Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Squats return!

Commander

Re: Squats return!

They tick a lot of boxes for me
    1/ Steampunk
    2/ Top hat!
    3/ Mechanical parrot!! (so i read somewhere anyway , not actually seen it )

But i just dont like them .. at all , least they arnt deformed like the Fyreslayers

This begs the question, just how many Dwarf armies does a setting need? Not to mention the gazillions of Elves, Goblins and other creatures that inhabit this vaguely defined new world and will surely continue to proliferate happily. When will the Elf Marines (or should that be Eldarines) drop? Will we see cyborgs to go along with the robo horses? Are the Necrons going to invade Sigmar's spaceship? GW's offerings are so all over the place I have no idea what they are aiming for, and navigating the webstore has become a nightmare.

Love these guys. They're a really nice evolution of the most recent Dwarf kits - they share design cues but are different enough to be a distinct faction.

I think my favourite of the lot are the Arkanaut Company, for some weird reason they remind me of the Ironborn from GoT. Love the face masks and the chap with the anchor! They're also nicely proportioned and quite dynamic which makes a positive change from the old dwarfs.

With any luck the book will contain a battalion or two that allows you to include some Dispossessed units in an Overlords army without sacrificing your allegiance too, I had just started painting some Ironbreakers!

I'm hoping the Start Collecting box isn't too far off, but as these are all new minis so it might be.
    Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

When life gives you lemons...
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

Really loving this release. If this was a warhammer 8th edition release then it would not be very fitting, but the AoS setting is far weirder and more diverse it seems to me. I particularly like the top hat, what looks like moustache guns and the mechanical parrot which have all made me laugh. I even like the beard armour.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
    Now, where are the Warhammer Dwarves?
    On the GW website under the sections marked 'Dispossessed' and 'Ironweld Arsenal'.

These new dwarves have an armoured top hat. That alone is a complete game changer.

Hail our new mecha-ballooned overlords!
    Last edited by Denny; 17-03-2017 at 07:27.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted: 12,000 point eleven hour game. Its almost as tiring to read about as it was to play

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

A formidable return of the Squat race! Too tall-legged, but otherwise fantastic and weird. More hit than miss. Very glad to see this for sci-fi. Must-have for my Squat army in the future. A style clash with the older-style conversions and Mantic' Forgefathers won't matter. Different guilds and clans and worlds and factions, and unifying colours and all that.

Of course, if one does not run a steampunk themed Dwarf army in fantasy there is little to no useful things in this release other than as converision basis. I'm glad companies like Avatars of War will keep producing quality Tolkienish-Warhammerish classic fantasy miniatures now that Games Workshop is retreating from the niche. However, the retreat of GW means a significant drop in plastic fantasy kits in the future, and lots of gaps in armies let to plug for the smaller competitor companies.

Quote Originally Posted by dalezzz View Post
    3/ Mechanical parrot!! (so i read somewhere anyway , not actually seen it )
    You can see it in the picture of the Grundstok Thunderers on the community site.

Chapter Master

I think this is a nice addition to the AoS setting. Since very recently our group started with AoS and I was positivly suprised. Is it better than 8th? No. But certainly not worse, it's just another game. But I really like the new AoS races and the warscrolls. I have high hopes that AoS will continue to improve with even more nicer races / armies.

New leaks from the battletome -http://wellofeternitypl.blogspot.co....overlords.html

The more I see of these guys the more I like them, definitely a fresh approach to dwarfs but then again aren't in the Old World anymore Toto.. which I'm fine with. I have loads of Old World dwarfs, its nice to collect something brand new and I think this sort of release is what AoS is all about. Plus they definitely have references to the dwarf cultures of Zhufbar and Barak-Varr, two of my favourite holds.
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated! 12/12/16
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vazalaar View Post
    I think this is a nice addition to the AoS setting.
    To me it underlines that the setting is gibberish. The article up on the community website: https://www.warhammer-community.com/...ms-this-april/
    has a dwarf fetching his power armor in the depths of a Vault. Their ships and homes are hermetically sealed, so wander around in around 24/7 outside of... wherever they live, doing... whatever it is they do.

How this ties into the rest of the setting and why they just can't explode enemy armies from 1000 feet up is a big question mark. Even on the battlefield there isn't any need or reason for them to interact with the setting (is there plunder to be had from a 'realm' previously overrun by now-receding chaos?)
    Which is kind of important if you want the background to matter.

Kind of a shame, as they're interesting models, and might be really neat somewhere they fit. Like Paizo's new upcoming Space Fantasy RPG, Starfinder. But with half-naked Khornites, armored Sigmarites and nearly-all naked Other Dwarfs, they seem out of place.
    Last edited by Voss; 20-03-2017 at 00:52.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    To me it underlines that the setting is gibberish. The article up on the community website: https://www.warhammer-community.com/...ms-this-april/
    has a dwarf fetching his power armor in the depths of a Vault. Their ships and homes are hermetically sealed, so wander around in around 24/7 outside of... wherever they live, doing... whatever it is they do.

How this ties into the rest of the setting and why they just can't explode enemy armies from 1000 feet up is a big question mark. Even on the battlefield there isn't any need or reason for them to interact with the setting (is there plunder to be had from a 'realm' previously overrun by now-receding chaos?)

Kind of a shame, as they're interesting models, and might be really neat somewhere they fit. Like Paizo's new upcoming Space Fantasy RPG, Starfinder. But with half-naked Khornites, armored Sigmarites and nearly-all naked Other Dwarfs, they seem out of place.

I guess this is why Bretonnia and the Tomb Kings got sqautted. Both Settra and Louen Leoncoeur refused the power armor treatment.

Voss has also a great point about their raiding practices. These dudes are an Order force. Are they going to plunder aether-gold from the Chaos gods? Or the Orruks? Or Nagash? I guess all of these wants to massacare everybody. Only Order factions use currency to trade or have anykind of economy to begin with. Oh well its AoS so I dont take this seriously.

Its just another interesting question that, if dudes have access to Gattling guns and stuff that looks like some sort of laser/plasma weapon, then arent they the Gods of AoS??? This reminds me of Heroes of Migth and Magic 7 the RPG game. When you venture in the mediaval world; with orcs, dwarfs, humans and elves; and all of a sudden you get laser weapons in the last few quests. Its bizarre....
    Last edited by herjan1987; 20-03-2017 at 04:29.

Presumably, whatever they would have done in an underground hold...

Well whatever aether-gold is, we can assume they discovered it on the ground to create their airships and flying cities to begin with, so it's possible they must land to acquire more to keep everything afloat, and whatever else they want... unless they've been hunting skywhales for meat, blubber, etc... or maybe they grow cave-fungus in their hermetically sealed airborne mountain-holds?

With the return of order, they're likely coming down to trade, offering their services or whatever in exchange for stuff they need... I mean they have Master Shareholders, so even if they've got enough to live on, they're looking to make a profit...

Quote Originally Posted by herjan1987 View Post
    Voss has also a great point about their raiding practices. These dudes are an Order force. Are they going to plunder aether-gold from the Chaos gods? Or the Orruks? Or Nagash? I guess all of these wants to massacare everybody. Only Order factions use currency to trade or have anykind of economy to begin with. Oh well its AoS so I dont take this seriously.
    So... why wouldn't they come up to those nice new Stormcast Eternals and say, we'll perform a raid/scouting mission on those Goretide fellows, in exchange for protection while we mine aether-gold or whatever they want? Likewise if you must remove the others... who is to say an Orruk Ironjaws warband isn't sitting on a steam of stuff? Or maybe an airship crashed and they're recovering parts?

Plenty of reasons to come down and fight... at least as many as Lizardman leaving Lustria in the last setting...

Its just another interesting question that, if dudes have access to Gattling guns and stuff that looks like some sort of laser/plasma weapon, then arent they the Gods of AoS??? This reminds me of Heroes of Migth and Magic 7 the RPG game. When you venture in the mediaval world; with orcs, dwarfs, humans and elves; and all of a sudden you get laser weapons in the last few quests. Its bizarre....
    Gatling Guns and harpoons and even laser guns become a lot less impressive when the Stormcast Eternals have a standard they can wave around to summon METEORITES out of the sky to crash down into enemies, or a charge of armoured, LIGHTNING-SPITTING quadrupedal dragons, etc.
    Last edited by Rogue Star; 20-03-2017 at 06:46.
    “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” - William Shakespeare
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man” - Friedrich Nietzsche
    “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell” - Oscar Wilde

Old World Dwarves also had blackpowder weapons, steam drills, giant airships, and what-have-you, and they found plenty of reasons to not just float around in the air never interacting with ground-based enemies...

I think the idea of "order" being the nice guys is a bit of a stretch- the Sylvaneth don't come across as "good" - they have their own agenda but will work with others as suit them. Its not black and white, more a shared commonality at some level which is more likely than sharing with Orruks/death factions or chaos. Order are more a collection of factions who have more in common than with the rest of the factions, but they don't have to besties. The suits - well they wear them due to hazardous climatic conditions and when on the grown perhaps to protect them from the change in altitude as well. I think the whole thing with AoS is these more exotic variants of factions can exist as the realms are so different, which is the strength of having the setting set up as it is. These dwarfs are clearly in the same tradition of the Dwarfs of Zhufbar and Barak-Varr- I'm really looking to reading more about them. On the raiding thing- as Rogue Star says, they maybe need other supplies, to protect their mines/harvesting of metals and also the accumulation of wealth- which is a strong Dwarf characteristic. I've collected dwarfs since 1st Ed and I find these to be quite a brilliant divergence of Dwarf culture, and it is a very Dwarf culture- if the Old World had remained in some shattered form this could well have been what Zhufbar became. I think it also made me get what AoS is about, after doing the Old World for 8 editions it is about the opportunity to bring something fresh and explore the exotic elements of those fantasy cultures. I'm hoping they do the same [without the world destruction] in 40k- evolving the designs into new and interesting forms. [those Eldar being a case in point].

