Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: This is a blog, come have a look.

Brother Sergeant Iron Hand Gotz's Avatar

Re: This is a blog, come have a look.

Not sure where I'll be putting the eagles, I'm going to experiment a bit and see what looks the best. I want to walk the line between nice camouflage and exciting visuals

The colour was done by hand, though I'm happy with how it turned out. I've added some more camo to it, also by hand, which wasn't too bad. I had a lot of trouble with the grey - it went on super streaky and I was down to redoing it (pretty disappointed, considering it was a GW paint).

I picked up some low adhesion masking tape to do the invasion stripes - not even going to try to freehand that. Here's my paint swab where I wanted to make sure the tape wouldn't lift the paint. I'm satisfied with the results.

From what little I've played of 8th I think this army will do well. Stormtroopers are in a great spot, but they need transports to get within their 9" rapid fire range, and valkyries will do that. They've teased the stats for the marauder destroyer and the firepower looks amazing - 30 shots and no penalty to heavy weapons. However, it's got crappy survivability (Only T7 and 6 more wounds than a valkyries), so I'm hoping it won't be too expensive or it'll end up as a ineffective bullet magnet. Can't wait to see what it can do, though.

I've got the first round of stormtroopers and bases primed, now I just need to settle on a paint scheme and I can start showing them off, as well.

Have a look at ww2 fallschirmjaeger and british paratrooper schemes. I think they can match up nicely with what you've started.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kisanis; 02-07-2017 at 02:09.
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Thanks for the tip, certainly the ww2 paratroopers have some interesting schemes, and they would work with what I've got, potentially. I was originally planning on doing a straight greyscale urban sort of thing, but maybe I'll mix it up. I'm not looking to match the stormtroopers perfectly at this point (since they're from different divisions), but complementary would be great.

Oh, incidentally, Kisanis, you might consider removing the images from your quote up there. My fault for using such massive images (sorry guys) but it kind of pads out the page XD

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Hand Gotz View Post
    Thanks for the tip, certainly the ww2 paratroopers have some interesting schemes, and they would work with what I've got, potentially. I was originally planning on doing a straight greyscale urban sort of thing, but maybe I'll mix it up. I'm not looking to match the stormtroopers perfectly at this point (since they're from different divisions), but complementary would be great.

Oh, incidentally, Kisanis, you might consider removing the images from your quote up there. My fault for using such massive images (sorry guys) but it kind of pads out the page XD
    I would look at the fallscirmjaegers. They had mono colour pants, with camo jackets.

A blueish city camo scheme would also be cool, or just a crisp clean mono colour

Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

The stormtroopers I'm using have minimal pants, so we'll see. That said, I'm moving way north this week for a job, so they might be getting shelved depending on what hobby stuff I take (so I'll have tons of time to think about it <_<)

These'll probably be the last marauder pics for a while, since it isn't coming (too big), but I'll definitely have something else going on up there regardless, no worries.

Played a quick farewell game with some friends, went slowly (we had a first time member, so there was explaining to do!) but I finally got to try my marauder with the 8th edition rules, which have potential! It's not too expensive, which makes up for it's relatively low toughness (that said, it survived okay this game, even with the helldrake chasing it)

Also fun about that game is that my vindicare got its first confirmed kill of the edition (knocked out a chaos acolyte leader dealy in one shot, which felt great). Before getting jumped by terminators and going to ground.

After that game, I added the first of the invasion stripes of the marauder, so here's the current state. The green painter's tape I used for the lines leaked, particularly where the surface was uneven, but overall I'm happy with how it looked and the touchups on where it bled through have been going well, so the end product should still hold up!

I'll probably do the wings as well, but i wanted to do the tail to completion to see how it looks (and I'm happy). I've also got some more expensive frog tape, which I'll use to mask the wings and see how it goes. It's thinner, low adhesion stuff and advertises minimal bleeding, so I'm hoping it will look great - I didn't use it on the tail because the roll is so wide it was more difficult to manipulate (the green tape was available in a 6mm role, which is awesome for this scale).

Looks great!

Sad I couldnt make the game. I never got a batrep!

Hello everyone. I. Live. Again. Or, rather I wasn't really dead.
    So as I think I hinted before, I got a job and moved north (like, way north. Like, arctic circle), and between the busiest season of work + stress of new job (and job is stressful, believe me) and having to leave behind my active pet project I really haven't been into painting, but this afternoon I got out a few things and fiddled, and it seemed like as good an excuse as any to update!

The 'new' project I took with me up here will be space wolves - far fewer materials to bring and far easier to transport than stormtroopers or guard, even if I'm not as into wolves as the other stuff I've got. I wanted to tackle trying some breezy winter bases to set them off, so last thing I did before I left was pry everyone off the goblin greens, and first thing I'll be doing up here is getting everyone in on the polar dip, so to speak.

Here's a couple quick shots of my more complete wolves (re 2 are actually done? Some are getting close) and my first three bases that I played with this afternoon. So far tentatively happy with the ice and snow effects, though I've got a ways to go to getting it to work consistently.

As always, thanks to anyone for checking out the plog, and I welcome feedback of any kind (constructive preferred??)

Going to have to find a place that sells 'ardcoat before it gets too cold to laquer stuff here... I don't want the snow to go yellow, which can apparently be a thing.

Edit - does anyone know if I can do spoiler tags or sthg on here? It might help condense this thread a lot the more pictures I'm throwing up <_<
    Last edited by Iron Hand Gotz; 18-09-2017 at 04:48.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2