Thread: Nintendo Switch

Nintendo Switch

Out on Friday, anyone getting it, I am going to the midnight launch to pick it up, working friday as well!

I went for Zelda and the silver joycons, quite old school with the very limited launch titles.

Re: Nintendo Switch

I had hoped to get it since I pre-ordered and everything but I just got a mail saying that Nintendo is having trouble keeping up with demands so they don't have enough Switch to for everyone who pre-ordered.
    Armies of Malagor:
    Warhammer Fantasy/9th Age: Beastmen, Bretonnia, Vampire Counts, Lizardmen, Ogre Kingdoms, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarfs, Legion of Chaos, Undead Legion.
    Warhammer 40k: Chaos Space Marines, Ad-mech, Sisters of Battle
    Warmahordes: Skorne, Trollbloods, Khador, Circle Orboros

Brother Sergeant

I will wait until there are at least 3 exclusive games I'd like to buy for the system, THEN I'll buy the Switch. Nintendo will not pull a WiiU on me again Mario games don't count, I've grown out of them, sadly.

I am absolutely going to get it; however due to financial concerns it seems I'm not being able to afford it just yet. It is a bit on the expensive side, though I have no doubt it will be worth every single cent. I have been a Nintendo fan for my entire life and there was never any question if I will get it, only when. Unfortunately it pains me to say I see a pattern in Nintendo stuff becoming ever more pricey as time goes on, which precludes me from getting all the shinies at launch day. Unfathomable as it may be, I waited a full 2 years to buy a Wii U until I was absolutely positive it wouldn't get any cheaper, despite having a veritable library of Wii U games at home. If there are more people like me in the world then this may well have contributed to the Wii U flopping as hard as it did. And now just for the icing on the cake I'm going forward and outing myself in saying that I find the Wii U to be superior to the Wii in almost every regard. I was never a big fan of constantly having to change batteries during playtime. Nothing could break immersion more and kill the experience dead outright. I have no idea why this system was so stupid successful.

Still Nintendo always manages to blow he competition straight out of the water for me.

All this really baffles one's mind huh.

Picked it up last night, got Zelda, Bomberman and 1-2 Switch.

First impressions, really cool, the joycons are quite small, I have big hands but they dont seem unconfortable.

Zelda is graphically very good.

Bomberman and 1-2 Switch are great fun, the ability to play 2p right out of the box is brilliant!

If I may ask a question regarding Bomberman, I was automatically assuming it has a 1P mode of sorts (normally I'm expecting a full-fledged story mode), but then it occurred to me that maybe I'm setting my expectations too high. Truth be told, I got my fingers burned in the past by the franchise after some truly horrible installments and haven't bought a Bomberman game since the N64 days, so I'm not even sure what to expect. The main selling point of the franchise has always been the multiplayer mode, and the entire concept of the Switch seems to point in that very direction. Would you say the game is still worth it if you plan on playing it mainly by yourself? Or is it just a glorified party game?

Managed to get a switch afterall, wasn't the grey one that I wanted but screw it, just a color afterall.
    First impression is very positive. I only got Zelda so haven't tried many games but interested in maybe getting the pro controller on wednesday and get Bomberman too.
    The Pros:
    - In handheld mode, I think the Switch is very nice. It has a nice weight to it, not too heavy but doesn't have that cheap plastic feel either. So it feels nice to hold.
    - The screen in handheld mode is really nice. As I said, only got Zelda and it looks beautiful when playing in handheld.
    - the switching between handheld and docked is very smooth and very cool.
    - The various control methods are nice touch and that it offers it right out of the bag too. Other consoles takes quite a while before offering different ways to control a game if ever.
    - The Joygrip controller that you get with the box is just fine, feels nice to hold and all that.
    - Zelda is so far great. Nintendo were very clever with holding back this game so that it will be launched alongside the Switch instead of on the Wii-U and there is no better game to sell a new console for Nintendo then with a Zelda game and had it already been out on Wii-U then it wouldn't sell that well.

Cons:
    - The joycons feels small and not comfortable. It gets a bit better when you get the straps on them but they are still too small to be comfortable. I can't see myself playing with these for an extended period of time if I'm playing with friend or family.
    - Joygrip not recharging your joycons, a bit crappy that they are selling one seperately that does what this one should.
    - The gamebox, why does it have to be this big ? Seriously, the game card is so small, why is the game box over 10 times as big ? Remember the gameboy game boxes, it was about twice the size of the game cartridge but here the box is even bigger then that and yet the card is way smaller as well. Nitpicking I know but it seems like such a waste of plastic.
    - 1-2 Switch should be included. From all that I have read, reviews and all that, 1-2 Switch is pretty much a tech-demo, just like Wii Sports was. Include it with the console. I'm pretty sure they will at some point but shame it isn't at launch.
    Armies of Malagor:
    Warhammer Fantasy/9th Age: Beastmen, Bretonnia, Vampire Counts, Lizardmen, Ogre Kingdoms, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarfs, Legion of Chaos, Undead Legion.

I have read reviews that state Zelda experiences occasional lags and small drops in frame rate when played on the TV screen. Also some people apparently found the Joy Cons to spontaneously disconnect for no apparent reason during playing. However those were likely demos, not the finalized system for retail. Anyone experience something like that?

Oh, and considering my Gigantesco Mano... RIP Joy Cons.
    Last edited by Ultimate Life Form; 03-03-2017 at 18:28.

Yes there is occasional frame-rate drops with Zelda, They don't happen very often tho thankfully and doesn't ruin the experience.
    And haven't noticed the disconnect but then again, been playing mostly with the joygrip controller which doesn't have those issues apperently.
    And the Joycons feel nice when upright but when you turn them sideways then nope. I can imagine for kids that they would be ok but for adults with average hands, best to invest in another joygrip or pro-controller.
    Armies of Malagor:

Okay, I don't particularly mind the framerate drop. Most Game Boy games had those to be honest, and I still have very fond memories of Turok 2 even though it was borderline unplayable due to such issues. A shooter where you cannot aim precisely...

I trust Nintendo to deliver quality, as always.

Well I can actually duplicate the frame-rate drop so far, it happens right at the start, the scene that we have all seen in the gameplay previews of Link waking up, you go out of the cave and you see an old man by a fire and a temple across a lake.
    If you go down that path, about halfway down and move the camera, the frame-rate drops for like a second, it's noticable and tried it a few times and indeed, in that general area, moving the camera makes the frame-rate drop for a second.
    All other areas, no problem, not 60fps but Nintendo said that it wouldn't be in 60fps so guess can't expect that.
    Also tried playing the joycons in each hand while playing for a longer duration. Not the comfortable way to play but I experienced no lag or disconnect from them and I'm pretty sure that my discomfort is simply due to not being used to play such a game with my hands pretty much to my sides, much more used to the classic controller position where the hands are closer.
    Armies of Malagor:

As a handheld console I'm impressed with Nintendo switch. I'm just waiting for a core Pokemon game to be in Nintendo switch, but since they'll be releasing Pokken deluxe this September I changed my mind. I'll get myself a Nintendo Switch but after I acquire new replacement truck wheels.

Chapter Master

This thing has been out for six months now, and the eShop library has grown substantially, but is anybody out there enjoying any particular title?

I have been playing
    • Zelda BotW (still)
    • Cave Story
    • VOEZ (surprisingly good way to relax, pity nobody west of China is going to recognize any of the music)
    • Puyo Puyo Tetris

I've been thinking about picking up Ironcast (I really like both Faster than Light and Puzzle & Dragons and I'm told it's like a hybrid between the two).
    Also considering picking up Shantae, Shovel Knight, Fast RMX, World of Goo.

Really looking forward to releases for Crypt of the Necrodancer, Redout, Project Octopath, Doom, Darkest Dungeon, and others. Need to be careful or else it'll end up being just like collecting toy soldiers! I'll buy them and they'll just sit on a shelf untouched for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
    If the Catachan Arm Monster became codex legal I'd have a full army
    This would be a Plog if I weren't so lazy. (Updated September 2, 2013)

Oh, yeah, I have been absolutely rocking Shovel Knight lately, however the Wii U version, Plague of Shadows, which will most likely differ slightly from the Switch version.

I must say it is definitely one of the best games to come out lately. Unfortunately it is severely underrated. There is a line of thinking amongst young people these days that if a game doesn't sport the latest 3D graphics it can't be good. To which I say, what is the point of high end graphics when the game simply sucks (hello every Sonic game since 2006).

Judging Shovel Knight on its own merits, I have to say that it's an absolute blast. The gameplay is extremely crisp and precise, which should be standard for a platformer but unfortunately this is not always the case (again hello Sonic). I have never encountered a bug or glitch, EVER, and the level design especially in the later stages can be challenging but is always fair. There is a way around every challenge the devs put in your way, and it's mostly about figuring out what works best. As your arsenal expands you get more and more tricks to play with and enjoy a certain amount of liberty when choosing your strategy. There is always more than one way to beat a boss, but you will likely have to face them a few dozen times to figure out their attacks and patterns.

As for the game itself, you play as the hero, Shovel Knight (duh) who has to defeat the evil Enchantress and her Order of no Quarter, but depending on the version there is also the option to play as a member of the Order, meaning you get to actually be the bad guy. Depending on the character you choose gameplay will be changed dramatically, and bosses and stages that gave you a hard time as Shovel Knight will suddenly be a breeze or vice versa.

Shovel Knight could be best described as a hybrid between the classic Mega Man formula and the legendary NES Duck Tales. All the characters just ooze personality and have strong themes attached to them, just like the Robot Masters of yore. However there is also a strong treasure hunting aspect to the game; you will want to explore every nook and cranny for Magic Items and you will constantly be longing for money to purchase upgrades. The world itself is created with incredible attention to detail and the devs have gone that extra mile to include countless easter eggs, extra animations and surprises for those who would bother looking which tells you that this game was made by truly passionate people. Also, the soundtrack is top notch and you don't get to hear stuff like that much anymore.

So, if you are not repelled by the retro style, I can absolutely, 100% recommend Shovel Knight; it looks old-fashioned but when you play it you will realize it is absolutely state of the art.
    Last edited by Ultimate Life Form; 03-10-2017 at 21:03.