Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 1: January and Feb WIP

Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 1: January and Feb WIP

This is where you can post your finished painted stuff for the month of January as well as WIP for Feb - I hope those brushes have been busy...

Re: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 1: January and Feb WIP

This month I've painted the Orcs and the Goblins from HeroQuest: Kellar's Keep:

Since I'd already painted 8 Orcs and 6 Goblins from the HeroQuest base game I wanted to try out different colour schemes for these. Last time I painted the Orcs with lighter skin and red clothes and the Goblins had yellowish clothes. I decided to paint the Orcs as a band of sombre Black Orcs and the Goblins as Night Goblins (including old school red shoes!).

I only have the 3 Fimir left now!

That's a cracking start to the Tale, Covering Fire, I'm definitely getting a Nostalgia vibe from the Goblins. Well done.

I suppose being that I started this tale I had better post something fairly early.

Here's my effort for the month,

12 Fire Beetles

12 Giant Centipedes;

and an Assassin / Ninja Adventurer;

Love the centipedes man!

The old school feel on the Orcs and Goblins is brilliant Covering Fire. Looking forward to seeing more!
    Last edited by Zarika; 04-02-2017 at 05:49.
    Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.

Chapter Master

Man, painting water isn't easy.

I've been spending the afternoon slowly building up the water but... Well... It's not bad as such, it's just not exactly what I was aiming for.

For all the mixing, drybrushing, and washing, I feel like I have surprisingly little to show for it. Oh well, it might look better tomorrow when the wash is completely dry.

The recipe goes something like this:

The water was painted with a mix of 2 parts Sea Blue and 1 part Flat Blue. The mix was then reversed (2 parts Flat Blue and 1 part Dark Sea Blue) for a heavy drybrush. This was followed by a medium drybrush with pure Flat Blue and finally a light drybrush with a mix of 1 part Flat Blue and 1 part Deep Sky Blue.

Finally, I applied a wash made out of 3 parts Nuln oil, 3 parts Biel-Tan Green, and 2 parts Matt Varnish. I wanted to darken the sea a bit and give it a greenish tint, but it looks like the Nuln Oil overpowered the Biel-Tan Green, leaving a ever so slightly greenish black colour in the recesses.

Chapter Master

@Covering Fire: Man, those models are ugly, but they do bring back fond memories of a time long gone. Back then we made do with badly cast mono-pose model, walked uphill to school (both ways) in a howling snowstorm (even in summer) and were happy with our lot! Good job on bringing such an old classic to life - makes me tearful with pure nostalgia.

Wonder why Games Workshop never tried to cash in on that nostalgia by reissuing old games like Hero Quest and Space Crusade?

@Daemonslave: Those critters look suitably icky. Not entirely sold on those blue mandibles, but that's a minor issue.

OK, here are my first batch of Silver Tower miniatures:

I tackled the Brimstone Horrors and the first set of Familiars. So right off the bat I'll address the elephant in the room, these miniatures are indeed on square bases. This is because they will also find a home in my Warhammer armies, and I am not an AoS adopter.

Regarding the miniatures themselves, I enjoyed painting the Brimstone Horrors lovely little miniatures and quite easy to paint, though their bottom teeth are a bit large and hard to photograph properly.

The Familiars are some of my favorite miniatures in the whole box and the little Lord of Change is my absolute favorite. I stuck mostly to classic Tzeentch colors of blue and yellow with some additions. The green is a color I use as a spot color on my Tzeentch daemons, the pink for the legs on the book is to tie in with Pink Horrors and the purple I just felt like using.

Anyways, this was an enjoyable set, next month will be four of the Kairic Acolytes (I've already made a lot of prices progress on these, they're close to finished). And I'll likely also do at least some of the Horrors as they're already primed up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Miniatures Painted in 2016 -- 222
    Miniatures Painted in 2017 -- 38
    I do commissions - Send me a PM

Chapter Master

They do look quite nice. I would say "cute", but not sure that's the right word for such creatures...

I've been looking at it for a while, but just can't convince myself to buy it. How does it play compared to the old Warhammer Quest?

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    They do look quite nice. I would say "cute", but not sure that's the right word for such creatures...

I've been looking at it for a while, but just can't convince myself to buy it. How does it play compared to the old Warhammer Quest?
    You know, I've never actually played either game.... so I can't tell you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Miniatures Painted in 2016 -- 222
    Miniatures Painted in 2017 -- 38
    I do commissions - Send me a PM

I don't anything finished from January, that month was devoted to assembling and undercoating everything. Here are the first four marines, my Febraury wip:

Next stages are to brighten the red, wash it back, brighten it again, brighten it again, highlight it, and then finally paint the non-red bits!
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

And here's my first entry finished. I'm not going to lie, I'm glad to call this model done. I guess Stormcast aren't really my thing. Though it started off poorly, I like how the colour scheme turned out in the end.

I don't know yet how I'll do the bases. Before this challenge started, I'd already finished 4 other heroes for the Silver Tower. All of them are on plain, blue bases like this model. Maybe I should get a set of Shattered Dominion bases and use that? For now the plain blue will do.

@Covering Fire: Lovely models, bring back great memories. Love the red shoes

@Daemonslave: Good job on the critters. My favourite are the Fire Beetles. For some reason giant beetles scare me more than giant centipedes... Though come to think of it, giant centipedes sounds like something I'd try to avoid as well.

@F2K: I like the colours of the water. Maybe it would help to add a little gloss or even water effect over the top to make it more water-y? And if you want there to be more green, you could always add a layer or two of Waywatcher green glaze on certain parts.

@Kaltheras: Great start with the little guys. The tiny Lord of Change is my favourite familiar too. I'm working on a Disciples of Tzeentch army at the moment, so I might come back and steal your Brimstone recipe. Also, square bases! Instant nostalgia.

@Lorelorn: Great start, can't wait to see how the red'll turn out!

January complete: The Dragon Tyrant.

I was in a rush to finish him before our first fight against him so I ended up rushing the eyes/head tattoos so I'm not happy with them. Need to go back and touch them up.

@ Covering Fire: Nice work. For the benefit of someone like me who wasn't around for the old Hero Quest games, how do they scale compare to more recent models?

@ Daemonslave: How did you do the main exoskeleton colour on the centipedes? I've got a project in mind that that colour scheme is perfect for. Great work.

@ f2k: Great work. Back when I painted up my copy of Dreadfleet I found that a mix of blue/green washes (or the new Coelia Greenshade would do the job) worked really well for the water (I mainly stuck to the guides in the White Dwarf). I found that applying it (sparingly) to the lower elevations of the islands and a bit further up in the crevices did wonders to help them blend in to the water. Once all of the other details are finished up the islands really do come to life.

@ Kaltheras: Excellent work. I agree the familiars really are the best things is the box (although the moon-face one is my favourite). My box still remains on the sprue though...

@ lorelorn: I'm very keen to see how you progress with that red colour. Unless you're going to cover that basecoat entirely in a brighter red I'm interested in seeing how ti holds up to further shading.

@ Thalencar: Nice work. I'm planning on getting Shattered Dominion bases for my set as well, I think they really suit.

For Feb I plan on finishing the Screaming Antelope (and hopefully keep a touch ahead with some work on March, but the next few weeks are looking tough...).

Doi

@Covering Fire:
    Wonder why Games Workshop never tried to cash in on that nostalgia by reissuing old games like Hero Quest and Space Crusade

Wasn't Space Crusade a joint project with MB games? Might not had the rights. Not sure on Hero Quest

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thalenchar View Post
    @F2K: I like the colours of the water. Maybe it would help to add a little gloss or even water effect over the top to make it more water-y? And if you want there to be more green, you could always add a layer or two of Waywatcher green glaze on certain parts.
    Have you considered adding a bit more contrast? He looks almost as though he'd belong in a black and white movie. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, of course, but the sculpt is so bland to begin with that I really feel it requires a bright and bold paintjob to stop me from falling asleep, just looking at it.

As for the water, I have considered doing a gloss varnish once I have everything done and sealled with matt varnish. But I'm not entirely convinced yet. I fear it might end up looking odd on the matt surface of the cloth that came with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    @ f2k: Great work. Back when I painted up my copy of Dreadfleet I found that a mix of blue/green washes (or the new Coelia Greenshade would do the job) worked really well for the water (I mainly stuck to the guides in the White Dwarf). I found that applying it (sparingly) to the lower elevations of the islands and a bit further up in the crevices did wonders to help them blend in to the water. Once all of the other details are finished up the islands really do come to life.
    That Tyrant looks sweet. In a I-want-to-devour-your-soul kinda way.

I ended up putting a pledge in for the core game and the chest at the last Kickstarter, so now I'm just waiting for the loot to arrive.

Game better be good at that pricetag, I tell you...

I'm afraid the water is so dark now that a green glaze probably wouldn't do much. Might tint the very top of the waves, that's it.

I've been thinking of getting a bit of that white-foam stuff that some modelers use when doing water and apply a tiny bit of it around the islands to show the waves breaking and making the transition between water and land less stark. Don't know... Might work... Although I don't know if there's a minimum amount you need to use to get it to foam correctly? I'll have to look into that a bit more before comiting to it.

@Doi. Really nice paint job there man. Really like the gold on him!

@ Thalenchar. Have to say when you first started with the colour scheme I wasn't sure, but I really like to cool look that it has, better than the shinny gold GW have gone for.

@lorelorn. Looks like your on the right path man, are you going for a darker look like Flesh Tearers?

@ Kaltheras. Some really good work there, especially the detail on the book, looks like words! Something I always struggle with. I love the moon head model with the tin opener ��

@f2k. Got to say I admire the effort your putting into the islands and how they are coming one. Looking forward to seeing the ships, they will be awesome if the islands are anything to go by!

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zarika View Post
    @f2k. Got to say I admire the effort your putting into the islands and how they are coming one. Looking forward to seeing the ships, they will be awesome if the islands are anything to go by!
    Thanks. I appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to the ships myself. Decided to get the tedious work out of the way first and keep the ships as a reward for when I'm done with the terrain.

Ok, so not BAC but had him kicking around and fancied a change.

A few comments on the comments.

@Daemonslave: Thanks, but I must admit that I'm not putting a whole lot of effort into these. Mostly quick washes and drybrushing!

@Zarika: Thanks! I've got 3 Fimir coming up as well!

@f2k: Naww, I wouldn't call them ugly...just different! But of course, they won't win any beauty contests for models! I agree on the snowstorms - it was totally like that back then!

@Thalenchar: Red shoes is a must for Night Goblins!

@Doi: I took a pic of one of the Orcs beside a Space Marine (40K 3rd edition) and a more modern Orc boy (WHFB 6th edition):

I'll add my comments on everyone's work soon.

Hey, that HeroQuest orc has a Warhammer Quest orc sword! I recognize it because I just spent a week painting a bunch of the WHQ dudes!
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast