Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 3: March and April WIP

Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 3: March and April WIP

It's the start of the month which means it's time to show off the stuff you have been painting

Re: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 3: March and April WIP

Unlike prior months I've been checking for this thread to go up!

Here's a pic of the four finished Blood Angels from Space Hulk.

More pics can be found at my blog

Just three more regular ones to go, plus I want to redo the Power Sword from this batch as I'm not happy with it. WIP is coming as soon as I get some colour on the models!
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

I had a good month with a respectable eight finished miniatures - the Aberrants, the Familiars and the Purestrain Genestealers!

Group shot:

Aberrants with Power Hammers:

Aberrants with Power Picks:

Back shot:

Familiars:

Purestrain Genestealers:

@lorelorn: Great work! I painted Space Hulk in a previous Tale, so I know how much detail they have! Keep it up!

You can see my Space Hulk set here:
    http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Cover...s/Space%20Hulk

I too was finished early for once . Just not with what was planned...

Instead of the Manhunter I finished off the White Lion as I wasn't happy with how the Manhunter was progressing. The second and third pics are close to the correct colours, but the first is too yellow and the last too washed out. I may have had time to finish painting on time, but time for pictures when the daylight suited not so much.

You can see why the White Lion is what I consider to be Kingdom Death's worst model, and it is entirely because of its mouth. The rest of it is really well done, but by Sigmar those teeth are shocking. On the plus side, this is the second time I've been happy with something I've painted in this type of Bleached Bone/Skull White type colour scheme.

This month I'll finish off the Manhunter...

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

@covering fire: that brood is coming long great!

@doi: great work as always. I really like the way you did the lion's hide.
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

Veteran Sergeant Great horned owl's Avatar

March has been a productive month.
    I have finished 21 minis in total.

16 Mental Patients.
    They are all the same, so I only took a picture of one of them.
    He is in a hunched pose. To be able to photograph his face I tilted his base backwards with multi tack.

After the Mental Patients I wanted to do something less creepy.
    So the Piggies were next in line (4 identical ones).
    The blood on the machete is Tamiya clear red with a little bit of black ink.

I have also painted their ‘friend', the Big Bad Wolf.
    At first I made his head brown, like the one on the card.
    But he looked like an angry hamster. So I have changed the colour.

I am going to try to keep this pace up.
    The next Kickstarter box has already arrived and there are at least two more on their way.
    Enough to keep me busy in the Tales for years to come.
    Owl can spell his name ("Wol") and the word "Tuesday" (so that you know it isn't Wednesday). He can also read, although only if no-one is looking over his shoulder.
    (From The house at Pooh corner)

Here is my progress for March. Up next will be either a tac squad or Dark Avengers...

Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.

@ lorelorn. Looking good mate, you'll soon have the other squad done. What will you tackle next? Librarian or stealers?

@ Great horned owl. Killer pigs and "angry hamsters" The game sounds brilliant! Really lookong forward to what the next ones are... Drunk dolphins?

@DOI agree on the teeth mate, your lion is smooth as always. How long did it take from start to finish?

@Coveringfire. Mate, your making me want to start collecting a cult now! Not good seen as I have just picked up the BOP box and have over 50 marines still to paint!

Quote Originally Posted by Zarika View Post

@ Great horned owl. Killer pigs and "angry hamsters" The game sounds brilliant! Really lookong forward to what the next ones are... Drunk dolphins?
    No sorry, no dolphins.
    But there will be octopusses in fishermans clothing .
    Owl can spell his name ("Wol") and the word "Tuesday" (so that you know it isn't Wednesday). He can also read, although only if no-one is looking over his shoulder.

Hi,

Here's my effort for March.....pic tomoz when find camera cable.....

2 out of 6 putrid blight kings are finished with the remaining 4 almost done, one is actually a converted khorne slaughter priest who will act as a nurgle champion in hammerhal.
    I went with swamp type garden of nurgle bases which I'm very happy with, unused if I should do the rest with this theme base as they are models of different patrons....what does everyone think?

@ lorelorn: Nice work. It's refreshing to see Blood Angels that aren't super bright. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the squad.

