Thread: Khepesh/Khopesh fighting style

Khepesh/Khopesh fighting style

Hello;

recently I have taken interest in the ancient egyptian weapon called the Khepesh. It's that wierd curved sword that Tomb Kings used to lug around before GW wiped them out. It piqued my interest due to its peculiar shape and I have started gathering data about it, however due to its obscure status this turns out sightly difficult.

For a story I'm writing I need information on how it would behave during battle, and especially if its use differs from standard swords to any considerable degree. The internet thinks that the Khepesh evolved from axes and favored being used in a similar way, so I figure it is more for hot chopping action rather than favoring finesse. It is also not good for quick movements. So the image I'm getting thus far is that of an Orc Choppa. It appears that it is at a disadvantage against more conventional swords due to being unwieldy so again, I figure that it is not very apt at handling such an opponent.

Still I don't know how exactly it was used in combat, i.e. what kind of movements were used to make most of its power and, perhaps, balance its shortcomings, and what the general flow of battle would be. Furthermore, if you would pit a Khopesh user against someone who is armed with, say, a rapier and prefers to take on opponents musketeer-style, what would the resulting battle look like?

I am aware that these are some awful specific questions that I'm asking but I hope that the most astounding knowledge of Warseer can once again provide helpful insight into such matters.

Thank you.

Chapter Master

Re: Khepesh/Khopesh fighting style

It's a chopping sword. It isn't really an axe. Whether it's really much more cumbersome than other swords is debatable, but seems unlikely The thing to keep in mind is they really aren't that big- probably a bit less than 2' long (shorter, typically, than a gladius, which are usually 2.5 feet), so they aren't that heavy or slow. Given that length, I'd look at a machete for idea on how they were used, especially since they are chopping blades with no thrusting capability. Quirky for the possibility of being used for a hook.

Furthermore, if you would pit a Khopesh user against someone who is armed with, say, a rapier and prefers to take on opponents musketeer-style, what would the resulting battle look like?
    Really very strange, since the user of one lived a minimum of 2000 (maybe 3000) years before the user of the other. What that will more come down to whether you're attached to the David Eddings (novelist, particularly the Elenium/Tamuli) school of thought on rapiers, that they're magical things that can be poked in the most miniscule gaps in armor for instant mortal wounds, and somehow wouldn't break horribly when pitted blade to blade against military weapons or shields.

Given the length of the weapon, it wouldn't be particularly clumsy against a rapier, but the style and stance is going to be quite different, and armor is going to matter.

The big danger here is devolving into 'expert' quibbling by people who really don't know.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Maybe a bit easier to answer conclusively: How would it fare against say a katana class weapon?

Thank you for your reply. I have been pondering the input for a few days and think I have a better understanding now of how these things work.

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Really very strange, since the user of one lived a minimum of 2000 (maybe 3000) years before the user of the other.
    I never stated I was writing a realistic story. However at least the fighting scenes shouldn't be conjured up from thin air. I hate nothing more than the cheap "because the director says so" that is so prevalent in bad movies. You know, like passenger train cars exploding in huge fire balls or a bus "jumping" over a 20 meter gap in a bridge.

So if we assume both combatants to be bereft of any form of protection, am I correct in anticipating that the battle will mostly be decided by the users' skill and experience as the weapons are rather similar. Truth be told the Rapier user is supposed to win, even without exploiting tiny holes in nonexistent armor, courtesy of superior fighting prowess. I assume that this scenario is quite reasonable.

I am no expert, but Rapiers are for precision thrusting witht he point delivering the lethal point of attack. A Khopech is a chopping/slashing weapon where the blade edge is the lethal point of attack.

Naturally, how you use a slashing weapon is very different from a piercing weapon.

Here are some assumptiosn from a layman's point of view (i.e. worthless):
    1. I am going to assume that a rapier has the range of attack advantage over the Khopesh so they would probably want to stand-off a bit more, while the Khopesh user would want to get in close to deliver the killing blow
    2. The Rapier user would want to keep the traget in front, while the Khopesh user would not need to do this
    3. Swings with a Khopesh are probably less well controlled than a lunge with a Rapier.
    4. Like most blade fights, position, distance, and foot work are the key to victory
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/