Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Squats return!

Re: Squats return!

their legs are too long and their beards are too short... if only they had listened to their grandmothers advice and stayed underground mining rather than start mucking about on airships... it will lead to no good mark my words.

The first wave goes up for preorder this weekend [the 15th]- book, arkanauts and frigate by the looks of things- Link
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated with Kharadrons! 01/05/17
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

Prices in pounds pinched from Mongoose Matt on Dakka-
    For next week:

Battletome: Kharadron Overlords 25
    Warscrolls: Kharadron Overlords 10
    Kharadron Overlords: Arkanaut Frigate 50
    Kharadron Overlords: Arkanaut Company 27.50
    Kharadron Overlords: Arkanaut Admiral 15

No price on the big ship yet, but 80 was 'suggested'.
    The Frigate is a bit of a shock but its a big model and the company -I was hoping for 25 so not too bad. The Ironclad as 80 would be expected. I hope the other kits are reasonable..

Anyone else preorder any? Every single drop of cynicism I have towards GW disappeared in a literal instant when they went up for sale. I've nabbed a frigate, Admiral, and the book for now - I figure the start collecting set will follow soon and most likely contain a Gunhauler, Arkanaut Company and a character so I'll wait for a bit (any character but the Admiral please!).

I'm deeply in love with the look and character of this faction and all over them, despite never being remotely interested in dwarfs before now. Cannot wait for the Ironclad and Navigator models to arrive!
    Last edited by ospriet; 16-04-2017 at 11:16.
    It's all getting painted one day, really I swear it. Honest.

Yep! I went for the book, the Arkanauts and the frigate, skipped the admiral for now, looking forward to getting the Skywardens/riggers and the Endrinmaster. I spent today sculpting little details for their bases- really looking forward to reading the book. It might be a few months before we get a Start Collecting for them though- you might have a bit of a wait. I recon there will be one of those bigger box deals for them at Christmas though. Its a great release- I'm hoping for dice and a tie in novel later as well.

I'm not in a hurry to play them right away - still enjoying Skaven - happy to collect skydwarfs at my own pace and wait for deals!
    It's all getting painted one day, really I swear it. Honest.

Quote Originally Posted by ospriet View Post
    I'm not in a hurry to play them right away - still enjoying Skaven - happy to collect skydwarfs at my own pace and wait for deals!
    I wish I had your attitude! I can't wait! That said I'm taking my time so hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of any Start Collecting or Battleforce sets {i'd definitely see a larger Battleforce set for them around christmas}.

And some awesome artwork from Battletome: KO.
    http://wellofeternitypl.blogspot.com...overlords.html

BTW. Only Thunderers (5 for 40$)and Gunship (50$) for pre-order this week

Quote Originally Posted by wellofeternity View Post
    And some awesome artwork from Battletome: KO.
    http://wellofeternitypl.blogspot.com...overlords.html

BTW. Only Thunderers (5 for 40$)and Gunship (50$) for pre-order this week
    Cheers! Are those US prices or Canadian? Trying to convert them into s

Assuming those are US that makes the Thunderers 25 and the Gunhauler 30. I was hoping for 22.50 for the Thunderers but 25 isn't horrible and hopefully they have a lot of options. The Gunhauler is a bit a of steal- I was expecting 35 at the cheapest. Priced so you can take a few- i like it.
    Really want to get the skywardens but might get some Grundstock lads first..
    Last edited by silverstu; 18-04-2017 at 09:53.

I love the airships, but not a huge fan of the dwarves themselves. Here's what I'm thinking, and I'd love some feedback on my ideas. I will be doing some converting, and using genestealer neophyte bodies with skitarii vanguard helmets as the troops. I haven't decided whether to use the army as 40K or AoS, but either way I will probably still use the arms from the Arkanauts. Here's a picture (not mine) from what the troops would look like, before an arm swap. I think it could be awesome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17951732_1418790998191145_2469104697977288845_n.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	229932

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    I love the ships and once I let go of thinking about a setting I'm really loving them. I think they could do with a dirtier, weathered scheme although the picture of the whole army in blue and gold is fantastic.
    This is pretty much my take as well - I still can't really get a grip on AoS as a setting and I've yet to find any fluff written for it that's as compelling as WHF, but if you ignore the broader context entirely and focus purely on the models and the artworks they're pretty fantastic. I love the image of a bunch of Skydorfs(it's a point of pride at this point that I don't use GW's ludicrous new trademark-paranoia names) landed next to some mental dead cloud-kraken hacking into it like Age of Sail whalers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodhrin View Post
    This is pretty much my take as well - I still can't really get a grip on AoS as a setting and I've yet to find any fluff written for it that's as compelling as WHF, but if you ignore the broader context entirely and focus purely on the models and the artworks they're pretty fantastic. I love the image of a bunch of Skydorfs(it's a point of pride at this point that I don't use GW's ludicrous new trademark-paranoia names) landed next to some mental dead cloud-kraken hacking into it like Age of Sail whalers.
    Yeah I think I'm liking the imagery around them, the little snippets of the fluff feel right to me as well- I'm looking forward to reading about them, there seems to be a good bit of dwarfishness to them for me to enjoy. Grudges still a thing, riding out an age of chaos in hiding [in the clouds instead of underground this time]. It is a very different setting but I think it is starting to fill out a bit- WFB had 30? years of fluff building- thats quite a lot to contend with, I think AoS feels a bit shallow because it still is, needs a bit more filling out with factions and fluff. These guys are a huge step forward- if they add in the shadow elves and new shaven it will start to feel more substantial. I'm hoping for a novel along with this release to flesh out the background a bit more.
    The image of the cloud-kraken getting hacked-up is a fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Yeah I think I'm liking the imagery around them, the little snippets of the fluff feel right to me as well- I'm looking forward to reading about them, there seems to be a good bit of dwarfishness to them for me to enjoy. Grudges still a thing, riding out an age of chaos in hiding [in the clouds instead of underground this time]. It is a very different setting but I think it is starting to fill out a bit- WFB had 30? years of fluff building- thats quite a lot to contend with, I think AoS feels a bit shallow because it still is, needs a bit more filling out with factions and fluff. These guys are a huge step forward- if they add in the shadow elves and new shaven it will start to feel more substantial. I'm hoping for a novel along with this release to flesh out the background a bit more.
    The image of the cloud-kraken getting hacked-up is a fantastic!
    It's less the quantity and more the quality. Not in that it's objectively bad, just not to my taste - WHF changed over the years, but the basic "rules" were fairly well established after the first couple of editions and after that it was a case of refinement and expansion of the core concept(a pastiche of various fantasy tropes chiefly drawing on Tolkein & Moorcock and on the folklore & creation myths that had originally inspired them, framed by a pseudohistorical world), and I really liked that core concept. AoS is a much more slippery beast, and I think intentionally so - GW don't want to have to think about how this or that new faction fits in to the existing frame, or whether removing this or that poorly selling faction might impact the frame negatively, so they've made the frame so broad as to be almost nonexistant; huge, mostly undefined worlds with a single extremely open concept as the "hook". These Skydorfs exemplify that mentality perfectly - up until now, all the much vaunted "freedom" that shifting to AoS had ostensibly granted the studio was, frankly, wasted. They produced rehashes of existing factions or imports of 40K factions in a fairly dull high fantasy wrapper, and now out of the blue we're getting steampunk skyprivateer kind-of-Dwarfs with magical bronze-balooned airships and an almost Shadowrun-esque neon-fantasy feel in some of the art. Now I love 'em, but it's hard to fit them into the same headspace as Sigmar's not-Empire and the other more trad fantasy and WHF elements, and my feeling about fantasy settings has always been that if you construct your setting in that way, where you don't have to bother relating anything to anything else except by decree("these two things are in the same world, because I say they are"), you're going to trend over time towards a kind of formless hodgepodge like World of Warcraft rather than a coherent world like WHF no matter how much content you add.

Eh, anyway, I like the Skydorfs enough to ignore most of those misgivings at least as far as buying and painting a few of them, so as far as GW are concerned that's a win I suppose.

Yeah I get what you mean- but I sense they are starting to form the AOS world with this release and it will become more clear as they fill it with new factions. I think the problem is they haven't replace the old factions yet with the new, specific to AoS so it is a bit of a horrible mish-mash. The Kharadrons actually make the Stormcast make sense [if you know what I mean] -they sit together well as opposed to Stormcast and Empire models. They really need to get the new factions out there to give greater sense of the the world- I think Shadespire will help with this as they can do mini releases to give a taster of the factions yet to be released. In the meantime I'm just going to enjoy painting up the new Skydorfs

From Facebook-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18056415_621813464682117_3631035845671970785_o.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	229933

Just a thought about the style and "tech level" of these Dwarfs; I'd point out how Skaven have already had similar machinations and weapons for awhile, as have Empire to a degree. If they finally revisit free peoples, Id hope they continue the trend, and give normal humans some tech to compete with Stormies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane

Chaos Marines, 30k and Renegades

Mostly interested to see what they will do with the Elves - in the old universe very traditional in their weaponry and equipment. A much larger emphasis on magic would be my guess.

\m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

"War is not about who is right, but who is left"
    - Ad finem temporum -

Chapter Master

Squats got listed as a surviving abhuman strain yet again in the 8th edition corebook.

Just sayin'.

They are still part of the fluff but are too naive to be put in the darkgritty.
    Initially 40k was the future version of FB, now we are witnessing the inverse process: AoS is "copying" more and more 40k.

I like the squats, I both like and hate the name though :P

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3