Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This is a blog, come have a look.

Brother Sergeant Iron Hand Gotz's Avatar

This is a blog, come have a look.

Hello everyone,
    Like many, I've been doing model stuff for the majority of my life, and I've only now thought (after a friend's suggestion) to start up a plog of what I'm working on. Since I've just undertook a new 40k project this seemed like a good time to record actual steps, but more on that later.

What you will find here:

My main project at present is a new aircav army for the militarum tempestous in 40k. I also have guard and wolves that I'm neglecting in a big way.

Secondary work is to finish up my nomad force for Corvus Belli's Infinity.

Then there's always fantasy ogres and elves and some ral partha, who knows.

Here's a few random pictures of my past works to give an idea of what I've done. Later I'll follow up with my first project - I'm going to kitbash a marauder bomber out of a b25.

Couple of Infinity models - these are my most recent pictures. And below are a few older warhammer ones:

Comments and feedback are welcome on this thread going forward, ofc.
    Last edited by Iron Hand Gotz; 04-03-2017 at 20:01.

Re: This is a blog, come have a look.

Alright, project one for the shiny new blog - an entire army of kitbashed stormtrooper airborne.

Currently the army plan will be 3-4 squads of militarum tempestous, supported with maybe three valkyries and a taurox, and with a marauder bomber as the distraction carnifex.

I figured I'd start with the marauder, since it's a one off so I can afford to spend more time and money than on the valkyries, and I figured it would be a fun project regardless of whether it turns out.

To start with, I picked up a b25j mitchell model (1:48 scale), which was one of the inspirations for the games workshop model.

The model size is pretty good - the wingspan is slightly smaller, but the height of the main body is good for heroic 28mm. I do want it to look a bit wider, however (this is technically a super-heavy flier), so that's step one.

After I figured out how much I wanted to widen it, I propped it open on either side with foam and attached the two halves in the middle with plasticard, then once it was firmly together I could attach the outsides in the same way. This was tricky, as the interior of the plane is rounded, so there wasn't a great connection straight across the gap. After some sanding and several failed glueings, however, I eventually got it to a spot I was happy with.

Here's the current picture of the main body. I'll be putting in another strip of plasticard in the cap to bring it to the same level as the rest of the plane. Mostly I'll probably leave the interior hollow for this, but I attached the inside section where the wings were to give some more contact points for when I get to that.

Incidentally, I haven't nailed down whether I'm going to build a marauder bomber or a destroyer, as I've been out for 40k for about two editions, and I really don't know which plays better, or fits the army. Luckily for me the weapons will be one of the last steps, so I have time to think (and maybe playtest, though setting up games with friends hasn't been going great).

Good start! That looks like it has been beefed up appropriately.

Did you pick a vendetta substitute?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    Good start! That looks like it has been beefed up appropriately.

Did you pick a vendetta substitute?

Haven't picked a base model yet for the transports (incidentally, what a missed opportunity that MT can't take vendettas by themselves - with the reduced transport capacity it would fit them so well), though I've been looking at a lot of helicopters to find some compromise between what would look good and what's available / affordable - I can't in good conscience spend more on the valkyries than the GW kit - the models themselves aren't *that* ugly. At present I'm leaning towards starting with a UH-60, a Harbin Z-9, or a Kamov Ka-50, depending on their dimensions and if they're in stock, etc.

Right, first official update! *blows party horn*

I've only made a little bit of progress on the fuselage, notably I've added the cockpit and pieced together the dorsal turret. I also ground down the tail section in preparation for the fins, but I'll need to secure the tail guns (wip assault cannon tacked in there) before I seal that section in.

Here's a closeup of the dorsal turret. The base used the original b25 turret enclosure, which was tiny, so I plated it over with card and added heavy bolters from an IG weapon team. I would have liked to do internal casings for the bolters, but the external appearance adds a bit of size and was much easier, and presently I'm happy with the result.

off-camera I'm working away at the nose and tail of the plane, hope to have something to show for that soon. I've also been working on the stormtroopers themselves, but still need to sort out the guns for them before I'll have a finished model (the agonies of choosing backpack vs powerpack hellguns :P)

Alright, fell a bit behind on regularly updating this, not because I wasn't working on my stuff, but more that I've been doing a lot of gap filling and brainstorming and other stuff that doesn't have much of a deliverable.

Here's the current photo of the plane - I've added the nosepiece, ultimately I decided to keep the original narrow nose, as right now I want to keep the nose-mounted cannon look from the original model.

I've also added the tail at this point, and am nearly ready to add the wings, which will be a big step towards looking complete.

Turns out I didn't have enough autocannons in my guard bits to finish the destroyer (turns out having 6 of them on hand was a tall order), and I didn't see any bits online that resonated with me (without being exorbitantly pricey), so I hacked a few together out of scrap for the time being, may stick with them unless I come up with a better idea.

Probably put the other four in the original noseholes - trying to get them to sit straight at the moment and then I can see if they look any good like that

Since I didn't have a lot of progress on the marauder right now I thought I'd also drop a picture of the stormtroopers I'm planning on using - these are from dreamforge games

Heard a lot of people talk about using these models so I picked some up on ebay and I think they'll do quite nicely for stormtroopers. The original model has a sort of star wars stormtrooper face, which I didn't really care for, so I'll be masking over them or doing headswaps, but besides that.

Looks good. The nose cannon will be fidlly. You may have to make up a plate of some sort for it to hold onto. Something to keep them all aligned.

Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

The nose cannon will be fidlly. You may have to make up a plate of some sort for it to hold onto. Something to keep them all aligned.
    Yeah - you can see a bit in that earlier photo, but I used a 30mm base and drilled into holes into it to help align the barrels. I also ended up trimming them back, as they looked plenty long.

After working on it a fair bit I've got the marauder built, so now I'm waiting for a flying base and the missiles to arrive in the mail before I'll add anything else, so here's the 'finished' model.

I'm moderately happy with how the autocannons work, though because I ground down the indents in the barrels by hand they're pretty inconsistent between pairs - If I can think of a better replacement for those parts I might swap them out later - maybe just leave the ends straight and not trying to file holes in the sides? Haven't come up with much.

picture of the back, with the more finished assault canon - more happy with how it turned out after I added the skirt connecting it to the tail section.

Next step will be to find a good place to attach the stem, which might require a bit more modeling on the underside, then after that part is done for sure I can prime it and start painting. Depending on how long it takes for the parts to show up I might paint some infinity in the meantime as a break from doing modeling (if I'm honest, painting the marauder probably won't be terribly interesting as a project).

Looks good!

The greenstuff around the rear assault cannons is a little rough IMO but overall that came out really well!

As for painting i would suggest maybe a 2 tone rattle can camo job? (Practice first!)

You can also fall back on the pure Olive drab (my vendetta) or the pure night black w/grey highlights.

Either way im impressed with the result!

Yeah, like I said I wasn't 100% satisfied with the greenstuff filling around the assault cannons - it went through a number of iterations that - but I think I can make that work when I paint it out.

Still thinking about colour - the plan is to do the stormtroopers in urban camo, so I'll want something that's complimentary for sure. Was talking to a friend over the weekend who pushed the idea of making it more colourful (presumably because it's a] a centrepiece and b] I'll probably take the distinctive paint scheme for 10 pts) but i'm still mulling over what would looks best.

Far as the project goes, the good news is that my flyer bases arrived in the mail, so once I get those details sorted out I can finalize how it's going to be mounted as well (and fill in the last of the holes on the underside).

Right - quick update. Haven't had a ton of time lately - some personal stuff going on, and also I was coaching for a team at the Canhammer 40k tournament, which was fun.

I did manage to finish of an infinity model (besides some other stuff), so here's a few pics of my newly-lacquered nomad: the reverend custodier

That plane is a serious conversion project, great to see it as a work in progress.

Nice work on the miniatures so far, how do you get your white so white?
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    That plane is a serious conversion project, great to see it as a work in progress.

Nice work on the miniatures so far, how do you get your white so white?
    Thanks! really looking forward to getting the plane onto a base so it can feel more 'done'

As for my whites, historically I've just been putting many (many) thin coats to get a nice clean tone (I use black primer, so covering that is probably the single most arduous thing). I've been shopping around for a more opaque white paint so that I don't need to do as many coats, but haven't found a winner just yet.

Haha well, it's been a little while since my last update, apologies if anyone was eagerly checking back to see more of my stuff :P
    Long story short, my job hunt has been going really poorly lately and it's got me feeling very down - not the best state of mind to be making progress.

Since Games Workshop has been leaking all this crazy revolutionary information about the new 40k Age of Whomever, I've been holding off on putting together my stormtrooper force as I really don't know what kind of shape they'll be in (since I've got a feeling they'll be getting rolled back into guard, for one thing). however I've been playing around with the idea of genestealer-cults-as-catachans, which actually works exceedingly well as a fluff army and is a lot of fun to play, so sort of going off of that I went and have been trying to rework my guardsmen. Since IG was me second army every (and first 40k), and since, like most people, I started warhammer as a kid and couldn't paint to save my life, I've got a lot of work to do before I would put them on any table, anywhere. So I've been prying off bad conversions and misalignments, scraping off paint and mold lines, and trying to bring everything into a unified colour scheme, such that one day I'll have a half-decent Catachan 2nd division. After the new edition comes out I'll worry about conversions and base sizes if I still want to use the genestealer cult rules to make them actual commandos - I've got a lot of ideas on that front that would be a lot of fun, but no sense in starting now until we know how they'll play (and there's no way I'm putting my guard on 32mm bases until I know that's a thing I'd have to do :P). Bonus motivation for this, is that next year Canhammer has said they're looking at doing 5 man teams in the tournament, which would mean my getting upgraded from non-player coach to actual participant (and that I would need a painted army, etc. Holy carp).

Not much of a payoff, but here's a quick shot of my current workbench, with the 'best' of the in progress guard I picked out (ie, those I'm confident I can salvage) and started painting, and also a WIP vending machine in the back (picked up some neat mdf terrain online for infinity that I'm pretty excited to finish as well).

Here's a shot of the marauder on a base as well, primed and with the missiles attached. I expect I'll be putting paint on this guy soon - I'm going to go with a navy blue base and do that stripey camo thing that doesn't require an airbrush, is my current plan.

EDIT - sorry for the more-gigantic-than-usual pictures; I totally forgot to crop or resize them, that's just how eager I was to post this!
    Thanks for checking in, hope it was worth the wait :P
    Last edited by Iron Hand Gotz; 28-04-2017 at 20:37.

Got any examples of the marauder paint job?

I would also recommend (for cleaning and stripping) castrol superclean, its a purple bottle you can buy in Canadian tire, and it works ok on plastic (the models may have to sit for a day or two) you can reuse it as well if you pass it through a coffee filter to clean out the gunk.

Keep up the work!

Got any examples of the marauder paint job?
    Nothing specific, but I'm looking at a sort of WW2 UK scheme, something like this, though likely with an emphasis on blue.

Part of the idea would be that the marauder might end up being a different colour palate than the valkyries, since it's requisitioned from the imperial navy. This would also help it stand out as a centerpiece of the army, and add to helping justify the 'distinctive paint scheme' upgrade, which seems like good value (or will be for the next month until 8th or so).

I would also recommend (for cleaning and stripping) castrol superclean, its a purple bottle you can buy in Canadian tire, and it works ok on plastic (the models may have to sit for a day or two) you can reuse it as well if you pass it through a coffee filter to clean out the gunk.
    Thanks for the reminder - I was aware you had some good method for stripping plastic. I'm hoping that I won't actually be stripping a lot of them - just a recoat or reassembly - since most of them aren't too badly gummed up with paint at present, and we'll see how much time I'll want to put into 5pt models that I low-key hate (because of all the ****** conversions and stuff - I'll be assembling some fresh guard after the new edition which will get much better care).

The castrol super clean will strip off the worst of it with a 2 day soak and maybe 1-5 mins of gentle toothbrush scrubbing each. There will still be some paint, but the details should be visible again, and it should be in a "respray" condition. It will dissolve paint pewter in a matter of hours (it kind of slimes off) and breaks superglue bonds fairly well. Some light knifework with a detail knife to scrape the rest of the chunky stuff off and you'll be fine.

Just remember to rinse the minis well with water (i recommend using an old wire mesh coffee filter).

As for the paint scheme:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...dcccf7a6a8.jpg

If you're looking to different schemes of ww2 influence, remember that commonwealth and USN differed in schemes, and they also differed between pacific and european theatres as well.

Most Pacific planes had the monocolour dark navy blue base. Whereas the atlantic saw some schemes introduced.

The more modern style was white in the 50's-60's and grey in the modern era.

Also:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...90c151b79b.jpg

My personal preference is anything with the sky grey bottom. The 2 tone top camo can likely be acheived with rattle cans, putty, and masking, combine with some weathering effects. (No airbrush needed).

I would look up the hairspray methid as well, and maybe practice on some dollar store toy airplanes for details and effects.

Thanks again for the tips - practicing on dollar store planes isn't a bad idea, either. I definitely think a two-tone scheme on the dorsal side will be more engaging to the eye for a super-heavy. Should also mention that I'm not concerned about being historically accurate in this case - I just want something that will stand out on the table, look good, and compliment the (either grayscale or blue) colour scheme of my stormtroopers.

Hairspray technique is an interesting one, hadn't heard of that. Actually really looking forward to trying that on some tanks.

Righto, what a shakeup in the world of 40k with all this 8th edition stuff. My own armies are still in turmoil right now, which makes it hard to really make progress on armies. So naturally I'm going to work on the one model I have with no real rules <_<

Good news is that I finally settled on a base coat for the marauder, and I'm happy with how it looks.

I still plan to add a second colour on top, if not a third, and I'm just milling over what colours would be best with the base blue. Did a small sample slip to visualize things

I'm also thinking about adding invasions stripes, not that that necessarily makes sense in the grimdark, but I think it would look visually striking and help it stand out as a centerpiece on the table (since I'll want that in a super heavy).
    Last edited by Iron Hand Gotz; 20-06-2017 at 00:54.

I really like the idea of invasion stripes. At the very least on the tail section Do you plan on putting imperial eagles where the roundels would be?

I found with my vendetta those little details go a long way - mine looks nice enough, but it is definetely bland too.

Was the colour with rattle cans?

You can do some great masking work with tape and sticky tack and 3 colours of rattle cans!

I think this army will do well in 8th

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast