Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Some 4th/5th/6th ed. questions

Brother Sergeant

Re: Some 4th/5th/6th ed. questions

Eltharion was always my favorite High Elf character, I loved every aspect of his background. And personally, I liked the evolution to blind Eltharion, and lament that 7th decided to rip that away from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrogamer View Post
    Eltharion was always my favorite High Elf character, I loved every aspect of his background. And personally, I liked the evolution to blind Eltharion, and lament that 7th decided to rip that away from us.
    Fricken elf players - always making the discussion about their army.

Seriously. It isn't just about you.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try Conqueror: Fields of Victory!

Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wish someone came up with a decent story about how a decadent galactic commonwealth descended into chaos and civil war? Look no further.

A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.

Brother Sergeant

Well, players complained that the story wasn't advancing. 6th advanced the story, and players complained that the story advanced. 7th hit the reset button, and players complained that they weren't advancing the storyline. Then we got End Times and AOS.

I think EVERY story progression in 6th was good, not just the Elven ones. Yes, even Valten.

Well, players complained that the story wasn't advancing. 6th advanced the story, and players complained that the story advanced. 7th hit the reset button, and players complained that they weren't advancing the storyline. Then we got End Times and AOS.

I think EVERY story progression in 6th was good, not just the Elven ones. Yes, even Valten.
    The interesting thing about this is that GW knows it doesn't have to advance the timeline to make interesting stories. Isn't there a whole sub-genre about the Horus Heresy?

GW could have done the exact same thing by revisiting historical wars, challenging players to overturn the verdict of history. I mean, that's what historicals gamers do all the time.

As a bonus, no one gets annoyed because their "baseline" list is still there waiting for them.

If I ever create a fantasy setting, that's what I'm doing.

Don't hold your breath, though.

Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wish someone came up with a decent story about how a decadent galactic commonwealth descended into chaos and civil war? Look no further.

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar von Toussaint View Post
    The interesting thing about this is that GW knows it doesn't have to advance the timeline to make interesting stories. Isn't there a whole sub-genre about the Horus Heresy?

GW could have done the exact same thing by revisiting historical wars, challenging players to overturn the verdict of history. I mean, that's what historicals gamers do all the time.

As a bonus, no one gets annoyed because their "baseline" list is still there waiting for them.

If I ever create a fantasy setting, that's what I'm doing.

Don't hold your breath, though.
    Fricken' historicals players, making everything about their playstyle.

Yeah, one of the cool things that GW did in 6th was encouraging War of the Beard, including showing the differences between how the armies looked then vs. now, including black powder not existing yet. They didn't hit the reset button to get us there, just gave us the option to play it. Warhammer in general was good about that. Most of the special characters that were given rules on the website weren't current, per se, and you were playing them after their demise. I liked the fact that they had that in-built while at the same time establishing things like the Captain of the Black Guard dying in battle with Tyrion in a story in the High Elf book, and if I took the time to look, I'm pretty sure I'd find other examples in the other army books.

I don't mind advancing the story in places, but it should be a slow burn. Everything they've done to advance the storyline in AOS and 40K recently has been HUGE steps, too huge in my mind.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Galadrin View Post
    Oh crud, you're right, and he's even right there on the cover art of the 4e box set (probably one of the most iconic images of all of 4e). And to make it worse, I even own that dude in shrink! I think I just never realized it was Eltharion... I need to read the special characters section in the army book again more closely...
    If I am not mistaken, the 4th edition boxed set also came with cardboard stand-up of an elf riding a griffon that might resemble a bit Eltharion...
    Who is Griefbringer? Read his poem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenyu
    Since World of Warcraft players manage to get themselves killed due to exhaustion, why should Griefbringer not manage to get himself killed with a regiment of table top miniatures. YouŽd be a pioneer.

Fricken' historicals players, making everything about their playstyle.
    The irony here is that I don't care for historical miniatures. I prefer the open-ended nature of fantasy and sci-fi because of the modeling conversions one can do.

I do a lot of historical boardgames, though.

Yeah, one of the cool things that GW did in 6th was encouraging War of the Beard, including showing the differences between how the armies looked then vs. now, including black powder not existing yet. They didn't hit the reset button to get us there, just gave us the option to play it. Warhammer in general was good about that. Most of the special characters that were given rules on the website weren't current, per se, and you were playing them after their demise. I liked the fact that they had that in-built while at the same time establishing things like the Captain of the Black Guard dying in battle with Tyrion in a story in the High Elf book, and if I took the time to look, I'm pretty sure I'd find other examples in the other army books.

I don't mind advancing the story in places, but it should be a slow burn. Everything they've done to advance the storyline in AOS and 40K recently has been HUGE steps, too huge in my mind.
    They didn't advance the storyline - they brought about the Apocalypse!

Yes, they had historical lists which I think was the way to go for those who bought into the setting. The well-known weaknesses - codex creep, special rules spam and poor balance combined with frequent revisions - are what makes it hard to settle on a definitive edition.

I think if you were to look at the cleanest rules set (at least that I played), Ravening Hordes 6th takes the trophy.

No supplements, minimal rules, crisp game play that emphasizes tactics over gotcha lists and heroes. The armies have plenty of flavor, but don't wander off into the weeds of special rules.

I recall that as each supplement and army book rolled out, even back in the day people claimed RH was the way to play. I've got a soft spot for 5th, but I think RH was the best version they had.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9