Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Necromunda coming to PC

  1. #1
    Admin blackcherry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    WarSeer
    Posts
    3,375

    Necromunda coming to PC

    In an interesting development, this was posted on the WarSeer facebook page yesterday.

    It's from the same team who did the development of the Mordheim game, so it will probably stick close to that formula (and will affect if you enjoy the game or not).

    Thoughts? I'm just happy to have some love heading the games way.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

    Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

  2. #2
    Chapter Master Malagor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the dark woods
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    Mordheim is a good game so I'm hoping that they will continue the success here as well.
    Armies of Malagor:
    Warhammer Fantasy/9th Age: Beastmen, Bretonnia, Vampire Counts, Lizardmen, Ogre Kingdoms, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarfs, Legion of Chaos, Undead Legion.
    Warhammer 40k: Chaos Space Marines, Ad-mech, Sisters of Battle
    Warmahordes: Skorne, Trollbloods, Khador, Circle Orboros

  3. #3
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On campaign in Maryland
    Posts
    9,988

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    In an interesting development, this was posted on the WarSeer facebook page yesterday.

    It's from the same team who did the development of the Mordheim game, so it will probably stick close to that formula (and will affect if you enjoy the game or not).
    Unfortunately. I was thrilled when I saw the link on the community site... And my enthusiasm immediately guttered when I saw it is being made by the Mordheim team. Which I regard as a clunky uninspired mess of a poorly functional mechanical system (one that's inexplicably worse than the GW math that it replaces, and for no apparent benefit)*, a clunky UI and uninspired graphics and grotesquely poor animations and optimization/ loading times that started out as absolutely horrid and slowly improved to only somewhat bad.


    *seriously, I have no idea why I'm supposed to notice or care about an increase to one out of a dozen stats that have caps that inexplicably range from 9 to 17, and only result in a 2 to 3 percentage point increases to up to half a dozen derived stats. Its an amazing mess of game design that gives the player absolutely no reason to care.
    Last edited by Voss; 20-01-2017 at 02:53.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

  4. #4
    Commander Horace35's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    659

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post

    Thoughts? I'm just happy to have some love heading the games way.
    Same. I love Necromunda hopefully they can produce something decent

  5. #5
    Defender of teh Wastes DarthSte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,587

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    Was Mordheim quite good then? A reasonable copy of the game? I had feared that this Necromunda game may just be yet another generic FSP with a Games Workshop skin. Is it likely to be something better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

  6. #6
    Admin blackcherry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    WarSeer
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthSte View Post
    Was Mordheim quite good then? A reasonable copy of the game? I had feared that this Necromunda game may just be yet another generic FSP with a Games Workshop skin. Is it likely to be something better?
    From what small snippets of the the two games I played (as the last two years have had two Mordheim games come out as betas before a proper release) were quite different. One was a turn based game, which other posters in the thread have had mixed opinions on.

    The other was a first person action game with a multiplayer component that played like a tweaked LFD. I quite enjoyed it.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

    Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

  7. #7
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On campaign in Maryland
    Posts
    9,988

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    Are you talking about Vermintide (the Left for Dead clone)? Because that doesn't have anything at all to do with Mordheim. It's set in a random town called Ubersreik as part of the End Times. And is more an elf, a dwarf, a wizard and human champion or witch hunter slaughter skaven. In terms of the playable characters, it's warhammer quest the first person shooter.



    Darthste- I would say a definite no on both the first questions. As a computer game, it's pretty lacking in any area you care to name: graphics, music, sound, and really terrible in terms of animations, optimization (though this did improve over time from terrible to poor) and mechanics. It does have campaign progression like the tabletop game, but the system is so radically different, the feel is entirely off.

    Weapon skill, for example, starts around 5 to 8 for most characters and can rise to a cap in the teens, but a single 'advance' in weapon skill after a mission only gives a few (2 or 3) percentage points in your chance to hit and parry and maybe a couple other derived stats. I'm sure there was some form of reasoning behind the decision, but it makes advancement feel pretty meaningless. Characters regardless go down in 3 or 4 hits, and the act of hitting is often a slightly biased coin flip (55% or so, plus parry or dodge rolls).

    As to whether a necromunda game could be better.... Well. Possibly. But I doubt it. Also expect only a few starter gangs, and the rest as dlc packs, some after a very long time.

    On the upside, Mordheim is still actively supported quite a while after release (but on the downside, it really needed it. Despite a significant early access period, official launch version was shoddy)
    Last edited by Voss; 20-01-2017 at 15:22.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

  8. #8
    Chapter Master Bloodknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    11,768

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    I liked Mortheim a lot, but the in-game map was crap, IMO. I found it hard to judge how far a unit had to walk to get to a place or how far the enemies were away. Also the mission design left a bit to be desired, usually the fight starts after two or three turns and then you need every guy to win, so some of the secondary objectives are very hard to do (the "collect icons" thingy is also difficult because more often than not the enemy squad fails its bottle test when you knock over the guy with the last icon and the game doesn't give you the full turn (to collect the icon), but ends the battle instantly, so the quest fails.

    That said, I don't put much emphasis on "graphics, music, sound, and really terrible in terms of animations,", so YMMV.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

  9. #9
    Chapter Master Urgat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    19,261

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    Mordheim is a rather good game, I just wish they did a "campaign" map with actual opponent bands, and not the pool of missions thrown randomly at you (especially since there's a really low number of different missions).

  10. #10
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On campaign in Maryland
    Posts
    9,988

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodknight View Post
    I liked Mortheim a lot, but the in-game map was crap, IMO. I found it hard to judge how far a unit had to walk to get to a place or how far the enemies were away. Also the mission design left a bit to be desired, usually the fight starts after two or three turns and then you need every guy to win, so some of the secondary objectives are very hard to do (the "collect icons" thingy is also difficult because more often than not the enemy squad fails its bottle test when you knock over the guy with the last icon and the game doesn't give you the full turn (to collect the icon), but ends the battle instantly, so the quest fails.

    That said, I don't put much emphasis on "graphics, music, sound, and really terrible in terms of animations,", so YMMV.
    I knew I forgot something. Mission design is both limited and bad. Theoretically the point of most missions is to gather warp stone, but due to both limited carrying capacity and the way the limited AI works (largely charge and mob up once enemies are spotted) I never won (or lost) any mission except by one side taking enough casualties to break. Any warp stone picked up in the first round or two is a minor bonus, but the focus is on putting enemies down, usually by double or triple teaming them.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

  11. #11
    Admin blackcherry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    WarSeer
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    I knew I forgot something. Mission design is both limited and bad. Theoretically the point of most missions is to gather warp stone, but due to both limited carrying capacity and the way the limited AI works (largely charge and mob up once enemies are spotted) I never won (or lost) any mission except by one side taking enough casualties to break. Any warp stone picked up in the first round or two is a minor bonus, but the focus is on putting enemies down, usually by double or triple teaming them.
    So in short, it's all bad IYO?
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

    Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

  12. #12
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On campaign in Maryland
    Posts
    9,988

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    So in short, it's all bad IYO?
    The buildings are pretty nice. The setup definitely looks like a Mordheim skirmish could happen there, but it feels like there is something of a bait and switch, and something altogether lacking happens instead. Probably why it irks me so much. It got really close to its goal, then wandered off in an unexpected direction and it feels like gameplay-wise, an actual effort was made to make it terrible instead.

    Though in terms of UI and animations it was clearly more a matter of missing the skill to polish them off.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

  13. #13
    Commander
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Glossop
    Posts
    762

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    Yeah mordheim is good ... but sort of not , pretty much having to follow the same formula Every ... Single ...Game gets old quick , coupled with EVERY (except the 4? special missions) warband mirroring your own , Voss has got it pretty much right actually . Anyway still keen for necro

  14. #14
    Commander Evil Hypnotist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lowestoft, Suffolk. UK
    Posts
    852

    Re: Necromunda coming to PC

    I enjoyed Mordheim for the most part. Voss is right, the level of detail they have gone to in order to make the game world look right is great and is the one big positive. Although I enjoy playing it, I can understand the gripes people have with it, almost all of which are justified. The game is in a much better place now than it was though, I have been supporting them since early access through to purchasing all the dlc, etc. with the express purpose of hoping it will allow them to do Necromunda. Now they have announced it I am overjoyed. Yes, they need to learn from Mordheim, but also Necromunda will benefit being a turn-based shooter rather than an FPS.

    Mordheim has set the foundations for Necromunda, now Rogue Factor will have to deliver. Ultimately though, they are the only ones who have shown any interest to.
    "In a game based on the roll of a dice, sometimes the dice don't play the game"


    My Warriors of Chaos Gallery

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •