Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fighting Fantasy Books

Defender of teh Wastes DarthSte's Avatar

Fighting Fantasy Books

Inspired by this new area of the site I have dug out a stack of my old game books, as I youngling I read/played a number of these books, and don't think I ever beat any of them.
    My all time favourite was The Citadel of Chaos, which had a great grittiness to it. I went on to play my first pen and paper role playing game with a group based in this game universe using books such as Out of the Pit and Titan as source material. (The GM killed me off really early, because as irl I'm a vegetarian, I refused my character to eat a giant owl... I think I was only about 10 at the time).
    So, the books that I've just come across in a big old box are:
    - 2 - The Citadel of Chaos
    - 3 - The Forest of Doom
    - 4 - Starship Traveller
    - 6 - Deathtrap Dungeon
    - 8 - Scorpion Swamp
    - 11 - Talisman of Death
    - 13 - Freeway Fighter
    - 14 - Temple of Terror
    - 32 - Slaves of the Abyss
    I have decided to read/play Freeway Fighter first, it has a big red car with machine gun turret on the cover with a couple of glam looking road warriors. The blurb describes a post Apocalyptic world with violent bandits and small fortified towns, and a mission to travel with vital supplies to the town of New Hope...
    Putting on my best fingerless gloves and backcombing my mullet, I roll for skill, stamina, luck and my Dodge Interceptors Firepower and Armour... and turn to 1...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

Re: Fighting Fantasy Books

Okay... so running out of fuel has got to be the most mundane way to lose in a game book...

Commander

Hah I loved those books ( still have most of them somewhere) the rpg you played was it using the dungeoneer rules? I loved them at the time ( perhaps I still would , I'll have to root them out )
    citadel of chaos is the hardest one of your collection iirc , never did complete that one

con incidentally they are redoing freeway fighter , search it up on facebook , at least that's were I saw it

Deathtrap Dungeon my favorite on your list.

Love the Dungeoneer rules....still make for a great game.
    Founding father of J.A.D.E.D. Jerks Against Directors Extraordinary Decisions.
    My Project Log "This week I have mostly been painting ...."
    My other log of Vintage stuff: "A Blast from the Past"
    You might also like: "'Ere be Giants"

Ah cool, I'll look out for that on FB thanks.

I'm not sure which ruleset was used... could well have been Dungeoneer...

Or there was Steve Jacksons Fighting Fantasy that canme before Dungeoneer .... ...also work very nicely.
    Founding father of J.A.D.E.D. Jerks Against Directors Extraordinary Decisions.
    My Project Log "This week I have mostly been painting ...."
    My other log of Vintage stuff: "A Blast from the Past"
    You might also like: "'Ere be Giants"

The Fighting Fantasy books were brilliant!

I remember reading a Mario choose your own adventure book oddly. Most of the endings involved you dying really gruesomely. As a kid it really threw me, given it was Mario themed.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

I vaguely remember one of those Mario books. Pipe Dreams I think it was called. Quite difficult and weird.

I lived and breathed Fighting Fantasy when I was a kid. I love dead of night and legend of the shadow warriors.
    Currently Focusing on: Armageddon Steel Legion
    If you have IG/AM tanks for Sale let me know!

They were fun back in the day, but I ended up cheating my way through because I would always die too easily.

My favourite was either Firetop mountain or Return to Firetop mountain. I cannot remember which title is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by StygianBeach View Post
    They were fun back in the day, but I ended up cheating my way through because I would always die too easily.

My favourite was either Firetop mountain or Return to Firetop mountain. I cannot remember which title is correct.
    I ended up cheating too!

There was iirc the warlock of firetop mountain and then return to firetop mountain

Both great books. I died lots but made a map that I still have
    Originally posted by Lord Damocles
    New Girl is the best girl.

Commander

So the other day i rooted out a few of these books and let my kids choose one (they are 7 and 4) they chose Demons of the Deep , bit of a tricky one if memory serves me right but not too bad . Anyway read it too them and let them make the choices and roll the dice , it was excellent! We had a great time even though we died at the end , but it was funny how scared they were they might make the wrong choice all the time

Going to root out some more i think , trying to think of the "easier" ones mechanically ,so no armys of death , even though it was my fav and no Citadel of Chaos because no has ever finished it ever
    Island of the Lizard king and Forest of Doom spring to mind as "easier" books ...at least i remember them being , maybe i was just lucky any other suggestions? I still have almost all of them somewhere .
    Last edited by dalezzz; 21-02-2017 at 09:29.

Yeah forest of doom was one of the easier ones.

Have you played the Shamutanti Hills? Can highly recommend that series.

Commander

yeah got them too , not sure the kids are quite ready for that epic just yet though actually didnt those books get made into a game on steam? (and presumably other places) anyone try it?

Quote Originally Posted by dalezzz View Post
    yeah got them too , not sure the kids are quite ready for that epic just yet though actually didnt those books get made into a game on steam? (and presumably other places) anyone try it?
    I had it on android and it was good but the books better.

Marine

after several years scouring Ebay and used bookshops just a couple of months ago I finally finished my collection of all 59 Puffin-era books. My inner child is happy now, my wife puzzled and my bank account lighter.

Great series and even factoring in nostalgia they were a great read, ranging from corny to unnaturally difficult (There are several I could never finish... House of Hell anyone?).

Incidentally the idea of reading them to my girls is brilliant! will have to try that out.

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by askaval30 View Post
    after several years scouring Ebay and used bookshops just a couple of months ago I finally finished my collection of all 59 Puffin-era books. My inner child is happy now, my wife puzzled and my bank account lighter.

Great series and even factoring in nostalgia they were a great read, ranging from corny to unnaturally difficult (There are several I could never finish... House of Hell anyone?).

Incidentally the idea of reading them to my girls is brilliant! will have to try that out.

Thats some good work getting all the books , there was a few I never got back in the day . Don't think I ever finished house of hell either .... in fact the more I think about it the fewer of the books I actually did manage to finish!

I was recently reading out loud the Shamutanti Hills to my friend whilst he underwent chemotherapy to take his mind away from it. He finished successfully on the first play through!

Scorpion swamp is good, you need to map it though. Keep of the lich lord is great too since the baddie appears in different locations depending on how you get there. Not too hard.

It's interesting that fighting fantasy are generally quite low magic compared to current trends in fantasy.
    Currently Focusing on: Armageddon Steel Legion
    If you have IG/AM tanks for Sale let me know!

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSte View Post
    Hah! Ive just seen this and came here to post the link as well wont be going though sadly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast