Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 2: February and March WIP

Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 2: February and March WIP

Wow, where did February go?

Here's the thread for stuff you painted in the month of February, and anything you are working on this month

Re: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 2: February and March WIP

Here's my entry for Feb. As usual, bases will come later.

Preview for next month:
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Not a lot of painting for me this month, but I managed to finish off the Fimir:

And with the Fimir done, my set of Kellar's Keep is finished!

I'll have to think about what to paint next...

Very nice, Benvoliothefirst, a really nice set of greenskins you've got there. As well as being well painted, I like the little conversions done to stop them all being the same, gives them character too. I've also changed the painted/joker list, sorry for the confusion.

Covering Fire - Two months in and you've finished a game already! Impressive! Do you have any other Heroquest expansions or are you thinking of something completely different? Whatever you decide, I look forward to seeing it.

More dungeon creepy crawlies from me this month, this time some Giant Ants, as well as some Wolves and an Imperial Noble;

After playing the joker last month we've finished our two models Sister Mary and the doctor. Quite happy how they turned out though blackcherry has insisted on the challenge he learns to stop doing googly eyes so it doesn't look every character hes painted is a member of the muppets. TheRealNewGirl thinks its just because the doctor has been self medicating too much..... :/

What are peoples thoughts? C/C always appreciated and what do people think of our home made light box? More progress pics on our thread but hope you enjoy these for now.

And for the other images here is the link to our thread

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...e-of-quot-plog!
    Originally posted by Lord Damocles
    New Girl is the best girl.

Month 2 complete: The Screaming Antelope.

While I'm not perfectly happy with it, I'm happy enough to call it finished. Maybe.

For month 3 I have a couple of options primed and sitting on my desk. Choices, choices...

Doi

Covering Fire: I love that you've completed a set already! They all look great and very consistent. It's a personal preference but I might hit them with a dullcote of some kind, they seem kinda shiny.

Daemonslave, the critters look like they must've been a slog. I never want to see another snotling again as long as I live. Results are fantastic though! I love how you've done all the bases. And the wolf pelts look very realistic. And thanks for the adjustment, I'll be more clear in my posts going forward!

TRNG (Haha, now I'm thinking about Star Trek TNG): Again I love your bases, and the medical bag with the doctor. I think Sister Mary's eyes are a huge improvement over the Doctor. I struggle with eyes, next time I'm going to try painting the whole thing black first and then putting a tiny dot of white on either side second, I think I heard that in a White Dwarf way back.

I think your models could use a little more shading, either that or your photos aren't doing them justice because the contrast isn't very sharp. If you're using a free program like picasa you can do a quick "auto-contrast" to make sure you're using the full range of light-dark. Excited to see your next entry, and THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the hard work on Warseer!

Doi, I'm so happy you're doing Kingdom Death! Love the models, and I think your paint job is superb. What else were you thinking about doing with it? I can't see anything you could improve upon, except maybe a little brighter highlight on the eyes to make 'em look wet. But that's something all great artists struggle with: Knowing when to stop! Better to err on the side of caution than go too far and regret it. Can we all vote on what you paint next?
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Veteran Sergeant Great horned owl's Avatar

I have finished 3 minis in two evenings.
    That's a speed record, because I am usually a slow painter.

3 down, only 113 more to go.
    I will probably do a few zombies next.
    I don't like zombies, so I want to get them away from my paint station as soon as I can.

Greetz,
    Owl
    Owl can spell his name ("Wol") and the word "Tuesday" (so that you know it isn't Wednesday). He can also read, although only if no-one is looking over his shoulder.
    (From The house at Pooh corner)

Well February's WIP has become March's WIP, mainly because I was sick for three weeks (damn flu!) but also because there's a lot of detail on those Space Marines! Here's where I am up to now:

So the end is in sight, just the eyes and a million decorative drops of blood to go!
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    Doi, I'm so happy you're doing Kingdom Death! Love the models, and I think your paint job is superb. What else were you thinking about doing with it? I can't see anything you could improve upon, except maybe a little brighter highlight on the eyes to make 'em look wet. But that's something all great artists struggle with: Knowing when to stop! Better to err on the side of caution than go too far and regret it. Can we all vote on what you paint next?
    The eyes need something. I might shade the recesses some more and hit it with a gloss varnish. The main thing I'm not happy with is the tiny hands around the gaping maw. I couldn't find a happy medium between "obviously not main body" and "stands out like a sore thumb".

As for voting for what I do next, that could be done within reason. I tend to have a few models on the trot so I'm not always stuck waiting for paint to dry although I end up having to focus on one to get it finished for the ToBP deadline. The two I'm going to start this month are the White Lion (first picture, on left) and Manhunter (second picture, on right), but maybe votes could sway which one ends up as March instead of April...

Doi

I'd vote manhunter, mainly because I have seen a lot of White Lions painted, but not so much the other figure.
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

I'll have to play my joker for last month. I'm working on a Tzaangor Shaman still. It's near completion though, so I'll try and paint a second hero to win my joker back!

Chapter Master

Dang!

I just kept painting and completely forgot to post pictures.

Well... This is where I stand now. I'm calling the water done. Or rather, I'm calling it don't-want-to-bother-anymore. It was time to move on to other parts of the islands...

I've been working on Skeleton Turtle (aka. Mr. Skeletor), slowly building the bone up. I think it needs a layer of pure white to pop it - we'll see about that.

I've also worked on the dwarf wreck. Not entirely pleased on that though. I started with a dark metallic, then gave it a wash with the new gloss brown and black washes. Turned out to be a bit of a mistake as the following orange and brown washes, intended to add a rusty colour to the metal, couldn't bite into the surface left by the washes, leaving them to pool in the recesses instead. I'm thinking that I might need to go back over it and feather some white into the surface before washing it again. That might give the rust something to bit into.

Finally, I also started on all the other wrecks. And this was where I damn near gave up. Been a long while since I painted something as tedious and soul crushing as those wrecks. They have all kinds of nooks and crannies you need to get into, yet you can't afford to make a single mistake as you're working up against the drybrushed water and rock.

And the worst is that this was only the base colour. I'll need to go over it several more times to build up contrast and highlights.

Woe be me...

Also, I have to say that the general quality of the islands leave a lot to be desired. When we know what Games Workshop is capable of doing, this is really... Well.. It's subpar, it really is. Many of the islands should have been made in multiple pieces to achieve the undercuts needed to really make them work. As it is, the design reminds me more of extrusion casting than sliding mould casting. This is particularly evident with those wrecks that have masts laying against the rocks. There's a large area behind the masts that are neither rock, nor mast. And no matter how you paint it, it won't look right.

Oh well... I promised myself that I would do this one straight out of the box with limited fuss and no conversions. So it will have to be as it is.

To be honest, I've begun working on other projects lately, simply to give myself a bit of a break. So in the end, this might take longer than I planed. But so what? I'm not in a hurry.

I might start mixing some Blood Bowl into this tale, just to give myself a break. Who knows...?

Chapter Master

And this is how the wrecks looks after three passes, a wash, and another pass.

Somebody please kill me...

Wondering if I should do another pass with a bit of white mixed into the colour, just to lighten the wood even more?

For what it's worth, I think the wrecks look awesome!

@ Solun Decius. Cheers, the photo makes them look pinker than what they are, they are Warlock purple paint. I plan to do some scroll work, just not sure what to put on yet.

@Doi. It's a thin sheet of cork, around 2mill I think. Comes all rolled up and there is 2 metres in total so I have plenty to work through. Screaming antelope looks good, kinda freaky with no insides... I vote for maneater if that's ok?

@F2k. Looking sweet there man, really think you are doing an awesome job. You fancying to start blood bowl as well? What teams you looking to do?
    Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.

@benvoliothefirst. Looking good! The goblin with the chaos horns is a nice touch, did he kill a chaos warrior for them or steal em I wonder.

@Covering Fire. Congratulations on finishing, that's gone quick. The Fimir look sweet and all three units tie in nicely with each other, well done.

@Daemonslave. Your creepy crawlies look as impressive as always. I really like the haughty look of the noble and the detail on his base is amazing. Are they leaves or moss?

@Teh Real New Girl. I agree with benvoilotthefirst and everyone struggles with eyes. I have seen people using fine lighter pens and needles to dot the eyes as that keeps the black dots small and are easier to control than a brush. Could give that a try?

@Great horned owl. Never seen those miniatures before (must of lived a sheltered life ) but I think they look great! Really like the tyre and I'm looking forward to seeing more from the set!

@lorelon. You have taken your time on them and it shows! They are looking brilliant and detailed. What colour are you doing the droplets? Sticking to red of purple? Would be nice to see the thunder hammer guy a bit closer maybe? You have spent time on them so show them off!
    Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.

Chapter Master

@Covering Fire: Nice work on those old school models. So, where to next?

@Daemonslave: Those are truly creepy. I feel like reaching for a nice fat rolled-up newspaper…

@Teh Real New Girl: Light looks great. The models are slightly out of focus though.

@Doi: Interesting paint scheme. I usually see those with some variation of red and white. Looks good.

@Great horned owl: Nice output for a couple of evenings. But… Ehhh… A tire…???

