Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 1: January and Feb WIP

Re: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 1: January and Feb WIP

Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    Hey, that HeroQuest orc has a Warhammer Quest orc sword! I recognize it because I just spent a week painting a bunch of the WHQ dudes!
    That's correct! One of the Orcs had lost his original sword, so I found an old plastic Orc sword in my bitz box that I glued on instead.

Time for some comments, I think, plus a list of how people are doing with their targets (I know its early but hey ho).

f2k: A lovely start on the Dreadfleet terrain. Like you suggested, I think a bit of lighter colour where the waves crash against the rocks would really enhance it further, as would some varnish or water effect. Nice stuff though, you're going to have an awesome set once complete.

Kaltheras: A nice start to your Silver Tower set, the familiars have oodles of character. I like your text done in the book, it looks really effective but yes, like others have said, the mini Lord of Change looks cracking.

Thalenchar: I know you are not 100% happy with your Stormcast model but I like it. The colours give the model far more character than the golden GW ones. His glowing eyes are a nice touch as well, and really suit him. Nice job

Doi: That is lovely. Skin tones are excellent and the red blending, which can be quite difficult, is very well executed. If this was a rush job then the rest of the models are going to be looking epic!

Zarika: A nice addition to the other marines you showed on the other thread. You wouldn't think the colours would go well together but they do. Look forward to seeing the rest of them as well as their opponents.

I know it's only the first month, but let's see how everyone is doing...

Name / Painted Months / Jokers

Daemonslave / 1 / 0
    DYoung / 0 / 1
    April / 0 / 1
    DarthSte / 0 / 1
    Lorelorn / 0 /1
    Skywave / 0 / 1
    f2k / 1 / 0
    Zarika / 1 / 0
    Benvoliothefirst / 1 / 0
    blackcherry / Teh Real New Girl / 0 / 1
    Covering Fire / 1 / 0
    Hammerhand / 0 / 1
    Thalenchar / 1 / 0
    Doi / 1 / 0
    Harry / 0 / 1
    Kaltheras / 1 / 0
    Itsacon / 0 / 1
    Solun Decius / 0 / 1
    Great horned owl / 0 / 1
    Rikk / 0 / 1

A lot of Jokers used in the first month - not good! Hopefully that is because, like lorelorn, you spent the time doing all the assembly, etc.
    Last edited by Daemonslave; 02-03-2017 at 17:12.

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    That Tyrant looks sweet. In a I-want-to-devour-your-soul kinda way.

I ended up putting a pledge in for the core game and the chest at the last Kickstarter, so now I'm just waiting for the loot to arrive.

Game better be good at that pricetag, I tell you...
    It is, hands down, the best game I own. I currently have the core game plus all expansions (I bought in with the first Kickstarter, and been buying their resin figures since virtually the beginning), and went all in on the most recent kickstarter. My unpainted Kingdom Death model tally (game and non-game figures) is in triple digits...

Quote Originally Posted by Zarika View Post
    @Doi. Really nice paint job there man. Really like the gold on him!
    Thanks! I was hoping to replicate the colours on my Gold Smoke Knight but shading/highlighting his, uh, headdress thing (?) was really tough, but in the end I think the lighter colour suits him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Covering Fire View Post
    @Doi: I took a pic of one of the Orcs beside a Space Marine (40K 3rd edition) and a more modern Orc boy (WHFB 6th edition):
    I honestly can't say if he is bigger or smaller than I expected. That's quite disconcerting...

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonslave View Post
    Doi: That is lovely. Skin tones are excellent and the red blending, which can be quite difficult, is very well executed. If this was a rush job then the rest of the models are going to be looking epic!
    Oh, this was most definitely not a rush job! Just the eyes/tattoos. I wish I could paint to this level of detail quickly! Thanks for the comments.

This guy has become the first boss fight that my group has beaten on our first attempt, so obviously I should focus my painting on the harder boss fights .

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

Hello old beans. Here is my contemptor dreadnought. Next on paint station will be tac squad or chaplain.

Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.

@Covering Fire: Excellent goblinoids. I love how you're just going full on dark green on orcs and grass green on goblins. That's the old style when goblin green was simply the color you put on goblins. Simple times, simple minis, good board games

@Daemonslave: Very nice critters, especially the effort put into the "faces" of the centipedes. The assassin is also excellent. All brownish, but well defined and subtly shaded. Well done!

@f2k: yeah, water can be tricky. Especially the subtlety of getting the stuff that's submerges to look wet, but not quite blue. Will you continue with the non-submerged stuff on those terrain pieces? They look a bit plain, but I wasn't sure if you were finished or just finished with the water. The water itself look good though. i think you got the green and dark through there for the most part.

@Kaltheras: Those daemons are sweet. Well shaded and detailed but still colorful and shiny. I especially love the details on the book familiar and the yellow on the moon faced one.

@lorelorn: Good start on those marines. Crazy amount of detail on those minis, so looking forward to seeing them ready next month.

@Thalenchar: I really like that mini. Simple, limited color scheme and nice clean look. I for one like to have simple bases like that on board game pieces. Just the flat color looks good to me, since it's sharply and cleanly painted.

@Doi: Wow, that is nice. Excellent colors and shading. There's a very serene feel to that model and it comes across nicely. Love how you have the lips just a hint of color, and the tattoos on the head look nice.

@Zarika: That's a nice looking marine. Crazy flashy colors, but mesh pretty nicely. The dread is nice clean paint job too. Would be very cool to see some detailing on the scroll thing on its chest too

So here's my WIP this month:

Fairly self-explanatory.

Since I've got my paints out I also started a project that my daughter and I were always going to do together, Zombicide: Black Plague. I have no idea how much or how fast we will paint, so it's not part of the tale, but it is miniature board games, so here's our first mini, zombie in blue dress:

I'll leave it to you to guess which is mine and which is hers but I think we both did pretty good work in the time spent.
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Chapter Master

@Solun Decius: Blood Rage looks nice indeed. I've recently bought it myself, just haven't gotten around to playing, let alone painting, it.

I'v begun working on the rest of the pieces, yes. I kept working on the water but... Well... At some point, I think, I just got to move on. Otherwise I'd end up spending the whole tail redoing the water again and again.

I experimented a bit with a final light drybrush followed by a green glaze to add some green hues to the water. It's a bit more greenish now, but...

Ahhh...

DAMNIT! Stop messing around with it, will you?!

My plan was to get the rest done, then return to the water to add the final touch where the water meets the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    @Doi: Wow, that is nice. Excellent colors and shading. There's a very serene feel to that model and it comes across nicely. Love how you have the lips just a hint of color, and the tattoos on the head look nice.
    Thanks! So far his campaign has been interesting to say the least. We've had his number so far (despite every other nemesis encounter generally tearing us a new one), but at the same time he is a moody bugger. We beat him, so he was impressed and rewarded us with cool gear, and then we triggered a story event where we weren't impressive enough so he killed all but one of us in a fit of rage and then gave us some special newborns as a replacement...

@ Zarika: Nice work. Are you going to add any script to the scrollwork? And what size cork board are you using for the base?

@ Solun Decius: The Blood Rage stuff is looking promising! I've always planned on painting Zombicide, but then I back each Kickstarter, bought extra models to play massive games, and then I decided I didn't want to paint literally hundreds of zombies...

@ f2k: I think everyone here has ended up in the "maybe try one more step" spiral before .

I've got the Screaming Antelope for month 2 finished up, so now I just need to decide on what to paint this month...

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

Veteran Sergeant Great horned owl's Avatar

I joined this Tale yesterday.
    I'm going to paint the new boardgame Lobotomy (Kickstarter version + expansion).
    Right now I'm painting like a maniac* to get at least one miniature ready in February.

* In case you don't know: the goal of the game is to escape from a mental aylum

Greetings,
    Owl
    Owl can spell his name ("Wol") and the word "Tuesday" (so that you know it isn't Wednesday). He can also read, although only if no-one is looking over his shoulder.
    (From The house at Pooh corner)

After playing the joker last month we've finished our two models Sister Mary and the doctor. Quite happy how they turned out though blackcherry has insisted on the challenge he learns to stop doing googly eyes so it doesn't look every character hes painted is a member of the muppets. TheRealNewGirl thinks its just because the doctor has been self medicating too much..... :/

What are peoples thoughts? C/C always appreciated and what do people think of our home made light box? More progress pics on our thread but hope you enjoy these for now.

And for the other images here is the link to our thread

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...e-of-quot-plog!
    Last edited by Teh Real New Girl; 28-02-2017 at 22:44.
    Originally posted by Lord Damocles
    New Girl is the best girl.

Here's my entry for Feb. As usual, bases will come later.

Preview for next month:
    Last edited by benvoliothefirst; 01-03-2017 at 01:40.
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Give me chance guys!

The new thread for Feb finished stuff and March WIP is up;

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...04#post7655204

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Real New Girl View Post
    After playing the joker last month we've finished our two models Sister Mary and the doctor. Quite happy how they turned out though blackcherry has insisted on the challenge he learns to stop doing googly eyes so it doesn't look every character hes painted is a member of the muppets. TheRealNewGirl thinks its just because the doctor has been self medicating too much..... :/

Haha,
    'What should we do doctor?'
    'More drugs!!!'

Eyes are difficult. Personally I use a wash to darken the recesses a lot and then only paint eyes very small. Big eyes really give the 'I've had too much morphine' look. I just do a small horizontal white line with the smallest brush I can find and then do a vertical black line down the middle (if you get any black on the cheekbones you can then touch that up fairly easily.

Alright, looks like I didn't get credit for these because I only posted half the figs, but they're "done" to my standards, and I posted 'em on my blog in January, can I have credit for the first month, Daemonslave?

My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    Alright, looks like I didn't get credit for these because I only posted half the figs, but they're "done" to my standards, and I posted 'em on my blog in January, can I have credit for the first month, Daemonslave?
    Yeah, sorry. I just went through the February completed stuff, I didn't check the January one.

Guys, if you do complete stuff and show it off during the WIP week, could you also put it in the completed month as well, it makes it a lot easier for me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2