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Presumably, whatever they would have done in an underground hold...

Well whatever aether-gold is, we can assume they discovered it on the ground to create their airships and flying cities to begin with, so it's possible they must land to acquire more to keep everything afloat, and whatever else they want... unless they've been hunting skywhales for meat, blubber, etc... or maybe they grow cave-fungus in their hermetically sealed airborne mountain-holds?

With the return of order, they're likely coming down to trade, offering their services or whatever in exchange for stuff they need... I mean they have Master Shareholders, so even if they've got enough to live on, they're looking to make a profit...

So... why wouldn't they come up to those nice new Stormcast Eternals and say, we'll perform a raid/scouting mission on those Goretide fellows, in exchange for protection while we mine aether-gold or whatever they want? Likewise if you must remove the others... who is to say an Orruk Ironjaws warband isn't sitting on a steam of stuff? Or maybe an airship crashed and they're recovering parts?

Plenty of reasons to come down and fight... at least as many as Lizardman leaving Lustria in the last setting...

Gatling Guns and harpoons and even laser guns become a lot less impressive when the Stormcast Eternals have a standard they can wave around to summon METEORITES out of the sky to crash down into enemies, or a charge of armoured, LIGHTNING-SPITTING quadrupedal dragons, etc.
    Doing mercenary work and raiding are to different things. Mercenary work is legal "job". Raiding is piracy. They specificly said that Up for gold and glory or whatever fancy pirate slogan....

Doing mercenary work and raiding are to different things. Mercenary work is legal "job". Raiding is piracy. They specificly said that Up for gold and glory or whatever fancy pirate slogan....
    And? You say this like they can't do both.
    “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” - William Shakespeare
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man” - Friedrich Nietzsche
    “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell” - Oscar Wilde

Your mercenary contract could require you to raid the enemy... Albeit at certain locations or times, You know as scouting attacks to weaken the enemy.

And the Idea that Chaos forces don't have an economy is silly, there might be a might-makes-right pecking order but land control, food, resources and skills to make all those pretty weapons still require logistics no? High fantasy or not. Even if its barter or using some unsavory currencies, resources are there for the taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane

Chaos Marines, 30k and Renegades

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

As for Chaos and economy, of course there would be something rudimentary of hunting, barter, spoil and paying tribute to one's overlord/handing out rewards to one's underlings. Aside from freaky Warp and sorcerous things, dark secrets and force loaded prayers amid blood sacrifices; which could put another dimension into the tribal "economy" at least among Shamans, Sorcerers, freaks, bound Daemons, demigods and whatnot. At least in Warhammer fantasy there was something of a capricious economy between mortals and their Dark Gods, with deeds and praise getting rewarded with mutations and gifts, often double-edged or outright destructive to the mortal regardless of his positive account with the deity.

One would expect the mundane economy of Chaos to be a plunder economy with only a minimum of long-term exploitation after the initial burst of looting, or not even that in many cases. Ultimately parasitic, fleeting and contributing little of its own, and in the end dependant on non-Chaos productives to loot and despoil.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateLifeform
    This begs the question, just how many Dwarf armies does a setting need?
    You can never have too many Dwarf cultures, armies, citiy-states, clan holds, villages, mines, quarries or empires in a fantasy setting. Beard rules and beer reigns. This is basic rule #1 in any fiction worth touching.

There might be a lot to be said of Games Workshop, but they've still got their Dwarf preference running under steam, which is a sign of health despite everything else of these upheavals.

And on a different note I'll gladly grant GW that their magitech fantasy setting already is looking more interesting than, say, Warmahordes. The new space Dwarfs were all it took, for boy do they look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Karak Norn Clansman View Post

You can never have too many Dwarf cultures, armies, citiy-states, clan holds, villages, mines, quarries or empires in a fantasy setting. Beard rules and beer reigns. This is basic rule #1 in any fiction worth touching.

There might be a lot to be said of Games Workshop, but they've still got their Dwarf preference running under steam, which is a sign of health despite everything else of these upheavals.

And on a different note I'll gladly grant GW that their magitech fantasy setting already is looking more interesting than, say, Warmahordes. The new space Dwarfs were all it took, for boy do they look good.
    Absolutely agree whole heartedly with all of that!

Bit of an update- they are seemingly up for pre-order on the 8th of April, no prices in WD but they are on the cover. Some pics-
    Some stuff form Warhammer TV-

Ironclad has apprently so many rules that they had to reduce the font to fit all of it onto one page.
    Both it and the Frigate can carry models. If loaded to its maximum load capacitiy it can still take in models, but it'll reduce it's Move stat. Ballon troops never count against that maximum capacity since they just get towed along.
    Arkanaut Company is battleline.
    All battalions are entirely built around being completely airborne.
    Overlord Allegiance is selected by city instead of just a general Kharadron Overlord one.
    Ironclad uses the Imperial Knight base
    Last edited by silverstu; 25-03-2017 at 13:59.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2