@ Covering Fire: Those are really cool. How did you paint the purple skin?

@ Great horned owl: Looking good! Is that the old toothbrush flick blood spatter technique?

@ Zarika: Nice job. the colour scheme really pops on character models.

Quote Originally Posted by lorelorn View Post
    @doi: great work as always. I really like the way you did the lion's hide.
    Thanks!

@DOI agree on the teeth mate, your lion is smooth as always. How long did it take from start to finish?
    The model is comparably plain compared to most models, but the smooth transitions in these colours take time. Not including time spent waiting for paint to dry, maybe six hours? It is hard to keep track of small bursts over a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    a converted khorne slaughter priest who will act as a nurgle champion in hammerhal.
    That's something I'd be interested in seeing. Does he seem out of place as the overtly muscular guy amongst the group of fatties?

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

Chapter Master

Hadn't seen a new thread had been created. Did I miss an announcement somewhere?

Not much to report for the last month. Partly because most of the time has been spend just messing around with a bit of fine-tuning of the colours, and partly because I've gotten my hand on some 1000 points of Skarrd for Dark-Age and have been busy getting them cleaned up and based.

I'll get a picture up a bit later. But as I said, not much to report this month...

@lorelorn: Looking good. A bit darker than usual for Blood Angels, it seems, but not bad. Perhaps a bit of edge highlighting though? The would help pick out the details.
    @Covering Fire: I can't fault your paint job, but something's not really clicking with me. I think it's the lack of contrast between the skin and the armour plates. It's not quite a monotone paint scheme, but it's close.
    @Doi: Looking good. What are you planing to do with the base?
    @Great horned owl: What's wrong with an angry hamster? Go for the eyes Boo!
    @Zarika: Fairly clean paint job, but man... Those are some pastel colours...

Comments:

@Doi: Nice work on the fur! Really smooth shading! I agree on the teeth...he needs a visit to the dentist!

@Great horned owl: The patient looks really freaky...in a good way! Nice blood splatter effects! The wolf head looks good! Probably a good idea to change it from being all brown.

@Zarika: Good work! Not a colour combination you see very often on Space Marines, but nice to see something different! I really like the blade on the power axe. I that cork on the bases? Looks nice!

Comments on comments:

@lorelorn: Thanks! Still a long way to go though...

@Zarika: Go ahead - the Cult is always looking for more members! I feel your pain..I also have the Burning of Prospero box lying around. Next project perhaps?

@Doi: Thanks!
    The skin on the Aberrants: Daemonette hide basecoat > Druchii violet wash > Warpfiend grey heavy drybrush > Slaneesh grey light drybrush.
    The skin on the Genestealers: Genestealer purple basecoat > Druchii violet wash > Daemonette hide light drybrush > Genestealer purple light drybrush.
    Quick and effective!

@f2k: The carapace is edge highlighted with a lighter blue so I think there's some contrast there. The Patriarch below is painted the same way but this pic is taken in daylight. It may show the highlights better.

WIP on my next model - The Genestealer Patriarch!

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    Hadn't seen a new thread had been created. Did I miss an announcement somewhere?
    Sorry, I usually let people know at the end of the previous month's thread - my bad!

Not much from me this month, just two heroes;

High Elf Warrior

and another Barbarian;

Comments:

Lorelorn: Very nice, a nice clean uniform colour with some nice highlights - the Genestealers will soon be cowering in fear. Is that the scenery from Dragon's don't share? - it looks familiar.

Covering Fire: A Nice set of Genestealers you have there. There's some nice contrasts on there with the reds and the highlighting is well done.

Doi: Another month, another very well painted mini. Your subtle skin tones are very well done and, while I agree the mouth is not very well sculpted, you've done well to make it look good. I look forward to what you do next.

Great Horned Owl: Well that is a pace that's going to be difficult to keep. I know you are doing them quick to get them finished but they still look really good. They are quite quirky mini's and look like a lot of fun to paint. Keep it up!

