Thread: What If?

What If Marvel Studios Gets the X-Men Back?

I want to revive an activity we used to do a lot when I was in high school and college. Let's say Marvel Studios were to get the X-Men movie rights back today, who would you have on the team and who would you cast in the first Marvel Studios X-Men movie?
    Last edited by The Black Shield; 01-02-2017 at 21:40.

Re: What If?

Since I'm really out of the loop on current actors any suggestions? the only one I know I could want has already played prof. X so I'm at at a loss for anyone else.

Honestly, I would give the franchise to Matthew Vaughan. The guy is currently making the most entertaining action films out there and he arguably made one of the only good ensemble X-Men films in a long time even if it was on an ultra tight budget for this sort of thing (First Class - which he has to self finance as Fox were happy to let the franchise die because they didn't know what to do with it).

Keep McAvoy and Fassbender. The two are incapable of giving bad performances and they really excel as Professor X and Magneto. Other than that? Cast a bunch of unknowns with acting chops gained from being in indie films and have some mutants we haven't seen much of before. With Singer in charge we've mostly stuck to the same core group. Would be cool to see some different mutants in there for once alongside more mainstays like Cyclops, Jean Grey and Beast.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Chapter Master

I'd kill it out of shame. Launch New Mutants or Excalibur instead (though the latter requires a lot of groundwork, probably too much)

With NM they could have a couple fun coming of age/ coming into responsibility stories, cap it with Doug getting his brains blown out in movie 3, then wham, Cable and going all X-force on the franchise.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Commander

Personally I've always thought Summer Glau would be perfect for X-23. Not only is she great at athletic fighting she also had plenty of experience playing not quite normal characters which would be great for X-23.

I'd like to see the hardon they have for wolverine die. The Summers family tree is a central plot to the entire X-men, but because they put the focus on wolverine, they crapped all over it.

In reality I think most ensemble comic stories should be told on tv in an anthology style. That way you don't have to compromise any one character's stories to make them fit a single film format.

These days the divide between tv and cinema is shrinking any way.
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Don't forget that they put Scott's "younger" brother on the X-men team from the sixties.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
    Personally I've always thought Summer Glau would be perfect for X-23. Not only is she great at athletic fighting she also had plenty of experience playing not quite normal characters which would be great for X-23.
    Speaking of which.... the Logan trailers creeped me out, and not in a good way.

Not only did they pull, 'Hey, remember how we fixed the timeline? Well, everybody is dead again!' but coupling that with a ten(?) year old kicking off as an established brutal murderer is a bit much.
    It seems excessive even for a film industry that luxuriates in sensationalizing violence.
    And lo, the Return!

If you think the violence is bad you should read Old Man Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Speaking of which.... the Logan trailers creeped me out, and not in a good way.

Not only did they pull, 'Hey, remember how we fixed the timeline? Well, everybody is dead again!' but coupling that with a ten(?) year old kicking off as an established brutal murderer is a bit much.
    It seems excessive even for a film industry that luxuriates in sensationalizing violence.
    It's a direct result of Deadpool doing so well. If Logan does well, expect more to follow, with the DCU finally just cutting all pretense and having the current version of Batman murder people in graphic detail.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

How about dumping Xmen and doing EXcalibur instead.... same..m but different.... Shadowcat etc
    Originally posted by Lord Damocles
    New Girl is the best girl.

I do remember saying if Marvel Studios got the rights for the X-Men back not Fox making another one. Fox has botched the X-Men movies too many times now.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Shield View Post
    I do remember saying if Marvel Studios got the rights for the X-Men back not Fox making another one. Fox has botched the X-Men movies too many times now.
    I honestly don't think it matters. The general viewing audience would still associate them, and the MCU has effectively replaced them, even if they don't end up using the Inhumans more broadly outside of Agents of Shield (which... I kinda think they shouldn't at this point). One of the big problems Marvel (and DC) comics had was a kitchen sink effect, which led directly to House of M and all sorts of other nonsense to cut down on both characters and active titles.

The midichlorian nature of the X-gene and the frankly asinine theories about evolution that are attached to X-mutants aren't baggage they need to lug around. They have decades of material to work without the standard pack of really transparent allegories with so many moral anvils and emotional problems attached.
    And lo, the Return!

That still has nothing to do with my original question.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Shield View Post
    That still has nothing to do with my original question.
    I'd still kill it, personally.
    As for actors, no idea. Most of the time I can't tell the difference, and as long as the body type and hair color is correct, I don't much care. As a matter of preference, people that aren't famous for other roles.

As for characters, the team that never really got a chance: Storm, Rogue, Shadowcat, Colossus, Nightcrawler and (I guess) Wolvie. Too many guest spots from old X-men, the it got overrun both by Days of Future Past, the Cyclops coming back. Did have the Brood storyline though.
    And lo, the Return!

I would like to see a reboot where we follow Jean Grey in a stylised drama something along the lines of Good Girls Revolt.

Where it is mostly about her struggling to be the perfect good girl and balancing with her being a mutant and belonging to a vigilante team of mutants.
    Most of the combat can happen off screen, and the Magneto, Professor-X conflict can be made out to be a bigger than life conflict because it would be from Jeans point of view.

I want less fighting and more Drama from X-Men. Or Matthew Vaughan giving it another shot would be great.