@lovelorn: Shaping up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalenchar View Post
    For what it's worth, I think the wrecks look awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarika View Post
    @F2k. Looking sweet there man, really think you are doing an awesome job. You fancying to start blood bowl as well? What teams you looking to do?
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. :-)

I really need a daylight lamp though. I've been painting mostly during the evening where it's dark so I have to rely on lamplight. Had a look at it in daylight today and the wrecks are actually far more brown-ish than I had expected. Oh well...

As for Blood Bowl, I've got a fair amount of new and old teams lined up. Got the Humans, Orks and Skaven from the new release and... Ummm... WhatdoIhave...? High Elves, Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs, Haflings, Goblins, Snotlings (Ogres) from the older versions... I think that's it. Was considering converting some Dryads I once got in a trade to a Wood Elf team as well.

In other words, I got enough to keep me occupied for a little while...

First up, some more comments;

Teh Real New Girl - a nice start to your collection of heroes. I know you weren't 100% happy with the eyes but they are probably the hardest part to paint on a miniature. You'll have a nice set when all done.

Doi - That goat is stunning (if an undead creature can be described in such a way). The skin tones and effect really look excellent as does the hair. Cracking stuff!

Great Horned Owl - A nice start on some unusual creatures, the colour schemes really suit and they are well done. I must confess I had a similar reaction to f2k - a killer tire? Haha

lorelorn - I know you said you haven't finished them yet, but they are a good standard now (so I'll consider it a completed month for you) but I look forward to seeing them in all their glory once you have done all the gems, etc.

f2k - Those scenery pieces really look nice. Once the entire set is complete and we see some pics of it on the ocean mat that comes with the game I have a feeling we are all going to be insanely jealous.

So how are we all doing?

Name / Painted Months / Jokers

Daemonslave / 2 / 0
    DYoung / 0 / 2
    April / 0 / 2
    DarthSte / 0 / 2
    Lorelorn / 1 /1
    Skywave / 0 / 2
    f2k / 2 / 0
    Zarika / 2 / 0
    Benvoliothefirst / 2 / 0
    blackcherry / Teh Real New Girl / 1 / 1
    Covering Fire / 2 / 0
    Hammerhand / 0 / 2
    Thalenchar / 1 / 1
    Doi / 2 / 0
    Harry / 0 / 2
    Kaltheras / 1 / 1
    Itsacon / 0 / 2
    Solun Decius / 1 / 1
    Great horned owl / 1 / 1
    Rikk / 0 / 2

Please let me know if I have made a mistake with this list

@ benvoliothefirst: Nice work, I really like the skin-tone on the first set of goblins (I've always liked the yellow-green skin tone, but always stuck to more traditional green myself). And you've just gone to show that my beloved Dark Elves make the best weapons in the Old World. The Skaven might steal shields from all over the place but they've only got DE weapons .

@ Covering Fire: I really like the aged bronze/gold look on the Fimir, top knotch!

@ Daemonslave: Ooh, how did you paint the wolf fur? I never liked the way I did the wolves in my Goblin Cavalry force, so I'd love to steal that for my planned extension to the force.

@ Teh Real New Girl/blackcherry: The colour schemes are excellent, very Lovecraftian. As for the pictures, it seems like you could benefit from using the macro function which should let you take close-ups without it going grainy. And check if your camera has an auto-correct for light balance and turn it off (or at least, down) which should stop washing out the colours.

@ Great horned owl: Tire is amazing. I really should get around to watching that movie. I just checked out the Lobotomy kickstarter and there are some excellent miniatures there that I can't wait for you to bring out. Especially the Chief Hospital Administrator.

@ lorelorn: You're doing an excellent job so far. For the amount of detail on these models you're making a cracking pace.

@ f2k: It's all looking fantastic, I wouldn't add anything else to them (except the unpainted sails, of course). Don't forget that the board is also insanely detailed and flashy coloured, so you don't want the ships to get lost in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    @Doi: Interesting paint scheme. I usually see those with some variation of red and white. Looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonslave View Post
    Doi - That goat is stunning (if an undead creature can be described in such a way). The skin tones and effect really look excellent as does the hair. Cracking stuff!
    Thanks guys. There certainly has been quite a few Screaming Antelope's painted up to look like they've been skinned (or have no skin, I guess), but I preferred sticking to the colour scheme in the artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by lorelorn View Post
    I'd vote manhunter, mainly because I have seen a lot of White Lions painted, but not so much the other figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarika View Post
    I vote for maneater if that's ok?
    Ask and ye shall receive. I've nearly finished the skin on the Manhunter.

Doi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast