Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 2: February and March WIP

Re: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 2: February and March WIP

I'm claiming this as my February painting!

Troll (Gríđur) & Dwarf Chieftain (Austri)

Seaworthy: Ships and Sea Serpent (Jörmungandr)

I had a late start in February, but at least I'm done within two weeks of the first. I'll gradually get this to within the first week of the month

I wanted to work with a pretty limited pallette and a quick watercolory style on the monsters, so while a lot of the ornaments on the troll would have looked great in gold, I stuck to the simple colors and just picked out the hammer and eyes a bit, as well as Jörmungandr's maw.
    The dwarf is a more traditional warhammer color style though, I think.

I'm having a lot of fun with this, since every model is "one off" and I can mix up whatever junk happens on my pallette and not worry about remembering schemes or anything.

A little googly-eye advice, and C&C for all you productive painters will follow in another post or two.
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

@blachcherry & TheRealNewGirl: The absolute key to not doing googly eyes is to not show any white above the pupil. I have seen pro painters (and tried myself with good results) paint eyes before they paint anything else on a mini. It's much easier to paint up to the eye without hitting the eye, than it is to paint the eye without spilling outside it.
    Here I've added a crude black line above each eye and that already makes it less medicated.

Putting a line like that requires control and control requires practice, but other things can help control. Thinner/wetter paints and less paint in the brush give better control. Wet paint and then wiping to make a good point is good. I wipe on my hand to get a better point than wiping on paper. Also thinking about the direction you tilt the brush, so that it doesn't accidentally hit the eye. Pushing the brush into the recess above the eye means you don't require steady hands, like you need when freehanding the line with no support. The groove above the eye can give the brush support.

Maybe some of this helps. Good eyes can really make or break a mini so it's important to practice them.
    Last edited by Solun Decius; 12-03-2017 at 14:18.

I know that when joining this thread, I said my project would be Warhammer Quest, but I really need to get my Blood Bowl team done before our new league starts next month. And since BB is a boardgame too, I figure this is alright for my march project:

I'm painting a crapload of quite old models for WFB, 40K, Blood Bowl, Quest, Necromunda, BFG and more. Cheer me on!
    I'm also restoring 20+ old Mk1 Space Marine tanks. Wave your pom-poms!

Models painted (% finished): 2014: 51 (6.6%); 2015: 106 (13.5%); 2016: 163 (22.6%); 2017: 35 (25.2%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonslave View Post
    Covering Fire - Two months in and you've finished a game already! Impressive! Do you have any other Heroquest expansions or are you thinking of something completely different? Whatever you decide, I look forward to seeing it.
    Thanks! It was only a small game, but nevertheless! I've decided to take on Deathwatch: Overkill next!

Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    Covering Fire: I love that you've completed a set already! They all look great and very consistent. It's a personal preference but I might hit them with a dullcote of some kind, they seem kinda shiny.
    Yes, I agree on the shinyness. I think it was the varnish I used that made them shiny. I'll try out the dullcote if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarika View Post
    @Covering Fire. Congratulations on finishing, that's gone quick. The Fimir look sweet and all three units tie in nicely with each other, well done.
    Thanks! I went for a quick and dirty approach on these. In essence just basecoats, washes and next to no highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    @Covering Fire: Nice work on those old school models. So, where to next?
    Thanks! I'll journey into the far future next with Deathwatch: Overkill!

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    @ Covering Fire: I really like the aged bronze/gold look on the Fimir, top knotch!
    Thanks! I also like the gold-ish parts. It's Fulgurite Copper with Nuln Oil wash.

After deciding to tackle Deathwatch: Overkill next, I started out with the four Aberrants. A basecoat of Daemonette Hide and a wash of Druchii Violet gave me a good foundation for the skin.

Uh-oh! It looks like the Chaos Dreadnought in the background has them in his sights...EAT PLASMA, ALIEN SCUM!

Veteran Sergeant Great horned owl's Avatar

Comments:

@benvoliothefirst: I like how the light green on their faces accentuates their grin. Good job!

@Covering Fire: I am one of the people who started this hobby with Hero Quest a long time ago. I like your Fimir, they are so much better than mine (=painted with enamel paints, not shaded or highlighted).

@Daemonslave: so many in only a month? The Ants are nice, but I like the Wolves more. The colour of their fur looks natural. Makes me doubt the Wolf head I’m painting right now.
    It seems the shadows in the face of the noble are washed out by your camera.

@Teh Real New Girl & Blackcherry: Like I said in your plog, you are off to a great start. Finding and painting custom miniatures for a game is great fun.
    Painting eyes is a difficult but rewarding task. They give character to the mini. Blackcherry had picked a difficult one to practice his skills. Hats and helmets make painting eyes even more difficult. (I still dread the eyes on my High Elves).

@Doi: I had not seen anything from Kingdom Death yet, so I asked Google. That’s a lot of miniatures. If you paint them all as good as the Dragon Tyrant and Antelope it will be magnificent.

@lorelorn: Glad that you have overcome the stubborn flu. I look forward to seeing the finished Terminators.

@f2k: I think the water, islands and wrecks look great. Keep it up and the set will look fantastic.

@Solun Decius: Looking good, especially the skin on the troll. But I must say that I would like to see them on a plain coloured background.

@Itsacon: The WIP picture of your dwarves looks promising. Are they GW dwarves?

Answer to comments:

Thank you all for the positive reactions.
    Lobotomy was on Kickstarter last year (3130 backers) and it is not on sale yet. So it’s not strange that you haven’t seen it before. The players are patients, trying to escape a psychiatric hospital. Maybe the monsters are real, or maybe they only exist in the patients imagination. The killer tire could be something innocent, like a potted plant or a wheelchair.
    I will paint the Chief Hospital administrator after the zombies (the mental patients) and the skeletons (the scavengers). Those are my least favourites.
    I also bought the ‘From the deep’ expansion and a few extras, like the alternate final Boss Cthulhu. That one will be fun too.
    Owl can spell his name ("Wol") and the word "Tuesday" (so that you know it isn't Wednesday). He can also read, although only if no-one is looking over his shoulder.
    (From The house at Pooh corner)

Work in progress! I've applied a few basecoats and washes. Highlights will follow...

@benvoliothefirst: Very nice goblins man. Your greens are so smooth. Strong crisp shading on the faces of the armored ones.

@Covering Fire: Ah, the fimir. I just played Heroquest again, now with my 10 year old daughter. My first game since the early nineties. Some of it is even painted. Horribly painted, but probably the most important miniature painting of my life
    Yours looks great BTW
    Nice colors already on the skin of those xenos. Great progress!

@Daemonslave: Those wolves look excellent. Very realistic gradient of colors. Bugs look sweet as before. The noble is nicely painted, but is there something weird about the model itself? Seems off somehow.

@Teh Real New Girl: The painting is nice and you’re going for details. The eyes and pupils on Sister Mary are very well placed. What you should think about is base coating the dark colors (lots of black there) in a lighter color, in order to leave some room for depth. You could also add some highlights, even to black robes, to make them pop a bit.

@Doi: Very smooth and vivid painting on the ‘lope. It isn’t screaming though something very sinister coming still that in model and paint job.
    Also, great skin on the manhunter.

@Great horned owl: Haha, maybe not the most complex minis this month (I’m looking at you tire), but Slytherio looks really good. Nice shading and gradient between the back and “chest”.
    Thanks for the comment. I’ll try a less cluttered background for later finished photos.

@lorelorn: Termies still looking nice. Those GW space marines can be a pain to finish with all that sweet sweet detail that you just can’t leave out

@f2k: Details coming along nicely. Yeah, the places where different materials meet in those islands aren’t the sharpest casting, but you get the distinction pretty sharp nonetheless. You could always go for some freehanded wood grain on those wrecks , but they definitely look crazy good already.

For my WIP this month I wanted to elaborate a bit on the "paint the eyes first" method. It could definitely be better executed, but the good thing is that even if I didn't get all the paint exactly where I wanted it, this method ends up with a very decent look, and makes it so much easier to do the hardest parts, whites and irises.

Top row:
    Step 1: a few passes of fairly thinned down white, to make sure there's a perfect white base, but also that the surface is smooth.
    Step 2: A thinned down yellowish brown, mixed with white to "shade" the eyes. It's OK that it goes all over the face. It'll be covered with darker paint later.
    Step 3: Here I paint the irises. I paint them from above and try to have them stronger at the top of the eye than the bottom. Again it's OK that it goes all over the place, since nothing else has been painted yet. I did little pupils here, and maybe I should have left them this way, but I did step 4 and can't really undo that.
    Step 4: Here I strengthened the pupils, maybe a bit too much, but it's all good in the end. All of this is just a hint of color, rather than actual exactly painted pupils and irises.
    Step 5: This I've never done before on a mini this small. A catch light. It was fun for practice but it doesn't really show up that much in the final product.

Bottom row:
    Step 6: here I start on the shape of the eye itself. This is done from the outside, by painting the skin color. This is mush easier than trying to paint the eyes after the skin, from the inside. I start with thinned down paint, so that mistakes are easier to correct.
    Step 7: Fix little nuances in the outline of the eye as I build up the skin base.
    Step 8: Here I added a little white to fix the shape of the right eye while I added skin tone below the left eye, evening out the size of the eyes. At that point I kind of lost the whole colored iris and catch light feel, but it had to be done since the white of the eye was too much below the left pupil.
    Step 9: Finally shading and highlights, some color on the hair and beard and details on the mouth. I think the model is meant to have the mustache be part of the beard so I'll decide later what (if anything) I do about that.
    Step 10: This image is closer to the actual size of the mini. I actually took these photos and looked at them to find places I needed to fix, because a lot of what I was painting I actually couldn't see with my bare eyes. Whether that makes it pointless detail or not I don't know, but it's good practice and a good way to do eyes on the minis that you're ready to spend some time on getting good quality on the focus points of the model. I'm going to do this on a few more models at least and see if I can't get more precise results.

Finally here's an image of this month's painting, the five leaders. The warriors are there just to help me make decisions on colors etc. but they will be painted later in the tale.

The leaders are kind of the main models in this set, so it'll be a jump up in detail and a jump down in speed from last month's monsters, but I hope I can get them mostly done in the next 2-3 weeks.

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Thanks for all the time you spent assembling this guide, Solun, this is great. Totally new method to me and I can't wait to try it... I've got more than a few minis with unpainted eyes sitting in my game boxes, to my shame.

One thing to point out, and that your method will really help with, is to make sure the pupils are in exactly the same spot on both eyes, lest you get the cross-eyed look. When you can change the shape of the eye, like in this method, you can probably correct AFTER the pupils are already painted, if necessary. Thanks again!

Covering Fire, awesome work all around!
    Last edited by benvoliothefirst; 26-03-2017 at 22:52.
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

I'm pleased as punch because I've managed to complete my entry for this month already! My Tzaangor Shaman is done (pics to follow in the next thread). But I am very happy how he turned out.
    And also, I still have the rest of the month to try and do another hero so I can win back my joker!

To the painting station!

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. I've got this week-end to finish the four terminators for March, here's progress so far (click to embiggen):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spacehulk02wip.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	229564
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

@ Solun Decius. The troll and ships look good there, really like the weathered look on the hammer mate. Thanks for doing your eyes guide, I must admit that I tend to have my marines helmeted for a reason and will definitely try your way and see how it goes.

@Itsacon. Switching to BloodBowl? Sure that's fine mate, be good to see how you get on with them. Will you be doing any secret weapons like the death roller?

@ Covering Fire. Looking good for "just a few washes". Are you using an airbrush for them? I like the cult background and the ethos that they are in, reminds me of when I first started 40k just after rouge trader. Please tell me you are going to be painting them a black limousine, all cults need a few of them!

@Lorelorn. The Terminators are looking good there mate, you are flying through them. How are you finding controlling the red and the highlights? Have you got it written down for reference of is it all done by eye?
    Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.

@Lorelorn. The Terminators are looking good there mate, you are flying through them. How are you finding controlling the red and the highlights? Have you got it written down for reference of is it all done by eye?
    Thanks for that! With the red it's a bit of both. I have the major stages down part, but I have gone back over some of the models to highlight different bits, so the fingers on 'pointy marine' are a bit brighter than those on one holding a gun, etc.
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    One thing to point out, and that your method will really help with, is to make sure the pupils are in exactly the same spot on both eyes, lest you get the cross-eyed look. When you can change the shape of the eye, like in this method, you can probably correct AFTER the pupils are already painted, if necessary.
    Absolutely, you can correct the position of the pupil a bit afterwards by changing the eye, but more impotantly, when you're doing the pupil itself you haven't painted anything else, so if it's bery much off center you can go back to step 1 and paint everything white again without ruining more than a few seconds of work. If the paints are thin enough not to build up texture you basically have endless do-overs on that part. Mine is actually a bit crosseyed, so I could do it better but it was mostly fixed in the face coloring and shading.

@Zarika: Thanks man! I actually really enjoy doing the lenses on marine helmets too. They're so big (well, compared to eyes ) and well defined you can build up a bit of glow or shine. There have to be unhelmeted ones in between though, if only to mix up the painting a bit and not get too comfortably set in our ways.

Not much has happened in WIP for me but I'm confident I'll have a bit of time this week so I should at least not finish any later than I did last month.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

@ Covering Fire. Looking good for "just a few washes". Are you using an airbrush for them? I like the cult background and the ethos that they are in, reminds me of when I first started 40k just after rouge trader. Please tell me you are going to be painting them a black limousine, all cults need a few
    Thanks! Well, technically I had done more than that on the skin parts by the time that picture was taken. The clothes are just a basecoat and a wash, but the skin were given two rounds of drybrushing (first Warpfiend Grey, then a lighter drybrush of Slaanesh Grey) on top of the basecoat and wash layer. No airbrush used! Just regular brushes.

I'm afraid I won't be adding a Limo to them, since this force is just for the board game. I may add to them in the future though.

Quote Originally Posted by Great horned owl View Post
    @Itsacon: The WIP picture of your dwarves looks promising. Are they GW dwarves?
    Yeah, they're the 3rd edition models.

@Itsacon. Switching to BloodBowl? Sure that's fine mate, be good to see how you get on with them. Will you be doing any secret weapons like the death roller?
    Not switching, just adding it. I have most of my BB painted now, just some accessories, staff and star players to do. Quest is still my main goal for now. I'll probably do some of each each month.
    I'm painting a crapload of quite old models for WFB, 40K, Blood Bowl, Quest, Necromunda, BFG and more. Cheer me on!
    I'm also restoring 20+ old Mk1 Space Marine tanks. Wave your pom-poms!

Models painted (% finished): 2014: 51 (6.6%); 2015: 106 (13.5%); 2016: 163 (22.6%); 2017: 35 (25.2%)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2