Thread: Model Box : random miniatures subscription?

Defender of teh Wastes DarthSte's Avatar

Model Box : random miniatures subscription?

Hi all. I saw an advert on Facebook advertising a monthly subscription box (like Lootcrate, Buddybox or Jogbox) that each month contains a selection of paints, miniatures, terrain, brushes etc, a general add in to your hobby stuff. The terrain and miniatures are the most interesting to me...

Anyway, I wondered whether anybody had used them, whether you'd recommend subscribing etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

Re: Model Box : random miniatures subscription?

what was it called ? do you have a link?

It's called "Model Box" or "Your Model Box", not 100% sure which...

http://yourmodelbox.com/

Librarian

I ordered a box with them before Xmas.

It came to around 27 inc. delivery if I remember rightly.

I was fairly well pacakged, although the box itself wasn't fancy. The theme for that month was "Sorcery".

I received ;
    AoW Archlich (the "Nagash" model)
    Two bottles of paint a green and very dark purple.
    A terrain piece (mdf) "Minor realmgate of life" I think.
    An essex miniature necromancer.
    A little box of miniature basing stuff.. (an "orb", set of candles, and an open spell book.)
    A diaroma bits kit. (contained a Large mirror, a stone slab with a sacrificial altar, candles and something else)

I'm almost sure there was something else, but I've forgotten.

I was fairly impressed in all honesty. I sold the miniatures and kept the rest. THe bits I'd never have found by myself, and the terrain kit will be useful. If you have spare cash, I'd definitely recommend it - especially if the theme is interesting. The danger is you end up with something you don't want/need- but its fun to have a random package coming in the mail. And whilst it was a little pricy, it was a hell of a lot better than other similar boxes I've tried.

I might have a few pictures someone of what I got if you're interested?

*edit* Meant to add. It was super easy to cancle, and the guys who deal with it seem really genuine. I get the feeling they're gamers/collectors too. I was planning to renew once my finances took a turn for the better

Quote Originally Posted by El_Commi View Post
    I ordered a box with them before Xmas.

SNIP

*edit* Meant to add. It was super easy to cancle, and the guys who deal with it seem really genuine. I get the feeling they're gamers/collectors too. I was planning to renew once my finances took a turn for the better
    Thanks for that, really helpful! Good to know it's easy to cancel. I may have a punt for a month or two...

I may have to look into this it seems like a good idea.

I've order one, just to have a look really. I don't really game any more, but still like miniatures, so this seems like an interesting way to get a variety of stuff.
    I'll post a mini mini unboxing when it arrives.

Not entirely sure with it. There was one of the crates a while back that did, essentially, the same thing, it folded because a lot of the minis related companies wouldn't commit to it and the timing portion jumped wildly to the point where they were having a lot of trouble. Add in that you would pretty much need multinational shipping as well since there would be big chunks of things in both Europe and the Americas...along with Australia starting to have a few good options. Everything would be a shipping nightmare for costs.

So, my first box arrived today and it was okay. Possibly not the best theme to start on.

So this month's theme was WAR, by which the curators of Model Box meant WW2. The box itself wasn't very big, but probably too big to go through most letter boxes.

The miniatures themselves were a good selection of nice miniatures, the first was a blister of Warlord Games Bolt Action German High Command, this is a kind of little vignette of three 28mm early war german officers stood around a small table with a map. I actually have a small German force for Bolt Action, so this is a nice addition for me. This is the miniature linky.

The second was quite a good one, not for a game I play, it was the Puma expansion for the Gale Force 9 game TANKS, this is a set that can be made into a Puma or a Pak-Wagon, it comes with a number of game cards for TANKS. Apparently it is identical to the model for Flames of War, so could be used for that (or any other 15mm WW2 wargame). Again linky.

The final model was a one piece resin scenery thing from Javis Scenics, it's a foxhole and appears to be in scale with the 28mm Germans. It's not terribly exciting, but a nice cast and an easy addition to any WW1 to Sci fi battlefields. Link.

As well as the models, there were a pair of Team Yankee paints (Woodland Brown and Ordnance Shade) which I assume were selected to go with the Germans. And a Rosemary and Co paint brush.

A couple of points in general, the contents of the box seem to come to a total value of 23, the box costs ~28 with postage, so although it's a nicely curated box, and nice to have a surprise selection, it's not a great value selection.

The box could do with a note explaining what and why was in the box, I've had a number of these mystery boxes in the past and they have all had a bit of info on what you've got and a tease of what's coming next. It would have been a quick and easy thing to have a paragraph or two about Bolt Action and TANKS and maybe a super brief painting guide.

The next box has the theme of Bombshells, so I'd expect some female character models.

Although I haven't been massively impressed with the box, in wasn't particularly disappointed either, so think I'll stick in it for next month and see what happens...
    Last edited by DarthSte; 21-03-2017 at 15:51. Reason: Manually correcting a load of autocorrect errors.

Banned

certainly an interesting idea

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSte View Post
    So, my first box arrived today and it was okay. Possibly not the best theme to start on.

So this month's theme was WAR, by which the curators of Model Box meant WW2. The box itself wasn't very big, but probably too big to go through most letter boxes.

The miniatures themselves were a good selection of nice miniatures, the first was a blister of Warlord Games Bolt Action German High Command, this is a kind of little vignette of three 28mm early war german officers stood around a small table with a map. I actually have a small German force for Bolt Action, so this is a nice addition for me. This is the miniature linky.

The second was quite a good one, not for a game I play, it was the Puma expansion for the Gale Force 9 game TANKS, this is a set that can be made into a Puma or a Pak-Wagon, it comes with a number of game cards for TANKS. Apparently it is identical to the model for Flames of War, so could be used for that (or any other 15mm WW2 wargame). Again linky.

The final model was a one piece resin scenery thing from Javis Scenics, it's a foxhole and appears to be in scale with the 28mm Germans. It's not terribly exciting, but a nice cast and an easy addition to any WW1 to Sci fi battlefields. Link.

As well as the models, there were a pair of Team Yankee paints (Woodland Brown and Ordnance Shade) which I assume were selected to go with the Germans. And a Rosemary and Co paint brush.

A couple of points in general, the contents of the box seem to come to a total value of 23, the box costs ~28 with postage, so although it's a nicely curated box, and nice to have a surprise selection, it's not a great value selection.

The box could do with a note explaining what and why was in the box, I've had a number of these mystery boxes in the past and they have all had a bit of info on what you've got and a tease of what's coming next. It would have been a quick and easy thing to have a paragraph or two about Bolt Action and TANKS and maybe a super brief painting guide.

The next box has the theme of Bombshells, so I'd expect some female character models.

Although I haven't been massively impressed with the box, in wasn't particularly disappointed either, so think I'll stick in it for next month and see what happens...
    Thanks for that! I waited out the War box as I expected it to be mostly WW1/2 stuff and that doesn't really interest me at this stage, (Who knows in the future!), and there's not an awful lot that can surprise you for those themes. Next months does intrigue me though, so I'll probably pick it up too. It'll be good to compare what we get I think!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSte View Post

LoL..TEDS... your review is almost identical to Mr Shuck's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Yeah, I'd not seen that review before, certainly have some shared views.

As Mr. Schuck points out, it may appeal more to the collector or hobbyist than the war gamer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    LoL..TEDS... your review is almost identical to Mr Shuck's.
    Beat me to it.

Yeah, as always Mr.Shuck put it very politely. They also mentioned it in one of the most recent episodes of the (ever-good) Meeples&Miniatures podcast.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the target audience for this. I've seen these kinds of subscription box things in relation to other things (mostly sports, general "geeky" merchandise and such). For that I guess I get it (if you're into that sort of thing).

Librarian

So, this month my box arrived today.

I received 3 models.

http://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Sv...ded/p/76693105

http://store.bombshellminis.com/10007-vivan-gale/

https://www.ragingheroes.com/collect...hot-blondie-jb

I have little use for either. So will likely Ebay. I was hoping they wouldn't include the Raging Heroes models as I really don't like them. It was to be expected.
    The bad Squidoo games is not really my style either.
    The bombshell model though interesting isn't one I'd choose. But there's a lot of their models I would, I think I just lucked out there. I'll definitly be having a look at their website and picking a few in the future. I'd never heard of them before which is why I like this type of box!

I got 2 branded dice, 2 army painter paints. (Goblin Green, and a purple) Which is also good, as I'd planned to try the army painter paints out.

A few leaflets and a cardboard coaster.
    A micro art studio base pack, (small circular bases, with vines..)

All in all, I'm a little disappointed this time around. No terrain kits, and the models I got I felt were fiarly uninspired. I really dislike Raging Heros and was hoping they'd have gone with infinity or elsewhere. But I guess you take a chance with these boxes.

As for the Bombshell models, I think I just lucked out with the model - I'll be looking at some of their kits in the future.
    On their facebook they mentioned they're looking into also doing boxes that don't have models, just accessories/terriain in the future. I think that's a better idea - as the models to me seem to be hit and miss.

Did you end up with the same models or?

It seems that other than the purple paint and dice, everything I received was different to yours.

So starting at the top, I got two small chocolate eggs, presumably for Easter, although the box didn't get dispatched until after Easter.

The pair of dice are nice enough, they are a translucent pearl-ish white... typical 6 sided thing, with a model box logo on the 1 spot. The logo is a fist grabbing some paint brushes...

Which neatly brings us to the paints, two pots of Army Painter paints, one is Alien Purple, the other Crystal Blue. No brush this month (which is a bit of a pain, as my wife used the one that came last month for a DIY project and left it caked in black Humbrol enamel paint...)

The bases I received were also Micro Art Studio (all of the manufacturers are the same as those that El_Commi received), mine were not vine covered but gribbly covered. A pack of five 25mm round Hive bases. Link.
    They're okay, very nice looking, I just don't know where I would use them? I suppose for a Tyranid or similar force they would be in keeping.

The model from Bad Squiddo was a bit random, it is "Phoolan Devi, Samzjwadi Politician", sculpted by Alan Marsh. It's a gentle sculpt, I'm just not really sure which game system you would use the figure in. Link.

The box also contains a postcard sized leaflet about Bad Squiddo and their quest for "believable female miniatures". I'm glad that they included this, as in my first box (last month) I was disappointed that there was no information on any of the manufacturers, it seemed like something so easy to remedy, so the leaflet is a step in the right direction.

The second miniature is from Raging Heroes, I quite like this model, it's a multi-part resin sculpt of Tania Tanker from the Jailbirds range. She's kitted out with a bionic arm and a choice of what looks like a pump action shotgun or a rocket launcher. Again a couple of leaflets, well as cardboard coaster / beer mat, and a bookmark type flyer advertising their kickstarter, which appears to have finished. Anyway, link Here.

The final model was from the Bombshell Miniatures Babes range, a single piece metal miniature called Bug Spray, who is described as a reluctant exterminator of xenomorphs. She's carry a mahosive gun and should be able splatter a large number of xenomorphs before they inevitably chomp on her bones.Link.

Doing the maths, I think this month the box comes in with slightly more value than it cost, which is nice.

Barbarians next month...

Now let's see if I can get any of these painted... where's my brush?
    Last edited by DarthSte; 21-04-2017 at 21:01. Reason: Just some formatting stuff...

I kind of like the idea of these in theory, but I always have trouble reconciling the overall value of the product with the complete lack of choice. I feel like if you don't know what you're getting you should get 2-3 times as much as you could normally buy for that amount.