Thread: My random hobby flitterings

My random hobby flitterings

Hiya,

I used to have a random plog on here before the great Warseer crashing of 2016, thought I'd crack on with a new one!
    I'm a proper hobby butterfly and tend to do a complete about face every so often, although it's generally the same armies/teams/warbands as I've always had, but on rotation.

Expect this to feature at some point:
    Blood Bowl (I've got one team to finish and multiple to start...)
    Dropfleet Commander
    The Banner Saga board game minis
    Mordheim
    Skaven
    I'm mucking about with the idea of entering my store Kill Team tournament with an entire band of inquisitors/preachers/missionaries/grimdark weirdness proxying as stuff that can actually be used in the rules...

At the moment I've totally burnt out on Pestilens and Blood Bowl (probably because my main BB team is also red skaven...), and finally cracked on with the combined Valhallan/Praetorian Imperial Guard army of my teenage dreams. That said, it seems to be already morphing into a collection of random imperial weirdness, full of mad preachers and witch hunters, plus I don't actually have any tanks...

Anyway, here's the first finished model (bar a couple of corrections that I noticed when I took the picture)...

Basically saw model, had to have model, sat down to paint model, finished at 1am and wondered where day had gone...
    It's all getting painted one day, really I swear it. Honest.

Re: My random hobby flitterings

I've cracked on and almost finished my test models on the Praetorian half of my Imperial Guard army, I'm happy with the colour scheme and they look alright. The Valhallan half... not so much at this point. I took a couple of photos just now, but I've not really got the expertise or equipment to be taking convincing photos at night so they came out rubbish! I've got another day off tomorrow so my plan is to crack on down to GW with their lovely halogen natural lighting and have a Praetorian painting day. Hopefully have something to show by the end of it.

For anybody interested my IG currently stands at a platoon of Valhallans 5 squads strong, with an additional Mortar squad and some spare special weapons and troops. The Praetorians is the contents of the XXIV boxed set plus an autocannon squad and a couple of extra heavy bolters. Then about 3 million imperial agents because you can't just have one mad preacher...
    Last edited by ospriet; 21-03-2017 at 19:02.

So after a slightly less productive day than planned (One of my idiot friends spent the afternoon cutting up my kitchen roll and licking my palette.... It's probably best not to ask), I've got somewhere with the Praetorians. 8 guys have got paint on them at various stages now I've decided I'm happy with the test scheme, but the two in the following photos are furthest along. Plenty of corrections to do, plus skin, and red/grey parts to do more highlights on, but you get the general idea.

This guy is nearly done. Parts of his gun and both sleeves and collar need work, and I think the red needs to go up a notch, but mainly happy.

This guy's teeth are going to keep me awake at night. I lack the steady hand for this procedure...

Finally, I wanted to put a picture up of the back of Greyfax, simply because it's the most convincing attempt at highlighting black I've managed yet. Took about 12 coats and had to be partially redone after a small area chipped off. I did a sad.
    Last edited by ospriet; 22-05-2017 at 13:59.

Chapter Master

Greyfax is wonderful, the shine on the armour in particular seems to fitting. Cloak on greyfax is very nicely done, your effort paid off. I particularly like the crossbow. The red draws the eye, but doesn't look out of place. Your praetorian looks more like a soldier should, so they will make a good thematic combination on the table top. Keep it coming!
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

Nice Greyfax!
    and it's always great to see Praetorians getting some love

Quote Originally Posted by Sureshot05 View Post
    Greyfax is wonderful, the shine on the armour in particular seems to fitting. Cloak on greyfax is very nicely done, your effort paid off. I particularly like the crossbow. The red draws the eye, but doesn't look out of place. Your praetorian looks more like a soldier should, so they will make a good thematic combination on the table top. Keep it coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemlod View Post
    Nice Greyfax!
    and it's always great to see Praetorians getting some love
    Thanks a lot to both of you, appreciate it! I have to say though that the really bright points of reflection on the armour are from the slightly strong light I was using. I can't take any credit for the colour scheme either - I mainly followed the Duncan Rhodes tutorial on Warhammer TV for my colour scheme, although adapted to colours I actually own/like in places. That said, the 2nd picture showing her cloak is a pretty accurate reflection of what the model really looks like - no accidental camera tricks there!

Glad you like the Praetorians - I'm not a massive fan of the GW bright red and flat yellow epaulettes scheme that most people seem to paint them, but I am a massive fan of redcoats in space; so it's my personal compromise. Pinched the khaki recipe from http://13thpraetorian.blogspot.co.uk...1_archive.html - I just know that after reading that blog there are going to be chosen men and people called Hagman in this army...

No real progress in the last few days - solidly working myself into an early grave at this point - but I hope to get some time to crack on tomorrow and Wednesday.

Nice work. I've always struggled to highlight black clothing too, but you've done an admirable job on the cape!

Doi

That second Praetorian sure walks proud, good work.
    Metals work well on your Greyfax.

What are your plans for basing these?
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    That second Praetorian sure walks proud, good work.
    Metals work well on your Greyfax.

What are your plans for basing these?
    Cheers Doi & Little Joe. Re: basing, at this point your guess is as good as mine!

So the last couple of weeks has been a bit of a hobby write-off, but I've managed to get some paint on 13 Praetorians. I may have been slightly distracted by opening a box and finding my seer council though... essentially Shadow War Armageddon has happened and I'm torn between Harlequins, using a load of Eldar seers as counts-as Eldar, or using my collection of Imperial weirdness as counts-as IG. The harlequins seem to massively unbalance the game and their feedback hasn't been great in our store - the manager uses them and nobody wants to play him, and not just because he's a smegpot! I'm leaning towards the seer council proxy idea, simply because I haven't put them all on a gaming table for 10 years.

It's been a quiet month on the hobby front for me - accepting any and all overtime plus the start of cricket season has wiped out a lot of my time and energy for doing anything other than vegging in front of sky sports...!

Nevertheless, I've slowly started accumulating Kharadron Overlords, plus found the time to play a bit of Shadow War with my (inept) band of harlequins. Managed to win 4/5 games so far, but mainly through being slightly less useless/unlucky than my opponents! A few more praetorians have paint on them, plus I also started painting a farseer for reasons I now can't remember.

Half-painted frigate, Admiral, frigate crew, and what arkanauts I've assembled so far. A couple of them have started having Barak Mhornar colours blocked in.

New arrivals!

Hopefully I'll get a bit more done this month!

Made some tangible progress on the bossman today. Need to have a rethink on the head - it feels too dark at the moment. Hoping much highlighting will fix!