Zarika: Nice. Although still not entirely sold on the colour scheme (you know what they say about opinions...), you've painted them really well and the bases on each really brings them to life. Keep at it man and ignore people like me who dis the colours

Comments:

@lorelorn: Termies are really good man. Blingy details really make them stick out.

@Covering Fire: Nice stealers. Classic purple, and I like the pinker tone on the Aberrants.
    Also, the patriarch is looking super good already.

@Doi: The lion is really well painted, but the first thing I notice is that the teeth come right out of its lips. Also the obvious fact that they just stick all over the place, but the whole maw and face are just way off. Like no one even looked at a photo of a lion before they attempted to sculpt it. Surprising to see this from Kingdom Death. Anyway, great job on your half

@Great Horned Owl: Nice stuff this month. I especially like the gore on the mental patient. It's nice and real looking on your version.

@Zarika: Is that a chaplain with the broom on his helmet? i really like that model and the paint job. I actually really like your paint scheme too.

@Daemonslave: Excellent painting as always. I wonder if that high elf warrior is a bit top heavy

For my own contribution this month I've painted quite a bit, but still not finished what I planned for my second month. I don't know if I should call it a joker, or just a change of plan. Either way I've got one finished clan leader for Blood Rage and my daughter and myself have three more finished zombies each for Zombicide: Black Plague.

Wolf clan leader:

First eight finished zombies for Black Plague, four my daughter's and four mine:

The idea is basically that I promised my daughter that for every zombie she finished I finish the same one, so she get's two for one on her mini painting. She's doing her base coats little by little on all of them and whenever she finished one I basically have to speed paint each of mine in one sitting to catch up. I foresee a big batch of these soon, as she has the next five almost done

Finally for WIP here are step-by-step images of the eyes and skin of the next two clan leaders.

It's pretty much the same steps as the first one, except that this time, because I'm using lighter skin colors, I did a couple of layers of white above the eye before I applied the skin base so that what spilled outside the pupil wouldn't show through. There's also always a bit of back and forth in the last steps.

I'm a bit sooner in the month this time, so hopefully I'll be within the first week by May or June
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Nice stuff as always Solun, plus a good tutorial for eyes. A bit too much effort for my tastes but a very nice looking finish.

Just letting you know (since I forgot to say last month) that the new thread is up;

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...44#post7659644

As usual I'm late again with my comments and answers, sorry.

@lorelorn: The darker red of your Blood Angels gives them a more sinister and relentless vibe. I like it.

@Covering Fire: your tyranids look good. The red on their tongues is a nice accent.

@Doi: I agree with everyone else. Your paintwork is great, but the sculpt is disappointing.

@Zarika: I don't remember if you already mentioned the name of your Spacemarine Chapter.
    The colour combination is unusual, but striking (Is their motto: 'Camouflage is for Chickens?').

@Daemonslave: your heroes are looking great. And the bases make them even better.

@Solun Decius: That zombie project with your daughter sounds like fun. You will have a great set when you are ready.
    The eye tutorial looks great but I think it will be to difficult for me.

Answer about bloodspatter: no I did not use a toothbrush. I used an old abused paintbrush.
    His bristles are sticking out in all directions.

@ Daemonslave. Really like the sea elf mate, brilliant job there. Your bases look amazing, how do you do the leaves?

@Solun Decius. Thanks for the kinds words mate, really appreciate it. Love the fact that you are doing a joint venture with your daughter, bet it's great to sit with her and relax both doing something the same.

@ Great horned owl. Have a friend who has formed "the chickens liberation army " and your motto comment made me chuckle, might keep it. No thought of a chapter name yet but was thinking something like falcon or hawk. Think I will try to model some chapter marks out of green stuff later.

@ Daemonslave. Really like the sea elf mate, brilliant job there. Your bases look amazing, how do you do the leaves?
    I blob a bit of PVA glue here and there and sprinkle some fake leaves about, simple. :P

Antenocitis Workshop has an excellent range of foliage, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonslave View Post
    I blob a bit of PVA glue here and there and sprinkle some fake leaves about, simple. :P

Antenocitis Workshop has an excellent range of foliage, etc
    Nice website, looks pretty impressive. What size leaves are you using? Fine or extra fine?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast