Army infantry force, based for Flames of War. A bit of rebasing and some filling some support options will make for a fine Chain of Command force, chomping at the bit for a rival. So naturally, I have an excuse to finally do my Italians!

Still have some options to buy, and reinforcements from Peter Pig are on the way, I haven't been this excited about a project in a while

I have access to the original first edition Italian rule book and some paints, and have started some preliminary research. Really looking forward to this, I hope you guys will join me for the ride!

Thanks for looking!

Enviva Italia! Can't wait to see more.

Yeah! Italians!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Thanks gents, Avante Savoria!

One or both of these may seem familiar, but (poor) imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right? And I just had to steal the tablecloth idea

To be fair, I painted a partial FoW 1500pt Bersaglieri army box around 10 years ago for someone else and these were handily still banging around, primed no less, plus a little extra to round out the platoon. The men for the table objective will be painted with the rest of the army, but am fond of the look of a plate of pasta with no one around. What's a better objective/jump-off point than a warm meal? The phonograph is a detail I never bothered to notice before, I am inordinately pleased with the discovery

As I learned with my Soviets, I'm trying to paint the less interesting miniatures, to me at least, first. So after once the project burnout sets in after painting the meat and potatoes of the force, I'll already be done

The burned out tank was more of a test for armor color. I always felt that the tanks I painted before seemed too yellow using the FoW guides. This time I used the recommended Vallejo Green Ochre, followed with a VMC Smoke wash, Green Ochre again, and higlighted with VMC 914 Sand Yellow. I'm pleased and will be using this moving forwards.

Found this outside my door today:

Fucilieri reinforcements!

A couple more options are in route, then a massive building/basing/priming party- woo.

In other news, I figured out the macro on my camera. Might go back and retake some photos, especially of the Div Cav, there's some details in there that I couldn't quite catch.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by shrubs; 31-01-2017 at 21:20.

What's the quality on those Peter Pig vehicles and figures? Asking on behalf of a friend who is totally not me.

Nice FoW stuff shrubs, the painting is lovely and crisp.

Well, as we all know there's only ONE way to paint Italian tablecloth anyway. So cool to see such relatively non-mainstream (stealing an expression you used on another thread there ) piece be painted by two peeps within a relatively short timespan. It's just a great little bit. Sometimes, just sometimes, you gotta like BF. As for the grammophone - I KNEW it wouldn't really show in the pictures I took (especially as I got a dude standing next to it), but yeah, it's a very cool little detail. If you look at Jump-off Points for Germans it's never anything that looks as cosy!

@ModernKiwi: based on the limited experience I have with them: They're perfectly fine.

Chapter Master

Cool fow army, will you expand it?
    Dessert is my favorite setting, can't wait until v4 and a reboot of the Africa campain.

Deathcat- thanks! I found these painted up incredibly easily.

ModernKiwi, this is my first go around with Peter Pig as well, so take it with a grain of salt, but you can tell your 'friend' that the quality is pretty good. For the Italians I have, the castings are sharp and detailed with no excessive flash, and infantry pair up with Battlefront well. It should be noted that the infantry sculpts are definitely a different style, whereas size is a good match up, the deal breaker is Peter Pig's faces for me. Some literally took like The Scream, no joke. The vehicles are well thought out and easy to put together, all metal so no pain-in-the rear resin. Over all I'd recommend them.

Sigur, agreed 100%. I was going to paint it another color just to be different. Then the red paint was out for the pasta sauce, and well... I'm glad I could find it since I don't even think the piece is readily available anymore. Which is a shame, because of the level of character. Sometimes it seems like the old BF releases were labors of passion that never really caught on, unfortunately.

KaldCB- Thanks! I'm partial to the desert as well, there's so much character. There's rumblings of starting up Early War North Africa using the Hellfire and Back book. This time I'd like to do a New Zealand Divisional Cavalry, with lots of Vickers light tanks and carriers, then perhaps an Italian tank company. Probably after the Italians and my Cold War projects.
    v4 is news to me, seems like once again I'm late to the party considering I just bought Hellfire and Back

Flames of War seems to get a lot of flak, I recall someone on another (notorious) forum dubbed it "Warmaster Fantasy Tank Battles," which makes me laugh. I may start looking into alternate rule sets, given the interest in some more tank based desert combat.

In other words, I actually did some modeling! Two 6"x6" minefields and three 2"x6" barbed wires (it hard to see the toothpick posts, it'll be more obvious after painting), inspired by this guide. I also picked up this set for entrenchments. I have a few roadblocks laying around, so most of the defensive options for Chain of Command will be covered for each player.

Ready for primer! Spent a quiet morning spreading ground goop. There are 90+ infantry here plus vehicles, covering just about any option. To fight off the insanity of painting another horde I'll probably stick with small groups of the basics to keep quality up. Platoon + common support first. Repressed memories of the Russian debacle are slowly coming back, at least this go around it's 90 guys for all the options, over approximately the same number with only a handful of options

You can see the labeling on the bottom of the popsicle sticks to try and keep this mess organized. I found about four guys per stick works well for painting. Should be unseasonable warm tomorrow, bad for hockey, perfect for priming! When life gives you lemons I guess.

Bonus! Mid-war Australian Division Cavalry redux, now that I can use my camera slightly better now.

You can actually see what's going on now

Thanks for looking!

Did some priming a few days ago, for being a degree above freezing, the primer set well. All of the CoC Italians plus some giant Russian friends (from the cold war future) joined the ride:

the foil baking tray was the most handy transport I had

Finished up the "infrastructure" options for Chain of Command. Two roadblocks, two mine fields (6"x6"), three barbed wires (2"x6") and eight pre-painted entrenchments. The pre-paint is close enough for now but I may try to tie them in a little better with my terrain colors. I'm pleased with the minefields, I may do the same texturing on more organic shapes for difficult terrain for CoC/FoW.

Another one from the old archives, Late War British Motor Platoon, minus some Stuarts. I still don't know why I painted these, I didn't really know then and I sure don't know now
    May rebase for CoC if need be, the carriers will probably be stripped and join the Div Cav

Thanks for looking!

Finished the last bits of the jump-off point:

Thanks for looking!

Now I want to sit in the sun and eat some pasta!

Chapter Master

Great progress. I like the objectives.
    Just waiting for the new release to start some desert germans, one of mye favorite theathers.

Modernkiwi, I hope you don't mind some sand in your pasta

KaldCB, thanks! Hopefully with the release desert range models will be easier to find, some things are a little hard to find right now.

The recent support batch, a 47/32 anti tank gun, a 65/17 mountain gun, a medic and some crew:

Some touch ups required, but I'll blame my nasty cold

Very nice indeed. Very handy to have fortifications, barbed wire and all of that at hand.

Thanks Sigur

A dedicated painting effort followed my recovery from a cold:

Every support option I have available is now painted, putting me at just over 50% completion. Plus a bailed tank crew in his blue coveralls for an objective, and the platoon HQ posing in his fancy Sahariana jacket

Left to right vehicles:

20mm Mitragliera Oerlikon, truck and ground based
    Lancia Fiamme Flamethower tank (6 support points but how can you not)
    Autoblinda AB41
    M13/40
    M11/39

Infantry support, left to right-ish
    47/32 AT w/ crew
    65/17 w/ crew
    Medic
    Flamethrower team
    Solothurn AT rifle
    2x Brixia 45mm, plus crew
    MMG w/ crew

extras for engineers, gun crews, sniper team, forward observers for 81mm mortar

Support options that I'd be missing:
    Car option
    Fiat L3/35 tankette
    engineer section/ scout squad
    AB40, which is a rarer and earlier version of the AB41, but with turret mounted twin machine guns

Thanks for looking!

Magnifico!

I love it all. I agree with you on the flamethrower tankette.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Easy E- thank you, you are being too kind!

Half of the platoon is done! 20 more guys left. It took six hours from base coat to final touch ups on this batch, not bad.

As you can see, the rightmost soldier in the right LMG squad has decided he has much better things to attend to than fighting silly wars in the desert

An (un)interesting note, there are two Peter Pig miniatures among the BF in this batch. Given my batch painting technique, things would be going smoothly, say painting all the puttees on a stick, until I hit a a certain miniature. I started to notice it was one of the two PP boys every time. Nothing negative because the miniatures are great, but it was just jarring enough disrupt my work rhythm. Who would have thought that sculpting styles for the same subject in 15mm could be that different when it comes to painting

Thanks for looking!

Italians done

Except for varnish but hey

Thanks for looking!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast