Thread: Loving the Alien

Commander

Loving the Alien

An infrequently updated thread to show my incidental Xeno's

First up an old Eldar painted many years ago...

Commander

Re: Loving the Alien

I've recently acquired these chaps (+small army) as a surprise for my son as he loves Necrons

I've started 'sprucing' them up a bit by putting a glow in their guts/ribs but was toying with trying out some 'crackle' paints on them, I have zero experience using these so I have two questions for the Warseer community - what brand should I use and what colour (thinking off-white but open to suggestions)?

some more close ups

Commander

One of the troops

I managed to pick up some Agrellan Earth technical paint today from the 'local' GW store so hopefully I can experiment with crackle paint effects at the weekend here's hoping it works

For crackle effects you might want to try Vallejo - they have crackle glaze/medium that you add to your paint. Haven't tried it myself but I do use their gloss medium and a few others to add to my paints. I usually just get mediums through eBay [I prefer buying paint in store if its a new colour so I can see what I'm getting!]. You could add some washes to give the models more depth - Nihilakh Oxide and Typhus Corrosion are both good for the weathered look.
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated with Kharadrons! 01/05/17
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    For crackle effects you might want to try Vallejo - they have crackle glaze/medium that you add to your paint. Haven't tried it myself but I do use their gloss medium and a few others to add to my paints. I usually just get mediums through eBay [I prefer buying paint in store if its a new colour so I can see what I'm getting!]. You could add some washes to give the models more depth - Nihilakh Oxide and Typhus Corrosion are both good for the weathered look.
    Many thanks silverstu I'll give it a go

nitromors,

I have done some crackle/lightening effect on some Tau Stealth Suites (you can see them in my Tau PLOG on page 3)...I simply painted the lightening effect with the darker colour and then did a zigzag of a blend inside the first and then a white line in the center is a roughly similar pattern, not minding if I went over the edge of the first dark colour.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Presently selling fully painted OOP WHFB Orcs, OOPS GW Books, Wave Serpent - Interested in buying a Citadel Realm of Battle Board Carrying Bag

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Brown View Post
    nitromors,

I have done some crackle/lightening effect on some Tau Stealth Suites (you can see them in my Tau PLOG on page 3)...I simply painted the lightening effect with the darker colour and then did a zigzag of a blend inside the first and then a white line in the center is a roughly similar pattern, not minding if I went over the edge of the first dark colour.

Cheers,

CB
    Thanks CB I'll have a look at your Tau thread again to refresh my memory

Commander

Guess who's coming to dinner?

Some new reKroots.....badaboom tish (Lucky win on ebay!) A quick clean up, some stones from the roadside and some superglue later...

and these are some of my sons Necrons, I've spent the last 3 weeks assembly hordes of them these being the last few for now

Lucky you being done with putting together the Necrons then. These lighter ones in the front - are those resin minis?

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Lucky you being done with putting together the Necrons then. These lighter ones in the front - are those resin minis?
    He's just told me he's bought some more Tomb blades GAAH! The Kroot hounds are resin. Hoping to get some more Kroot made this weekend.