Thread: A Brief Diversion into 40mm scale Dark Ages

A Brief Diversion into 40mm scale Dark Ages

Hi all, I've been working on my own game idea, Age of Bronze, for a few years and though I was thinking of 28mm I've recently been toying with the idea of starting in 40mm scale so I thought I'd grab a handful of minis just to see what they are like. I am also kinda tempted to make a whole SAGA force in 40mm so this should give me enough time to get the painted before Salute incase I decide to pick up more minis.

Anyway, though my own game is set in the early european bronze age there aren't any minis available anymore; Monolith Designs did sell some but they have since ceased trading. In the end I decided to grab some of the England Invaded minis from Hoka Hey Wargaming. I ordered the Pict Noble and a pack of Saxon Warriors; the customer service was brilliant, Alan is a great chap.

So my plan here is to check out the scale and then if I like them, actually try to sculpt some minis of my own for Age of Bronze. First things first though, I need to build and paint my new 40mm minis.

Here's a few pics...

AS you can see I've already started on the Pict Noble. The casts are great with only a bit of pitting on the horse, which will be covered by the rider anyway, so that will actually help the glue bond. I can already see the minis have a great sense of presence; interestingly though the noble towers over
    the Eldar Guardian and the Wargames Factory Numidian (both 28mm scale(ish)) he's pretty much the same height as a Stormcast mini (not shown). So 40mm is GWs new fantasy scale...?

My next step then is to finish building these fellas up then I can crack out the paints.

Re: A Brief Diversion into 40mm scale Dark Ages

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Egg View Post
    So 40mm is GWs new fantasy scale...?
    I imagine so... I look forward to seeing these painted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    I imagine so... I look forward to seeing these painted.
    I was gonna say 40mm sounded too big, but that doesnt shock me that GW Has scale-creeped that far...

Im excited to see them painted up!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Well, progress is slower than I'd like...

The Pict Chieftain has a couple of little hollows in the casting I had to fill with GS, I also had to fill in some dings in the hands. The saddle kinda floated so I used GS to help ground it to the horse. The chieftain's sword was missing a pommel so I had to GS one.

The Saxons have been tidied up and as with the chieftain I slapped on a bit of GS to hide the integral base they came with. Hopefully this week I can get all the weapons fixed and start painting.

*thumbs up*
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Nice

Thanks guys.

Things are moving a little slow right now as I've been sculpting up a new spear to replace the javelin...it looks more like a Roman Pilum to me so I thought I'd go with another spear. The spear head is sculpted I just need to finish the hand then pop it in place. The rest of the minis have been built so once the spear is done and bases sanded I can undercoat and get the paints out, fingers crossed by the end of the week.

So far I'm enjoying working on these chaps and am a little tempted to build up a couple of small forces using mostly Sash & Sabre minis from Old Glory. But, if I want to collect them at Salute then I only have just over a week to decide so they can be ordered up in time.

Now GW have said they are gunna release Shadow War: Armageddon which is kinda the 40k game I've been waiting for so I'm a bit torn...