Thread: All the latest from Middle-earth (Hobbit/LotR SBG)

All the latest from Middle-earth (Hobbit/LotR SBG)

With the formation of a new Middle-earth department at Games Workshop (now under the Forge World banner, although existing items are still sold via GW), plenty of new things have happened in the range as of late, with much more coming up soon.

To recap what was going on in the period Warseer was down:

Re-released models. The eventual goal is to have every profile in the game playable again, by having at least one version of that character on sale. Models thus coming back into production (molds allowing, otherwise new ones will be sculpted) will return in the material they ware last sold in, i.e. metal (as for the Shade and Scouring of the Shire) or Finecast (Captain of Dale and Girion, for example). Some sets and models will be exclusive to Warhammer World and events attended by Forge World (we've previously had the return of the Final Fate of the Witch-king and Defenders of Rohan, and the old Amon Hen set with the shot down Boromir has now been added to that list - all in metal). I don't know how many re-releases we'll see when new models are being released as well, but iconic characters required to make an army playable and those going for silly prices on ebay (such as Gandalf the Grey on horseback) are a priority. Finally, the Forge World Weathertop kit is also to make a comeback.

Scenery. The Lake Town houses have a seperate thread on here, and they don't require much explanation anyway. Probably the last plastic set for a while, and the same one already in production at the time of Battle of the Five Armies (parts were already visible in the background of various promotional pictures).

A new book. There and Back Again is intended to replace the Desolation of Smaug and Battle of the Five Armies supplements, adding and altering profiles and scenarios to much more accurately follow the films, rather than being based on an early script like the previous publications (that thus contained many errors due to last-minute changes). Aside from a few other revised profiles, it does not alter any material in the Unexpected Journey book or the LotR sourcebooks, nor does it contain the basic rules to the game - it is supposed to be used alongside the Unexpected Journey book. Notable additions to the game include bonuses for armies chosen from a single list, a system that will also feature when the LotR profiles are to be updated and revised later this year - although it has been confirmed thematic alliances should provide similar bonuses, in order to reward thematic lists without banning other types. After huge demand the book went out of stock rather quickly, but it should be back within weeks.

And finally, new models! The first Forge World Middle-earth miniatures to be released were the Iron Hills dwarves, starting with Dain (on foot and mounted on his war boar), infantry and the ballista. They have just been reinforced by a command set with captain and banner. https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/T...yId=cat2210039 Their opponents in Azog's Legion have started with Gundabad Berserkers https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Gundabad-Berserkers, and will soon be joined by some Ogres, that were already on sale at the Open Day on January the 2nd: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...dd&oe=58E09E09
    Coming soon are also the massive Gundabad Troll: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...0e&oe=58E68A77
    Iron Hills cavalry: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...22&oe=58E2F093
    (and painted) https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/l/t1...46&oe=58E65765
    And figures either to be used as dismounted cavalry or alternative infantry (shields are seperate): https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...c2&oe=58DEA937

After that, we'll likely see the chariot and Thranduil on stag at some point, both of which have been worked on already. Will keep you updated!

\m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

"War is not about who is right, but who is left"
    - Ad finem temporum -

Chapter Master my_name_is_tudor's Avatar

Re: All the latest from Middle-earth (Hobbit/LotR SBG)

Thanks for the round up! I love all this new stuff, very finely detailed models. Those rams are awesome.

Get a tustom citle 'ere! blackcherry's Avatar

Great idea C-Coen. If you can keep this updated regaurly, it would be a real treat for LotR fans (I'm one of them!).
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Will do! Tend to keep a close eye on the latest info, so will pass it on whenever it arrives. As soon as I have the time, I'll also include some bits and bobs that I got from Jay Clare (the new rules writer) at the Open Day back in October, to give some indication of the future ideas and plans. (I've written two very lengthy posts on these in the past, but some summarising and updating is in order.) Now that the Hobbit has been finished in proper fashion (the book that is, many more lovely models coming up!), they will once again revisit the LotR era, updating old profiles and naturally expanding some lists. They already have more plans than fit in the time they have available, but if the enthusiastic community keeps supporting the game, it looks like we've got rather a bright future ahead of us (something few people dared dream of just a year ago).

- Ad finem temporum -

Would love to read the bits and bobs you got from Jay Clare. Do you have a post on the site about it already?
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Had a quick look, over half of what I wrote previously concerned the now-released There and Back Again book (they had a pdf printout available - pretty cool to have a look 2.5 months before its release), so these would be the more relevant parts nowadays:

And what of the far future? What would you say of a little system that encourages not just thematic lists, but also thematic alliances, while discouraging (but never outright stopping!) the very much less-historical ones? A bit of love for those less-privileged armies that haven't seen an update since the game's release 15 years ago? And what if armies currently not fully playable due to a lack of unnamed heroes, won't become more playable by getting new unnamed heroes, but simply not requiring any to lead them? [I.e. Army of the Dead, Woses - no requirement to take Captains of Dol Amroth or Bandobras Took to lead those troops if you happen to want a full army of them.]

The "everything you've seen in the movie (or read of in the book)" [as has been the mantra for the recent TABA expansion] is also very much the strategy for the many potential releases for the years to come. This could include a lot of topics already visited in previous supplements: Pelennor Fields was specifically mentioned as a possible first expansion, as it's iconic and features a lot of different forces, providing an opportunity to get the other Fiefdoms in the game as well as Elfhelm (maybe we'll see a proper profile for Skully too?). Helm's Deep and a more book-oriented Last Alliance (e.g. tying in Mirkwood - and yes, giving those poor Numenoreans some love) were mentioned as well, among many other things (basically, there is no shortage of ideas!).

In terms of rules, more recent releases have had a tendency to make troops or heroes unique via special rules (logical given the limited scope the profiles provide), and this is a trend that's very much to continue - including in the big 'revision of the LotR-era profiles' that's coming up. This could be true for both troops (Easterlings vs Warriors of Minas Tirith) as well as heroes, especially those classics that are just captains with an extra point of Might (even worse when they're duplicated, as with Grishnakh and Gorbag). Although one particular profile has in fact seen a number of changes over various editions, he isn't much better for it: the poor Balrog. I've got Jay's word for it that he'll definitely live up to his cost of 400pts. Looking at the terrific, scary and fantasticly thematic rules that little Smaug has, I sure am looking forward to this one.

Finally (I think), the new studio is part of Forge World in more than just name, something which will likely become visible in the miniature releases too. For example, we'll see heroes released with fancy display bases, either being supplied with a seperate gaming base, or having the latter slot in to the display. While the current focus may be on making models (or indeed entire armies) playable by having figures for each profile available, there also seem to be quite some ideas for 'updated' (more dynamic or just better) versions of existing miniatures.

- Ad finem temporum -

Worth noting: that Jay character also happens to have won the Great British Hobbit League (a league of dozens of official and unofficial SBG tournaments in the vibrant UK scene) two years in a row now. Much as I like thematic armies and scenarios, I think it's good news to have a player very much in sync with competitive play in charge of the rules development, ensuring that new releases are more balanced and rules a bit tighter than perhaps was the case with previous publications. Both he, the big boss Adam Troke and sculptor Keith Robertson are also regular posters on the GBHL Facebook group (open to non-Brits too!), so they do seem to keep their finger on the pulse. Hence: Elfhelm, expanded Numenoreans, playable pure Army of the Dead...

- Ad finem temporum -

The Gundabad Ogres are up for sale, along with a formation called the Gundabad Line-Breakers

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/T...uestid=5688774

Some new releases up for pre-order, ready in time for the GT: the Dwarven goat riders have arrived!

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/I...ls-Goat-Riders

As well as some guys that are to be used as dismounts (shields are optional), although they can also be outfitted to be alternative infantry, including one with a mattock:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/I...es-with-Spears

Weathertop has also finally been re-released

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/T...-at-Weathertop

And, a nice touch, this one has the Knife in the Dark scenario attached, for those that didn't have it yet:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resourc...thertop-FW.pdf

I still seem to fail at posting images (attempt removed from above), will see if I can find the problem later.

- Ad finem temporum -

Whilst I'm not a fan of the prices, I love the idea of my Dwarves having goats to ride into battle!

Thanks for the share C-Coen.

I suppose the prices are similar to those of the 40k Krieg cavalry.. not that it helps make them lower, but not entirely surprising. Don't think many players will on their own manage the 24 required for one of the scenarios in the book though!

They sure are pretty however. I like my Dwarves to have both feet on the ground and look their enemy straight in the, well, torso, but as mounts go, goats are pretty sensible for hardy mountain dwelling folk. Look a treat to paint up as well.

In other news, next week will see the Grand Tournament in Nottingham. With the goats up for general release, there is a chance they're saving the massive Gundabad troll for a surprise pre-release at the event. As has become a tradition, there will also be a little Q&A session with the team, with some interesting tidbits and sneak peaks I'm sure. Will keep you updated!

- Ad finem temporum -

Lovely new things! All to be released within the next three months.

Thranduil on Elk (with massive display base, won't include a dismounted version)
    https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...fd&oe=5941A3A0

Trolls:
    https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8f&oe=597101E4
    https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a9&oe=59725570

Dwarf command with mattocks:
    https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f8&oe=592674B3

Dwarves with mattocks:
    https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...3d&oe=592D119D

A bit of news from the seminar (thanks to Andreas of STF):
    -Weathertop sold very well, more in the first week than they had expected for the first month. Indeed, the range is doing very well in general, which could increase further investments in the range (no word on more plastics, but they're certainly more likely to occur in this context).

-As mentioned before, the pure-army bonuses in the latest book were a bit of a test, and are set to continue in the future supplements.

-Apparently, there will be some type of weapon sprues for conversions.

-Although the team obviously focuses on releasing new models, we may see alternative figures for existing characters when sculptors simply work on them in their free time - the Iron Hills ballista has been an example of something that mainly exists because the sculptor wanted one, and thus simply decided to create it.

-An upcoming WD (the next one or the one after that) will have rules for fighting in Lake-town.

-The team will in the fairly near future attend events around the world, making the event-exclusive models more accessible to those beyond the UK.

-Finally, there may be some unexpected new directions for future expansions, not just the more obvious ones.

- Ad finem temporum -

Chapter Master

Thanks for the updates.
    PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
    HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM? MAGNIFICANDUM?
    ERROR AUT SANUM? O FORTUNA EST!

QUA?

The rather attractive Thranduil on Elk figure will be up for pre-order on the 21st:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HobbitComingSoonThranduilFeature-320x320.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	229780

Name:	WD009_PW_Hobbit_Stag-500x364.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	229779

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...ng-approaches/
    Despite the display base, the price will apparently be similar to Dain.

Cue speculation as to what's next - will the chariot make it's long-expected appearance?

- Ad finem temporum -

And up for pre-order now - 40 quid as mentioned before. Pretty glorious.

Name:	99561463001_ThranduilOnElk04.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	229934
    https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/T...lm-on-Elk-2017

- Ad finem temporum -

Chapter Master my_name_is_tudor's Avatar

That's 40 but the Blood Bowl Deathroller is 38... what's going on?
    I am on Twitter.

- Ad finem temporum -

Defender of teh Wastes DarthSte's Avatar

Wow, that chariot is fantastic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

Ah... no. Just, no. 😕

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk