Thread: Space Hulk

Space Hulk

I've owned a copy of Space Hulk for 3-4 years now. It was a, very generous, gift from my girlfriend. It was shortly before my birthday when GW announced it would be released on a limited edition basis, and I had decided that I was buying a copy one way or another. So my girlfriend offered to pay for it - and then she didn't have to worry about searching for something else!

We've played several games over the years, but I've never quite got around to painting up the models thanks to other projects (see my signature for other plogs).

That is until now...

A Genestealer bursting onto the scene seemed appropriate to open up a new plog

Unlike my other projects, I'm not attempting to do anything original with these models. I really like the classic Genestealer / Blood Angel paint schemes and I've studied the various GW (and independent) painting guides on how to achieve the look. Suffice to say that I'm following them - with very minor tweaks where I feel confident enough to stray from the path.

My plan is to start with 5-6 Genestealers before moving on to any of the Terminators. Although in reality, as it takes me about 20 mins to apply edge highlights on the blue carapace, I'll likely be painting each model individually rather than the usual batches of 5/10 models.

Hopefully this will be a relatively short project (6 years on my Skaven so far and still only 1/2 way!). So now I'm off to get back to painting up the next Genestealer....
    Tomb Kings [plog]
    Skaven [Gallery] [plog]
    Slaaneshi Chaos [Gallery : Warriors][Gallery : Daemons]
    Necromunda : Renegades of Graal [plog]
    Terrain [Gallery] [plog]
    Space Hulk [plog]
    [Misc plog] | [Battle Reports]

Re: Space Hulk

I figured that I had best document which paints I'm using at each step. In case anyone else wants to stick to the same style. But also, more importantly, so I will remember what I was doing in the event that I find myself dragged away from painting for any significant chunk of time - as has been known to happen on occasion!

The Carapace:

• Basecoat: Kantor Blue
    • Shade: Nuln Oil
    • Edge Highlight: Alaitoc Blue
    • Fine-Edge Highlight: Hoeth Blue

The Skin:

• Basecoat: Daemonete Hide
    • Shade: Druchii Violet
    • Layer highlight: Warpfiend Grey
    • Edge & layer highlight: Slaanesh Grey
    • Apply Dechala Lilac to any details (i.e. veins)

The Details:

• Eyes: Yriel Yellow
    • Teeth: Pallid Wych Flesh
    • Tongue: basecoat Mephiston Red, shade with Nuln Oil and edge highlight with Pink Horror
    • Claws (not started in the above pic): basecoat Abaddon Black, edge highlight with Skavenblight Dinge

This particular model also included a Terminator helmet, which was a handy opportunity to test out my skills at power armour - it's been 10+ years since I painted a Space Marine!
    • Basecoat: Mephiston Red
    • Recess shade: Agrax Earthshade
    • Edge highlight: Evil Sunz Scarlet

And then I also wanted to try out a technique for painting the lenses:

• Basecoat: Caliban Green
    • Paint a line along bottom with Warpstone Glow
    • Go over the same line with Yriel Yellow - but only on the end of the line nearest the nose
    • Apply spot of White Scar to corner opposite the Yriel Yellow
    • Cover with 'Ardcoat

So that's 2 down, 20 more to go! I've got 4 more on the go at various stages, so I'll keep plugging away at them - partly as I have no more Chaos Black spray, so I can't start anything else just yet
    Last edited by tarrym; 28-02-2017 at 20:24.
    Tomb Kings [plog]
    Skaven [Gallery] [plog]
    Terrain [Gallery] [plog]
    Space Hulk [plog]

Nice paint job and thanks for recipe/tutorial

Chaplain

Loving the finish on these. Have a set of these genestealer so kicking round in a box somewhere and now know how to achieve a very nice finish on them. Excellent reading!!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I was starting to wonder if anyone visited this area of the forums

I've almost finished another 4 Genestealers, making 6 in total. I'll post a couple of pics once I've had time to finish up the details/bases.
    Tomb Kings [plog]
    Skaven [Gallery] [plog]
    Terrain [Gallery] [plog]
    Space Hulk [plog]

It took a little longer than expected - I've returned to work this week, so my hobby time has taken a bit of a hit. But I've now got the first 6 Genestealers finished:

Really pleased with how these turned out. I'm looking forward to seeing all 20(ish) of them finished - although I might need a little break from edge-highlighting blue carapace!

