Thread: This is a blog, come have a look.

Brother Sergeant Iron Hand Gotz's Avatar

This is a blog, come have a look.

Hello everyone,
    Like many, I've been doing model stuff for the majority of my life, and I've only now thought (after a friend's suggestion) to start up a plog of what I'm working on. Since I've just undertook a new 40k project this seemed like a good time to record actual steps, but more on that later.

What you will find here:

My main project at present is a new aircav army for the militarum tempestous in 40k. I also have guard and wolves that I'm neglecting in a big way.

Secondary work is to finish up my nomad force for Corvus Belli's Infinity.

Then there's always fantasy ogres and elves and some ral partha, who knows.

Here's a few random pictures of my past works to give an idea of what I've done. Later I'll follow up with my first project - I'm going to kitbash a marauder bomber out of a b25.

Couple of Infinity models - these are my most recent pictures. And below are a few older warhammer ones:

Comments and feedback are welcome on this thread going forward, ofc.
    Last edited by Iron Hand Gotz; 04-03-2017 at 20:01.

Re: This is a blog, come have a look.

Alright, project one for the shiny new blog - an entire army of kitbashed stormtrooper airborne.

Currently the army plan will be 3-4 squads of militarum tempestous, supported with maybe three valkyries and a taurox, and with a marauder bomber as the distraction carnifex.

I figured I'd start with the marauder, since it's a one off so I can afford to spend more time and money than on the valkyries, and I figured it would be a fun project regardless of whether it turns out.

To start with, I picked up a b25j mitchell model (1:48 scale), which was one of the inspirations for the games workshop model.

The model size is pretty good - the wingspan is slightly smaller, but the height of the main body is good for heroic 28mm. I do want it to look a bit wider, however (this is technically a super-heavy flier), so that's step one.

After I figured out how much I wanted to widen it, I propped it open on either side with foam and attached the two halves in the middle with plasticard, then once it was firmly together I could attach the outsides in the same way. This was tricky, as the interior of the plane is rounded, so there wasn't a great connection straight across the gap. After some sanding and several failed glueings, however, I eventually got it to a spot I was happy with.

Here's the current picture of the main body. I'll be putting in another strip of plasticard in the cap to bring it to the same level as the rest of the plane. Mostly I'll probably leave the interior hollow for this, but I attached the inside section where the wings were to give some more contact points for when I get to that.

Incidentally, I haven't nailed down whether I'm going to build a marauder bomber or a destroyer, as I've been out for 40k for about two editions, and I really don't know which plays better, or fits the army. Luckily for me the weapons will be one of the last steps, so I have time to think (and maybe playtest, though setting up games with friends hasn't been going great).

Good start! That looks like it has been beefed up appropriately.

Did you pick a vendetta substitute?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    Good start! That looks like it has been beefed up appropriately.

Did you pick a vendetta substitute?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Haven't picked a base model yet for the transports (incidentally, what a missed opportunity that MT can't take vendettas by themselves - with the reduced transport capacity it would fit them so well), though I've been looking at a lot of helicopters to find some compromise between what would look good and what's available / affordable - I can't in good conscience spend more on the valkyries than the GW kit - the models themselves aren't *that* ugly. At present I'm leaning towards starting with a UH-60, a Harbin Z-9, or a Kamov Ka-50, depending on their dimensions and if they're in stock, etc.

Right, first official update! *blows party horn*

I've only made a little bit of progress on the fuselage, notably I've added the cockpit and pieced together the dorsal turret. I also ground down the tail section in preparation for the fins, but I'll need to secure the tail guns (wip assault cannon tacked in there) before I seal that section in.

Here's a closeup of the dorsal turret. The base used the original b25 turret enclosure, which was tiny, so I plated it over with card and added heavy bolters from an IG weapon team. I would have liked to do internal casings for the bolters, but the external appearance adds a bit of size and was much easier, and presently I'm happy with the result.

off-camera I'm working away at the nose and tail of the plane, hope to have something to show for that soon. I've also been working on the stormtroopers themselves, but still need to sort out the guns for them before I'll have a finished model (the agonies of choosing backpack vs powerpack hellguns :P)

Alright, fell a bit behind on regularly updating this, not because I wasn't working on my stuff, but more that I've been doing a lot of gap filling and brainstorming and other stuff that doesn't have much of a deliverable.

Here's the current photo of the plane - I've added the nosepiece, ultimately I decided to keep the original narrow nose, as right now I want to keep the nose-mounted cannon look from the original model.

I've also added the tail at this point, and am nearly ready to add the wings, which will be a big step towards looking complete.

Turns out I didn't have enough autocannons in my guard bits to finish the destroyer (turns out having 6 of them on hand was a tall order), and I didn't see any bits online that resonated with me (without being exorbitantly pricey), so I hacked a few together out of scrap for the time being, may stick with them unless I come up with a better idea.

Probably put the other four in the original noseholes - trying to get them to sit straight at the moment and then I can see if they look any good like that

Since I didn't have a lot of progress on the marauder right now I thought I'd also drop a picture of the stormtroopers I'm planning on using - these are from dreamforge games

Heard a lot of people talk about using these models so I picked some up on ebay and I think they'll do quite nicely for stormtroopers. The original model has a sort of star wars stormtrooper face, which I didn't really care for, so I'll be masking over them or doing headswaps, but besides that.