Thread: Negative Keywords

Negative Keywords

After a very lengthy hiatus I'm back and I'm sorry if I will ask a homework question Feel free to move this thread if I'm not in the right place. I'm studying about PPC (pay per click) campaigns and I have encountered "negative keywords". To those who work in the digital marketing or to those who can relate, aside from ensuring that your ad doesn't show for a particular word search, what are the benefits of effectively using negative keywords?

Re: Negative Keywords

Not being associated with a certain subject or area can be desirable in some cases. There can be many examples where you plan your SEO key words to drive traffic to your site, but if a web site does not want traffic that results in unwanted queries, bad leads, etc., they could place negative key words. However, the trend in most circles is all traffic is good traffic and will place paths to their site through any relatable search, even wildcard searches. I am sure you have seen unrelatable websites come up with the exact term you typed into the search box, e.g. We have XXXX available for XXXX - click here! - all tricks of the trade.

In regards to PPC campaigns it is a totally different animal. An advertiser does not want to pay for a click to their site for a bad lead. If I have an embroidery business and I place the word 'patch - patches' in my meta-tag key word list, I may place 'concrete' as a negative key word. I do not want to pay for a click for someone looking for 'concrete patch'.
    Three Roads Dreamt - My novella collection is now available! Action Suspense, Fantasy and Sci-Fi

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by MDSW View Post
    Not being associated with a certain subject or area can be desirable in some cases.
    I work as an attorney and my firm has a client that recently acquired an online advertising agency. As part of our due diligence review, I am reading hundreds of contracts, mostly purchase orders. One common provision in these contracts is something that says (more or less) that the agency will not put a media supplier's content on any website that publishes, hosts, contains or in any way supports piracy, hate speech, or obscene, provocative, abusive, illegal etc. language or content. They all look different, in some cases very different. By way of illustration, this particular agency has provided services for an adult magazine as well as a conservative religious college. These two are going to find their target audiences in very different places, and an adult magazine might not mind being affiliated with "obscene" content, as long as it isn't violent, hateful, or illegal.

I've seen CPC a few times, CPL (cost per unique lead) and CPM (cost per thousand views) are much more common.

I must admit I'm no expert in this field, but am sure there are more effective ways than negative keywords for agencies like this to make sure their clients' ads don't get affiliated with the wrong crowd. For example, running analytics on a publisher before placing a bid for ad space, or only bidding for space on websites you know a little about.

That said, negative keywords do seem like they would be useful as a second line of defense.

You are very right, @scaryscarymushroom. The most important aspect of negative key words in the PPC universe is not paying for bad leads when you pay for every click of your ad. So, if you can avoid the wrong people seeing your link, then that is the goal.
    Three Roads Dreamt - My novella collection is now available! Action Suspense, Fantasy and Sci-Fi

Do you know if a company providing digital marketing services would be able to help me with negative keywords? A friend recommended this company but I'd like to know first if they'd be able to help me. Also, I'm planning to send them an email regarding this later.

You might need a marketing person to help you with a negative keyword list, or with careful thought you can probably come up with the list if you know your product well enough. As far as help adding the NKW to your SEO plan, implementing on your website, etc. there are a large number of places that will help you accomplish this. Although I cannot recommend any particular place, here are some smart things to consider when selecting a company.

1. Do they have some sort of guarantee?
    2. Do not accept an open project/billing model. Ask for the exact charges to do specific tasks. Some places will wrap you into a monitoring/maintenance contract, which might be pointless in your case.
    3. What is exactly on the list of what their services include? Does it agree with what you need? Anything missing?

Good luck!!