The last couple of models in this batch had skulls on the base. In the past I drybrushed skulls and I was happy with the finish. But these skulls are so close to lots of other details that I didn't dare try the same technique. In the end I followed the Warhammer TV guide which was:

• Basecoat: Zandri Dust
    • Shade: Agrax Earthshade
    • Layer Highlight: Ushabti Bone
    • Edge Highlight: White Scar

To be honest I'm not 100% happy with the result. They look OK - but just OK! I'm going to leave these alone and move on though - the skulls are a very minor detail on the models.

Having said that, I'd gladly take on board any hints/tips people might have for painting skulls?
    Tomb Kings [plog]
    Skaven [Gallery] [plog]
    Terrain [Gallery] [plog]
    Space Hulk [plog]

As I mentioned in my last post, I was looking forward to a break from painting blue carapace. All that edge highlighting was pretty time consuming - as I'm certainly not the fastest of painters!

So I switched from edge highlighting in blue, to edge highlighting in red!

• Basecoat: Mephiston Red (3 thin coats)
    • Recess Shade: Agrax Earthshade
    • Edge Highlight: Evil Sunz Scarlet
    • Fine-Edge Highlight: Wild Rider Red

I'm not exaggerating - this took me ages! I'm so glad I never had to paint a full army of Space Marines.

Next it was time to add some details, so I applied the standard silver/gold trims:

• Basecoat: Balthasar Gold / Leadbelcher
    • Edge Highlight: Gehenna's Gold / Ironbreaker

I've been keen to try out the new gemstone technical paints from GW for a while, and this seemed as good a time as any. Although I'm not 100% sure I got it right:

The gems do look a lot shinier in person - the camera doesn't seem to do them justice.

Then it was time for an old favourite of mine - purity seals!

• Basecoat: Khorne Red / Rakarth Flesh
    • Layer: Rakarth Flesh (watered down)
    • Edge Highlight: Khorne Red / Screaming Skull

The writing was achieved by using the smallest brush available, with some heavily watered down Abaddon Black.

Next up were the ropes around the chestpiece. Although I'd normally do rope in a soft yellow/beige, I wanted to brighten up the center of this model a little, so I went for a white finish:

• Basecoat: Fenrisian Grey
    • Shade: Nuln Oil
    • Layer: Pallid Wych Flesh

As you can see in the photo, I painted up the lenses at this stage. I applied the same steps as described in earlier posts - for the helmet(s) on the Genestealer bases.

And the final job for the day was to paint up the trophies (teeth) hanging from the rope:

• Basecoat: Doombull Brown
    • "Feathered" Highlight: Ushabti Bone
    • Shade: Agrax Earthshade (where tooth meets golden clasp)
    • Edge (tip) Highlight: Pallid Wych Flesh

At that point I had to stop, as it was getting pretty late. I've still got details like the Stormbolter, cables and Genestealer "bits" to paint up. But I'm really pleased with how this first Terminator has turned out so far.
    Last edited by tarrym; 12-03-2017 at 21:42.
    Tomb Kings [plog]
    Skaven [Gallery] [plog]
    Terrain [Gallery] [plog]
    Space Hulk [plog]

...and I've now had time to finish off the first Terminator.

Cables:

• Basecoat: Fenrisian Grey
    • Highlight: Administratum Grey

I wasn't entirely sure about the choice of highlight. But then what else should you use to highlight from Fenrisian Grey?

You can also see that I painted the weapon using the same techniques as other parts of the model (red, silver, gold).

Genestealer:

I painted what was left of this Genestealer to match his living counter-parts (see earlier in this thread for details). I then wanted to add some blood, but "Blood for the Blood God" didn't seem right - humans bleed red, not gribbly space aliens!

So first I painted the veins:
    • Basecoat: Xereus Purple
    • Shade: Druchii Violet
    • Edge Highlight: Genestealer Purple - had to use it on at least one Genestealer right?!
    • Blood: 1:3 mix of 'Ardcoat and Carroburg Crimson, applied in 2 coats (2nd coat focusing on middle of bloodied areas)

So now I just need to pick up the pace a little and start cranking out more finished models!
    Tomb Kings [plog]
    Skaven [Gallery] [plog]
    Terrain [Gallery] [plog]
    Space Hulk [plog]

Quick update.

It's taken me a while, real-life being the ever reliable distraction that it is, but I've finished off the second terminator.

I'm still not convinced I'm using the gemstone technical paint correctly. I've watched the GW tutorial (Warhammer TV) and I'm pretty sure I'm doing just as Duncan says. Maybe I need to spend a little time on google/youtube to see if anyone else has posted tips on these paints.
    Tomb Kings [plog]
    Skaven [Gallery] [plog]
    Terrain [Gallery] [plog]
    Space Hulk [plog]