Thread: What's everyone's 40k predictions for the next 6 months

Librarian

What's everyone's 40k predictions for the next 6 months

Well, here we are, in the middle of April, and AoS just now beginning to hit. Pretty soon, heading back to 40k releases. The real question, IMO however, what's gonna start heading our way in the next 6 months. We'll start with obvious and work our way up.

First up: Nurgle stuff. This one will be a no brainer since that teaser last month. Plague Marines, zombies (at least that's what it look like), and the Daemon Primarch, Mortarion. Hopefully, however, we get some Nurgle Chaos Lords, Sorcerers, Cult Terminators (Deathshroud versions, please, or something close to it), and a Great Unclean One (although I can see an AoS release in between somewhere). So that's my prediction after this current AoS release.

Given the pattern of what GW is doing, I will bet along with the Nurgle release, I'd say a new Warzone book would go along with it. I could be wrong on this since there hasn't been news on this, but I wouldn't be surprised, either. I will say, though, that it would be nice if a non Imperium army were getting some love before 8th ed was released. Again, could be wrong, but don't be too surprised unless a non Imperial army is in it.

8th edition 40k, given all the information, I will bet hit just before Fall. Here's hoping for a successful edition. Should be good.

If anything, a new codex would probably hit just weeks after 8th hits. I don't think, I KNOW codices will NOT go away. They are so vital to the game. Old ones could be "invalid", like they did with AoS, but I doubt it. Expect something shortly afterwards is my prediction.

I keep throwing this one out there only because AoS already does something similar to this, but I'm guessing all the army books will be under their assigned codex. For example, all SM books would be under Codex: Adeptus Astartes, with all their individual army special rules (aka Chapter Tactics), kind of like the Grand Alliance books. I could see most of the relics in the current codices (not the supplements) being moved in there. It would be like the new "generic" SM codex, but then the individual armies from that book would get the supplement relics and detachments, unique to that army only, in their version of a Battletome. So a wild guess, with all the armies in their appropriate spots, instead of seeing over 25 codices, there would be around 10, roughly, starting out (the Battletome equivalents would only add to the amount).

Just for the record, this is NOT a rumor thread, so please don't treat it as such. These are only predictions. I could be completely off on all this, but based on all the information, this is the best I could muster. I'm sure everyone else has their own ideas on what to expect. The floor is yours.

Chapter Master

Re: What's everyone's 40k predictions for the next 6 months

hrm... overall, I would expect GW to hold off(somewhat, at least) on 40k until 8th ed. hits, as that is likely to invalidate a lot our current stuff(at least in terms of rules); what we do get is likely to be things that won't get invalidated; mainly terrain and a few sidegames(as we've already seen with shadow war).

Once 8th hits though...
    Well, first thing out the door tends to be additional waves and now codices for whichever armies were in the starter(likely Guilliman-themed Imperium vs some kind of Chaos). After that, I'd expect GWs current love of brand new armies to resurface, and considering the recent "gathering storm" books, I would expect most of the focus to be on the Imperium, with the occasional bitz for chaos and the new "Ynnari" Eldar thrown in for good measure.
    Speaking of chaos, I would expect their "primary" releases to be a continued focus on bringing us mono-god "cult" armies for the remaining god - Nurgle, as well as updating the lists for Khorne and Tzeentch, while keeping Slaneesh and the undivided armies on the backburner.
    As I already hinted at for the Eldar, I would expect their primary focus to be the Ynnari, who will likely receive their second batch of "unique" models as the forth or fifth release after 8th. Other Eldar as well as other Xenos in general on the backburner for now, with the possible exception of a brand new one.
    And finally, Imperium should be seeing the biggest focus, likely an early new SM codex(because duh), as well as whichever other forces end up closely tied to Guilliman.

If you want a list, something like this:
    *Continuing terrain releases
    *Warhammer 40.000 8th edition, starter box, and likely stop-gap strip-lists for(most) current armies
    1. Codex and wave for starter Imperials
    2. Codex and wave for starter Chaos
    3. Codex and wave for Imperial Space Marines(unless they were the Imperial starter army, in which case 'Talons of the Emperor' goes here)
    * Codex and wave for Ynnari Eldar
    * Codex and wave for Nurgle(unless they were the Chaos starter army, in which case another Chaos army goes here)
    * Codex and wave for Talons of the Emperor(unless they were the Imperial starter army or 3rd 8th ed. wave, in which case another Imperial army goes here)

The ones with asterisks are the ones I'm most unsure of the exact order of. It's also worth mentioning the ever increasing hints for new Sisters of Battle, but I dare not jot them down.

As with yours, all of these are GUESSTIMATES, NOT RUMOURS, and I shall be very cross indeed if I ever see them pop up on any rumour sites... even though they are most likely accurate, seeing as I'm really, really good at this.

Also, it's likely more than six months worth of releases... jus' sayin'

So I guess I shall simply have to never again visit any rumour sites, I guess...
    Last edited by theJ; 16-04-2017 at 05:05.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to a shaky grasp of English.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by theJ View Post
    hrm... overall, I would expect GW to hold off(somewhat, at least) on 40k until 8th ed. hits, as that is likely to invalidate a lot our current stuff(at least in terms of rules); what we do get is likely to be things that won't get invalidated; mainly terrain and a few sidegames(as we've already seen with shadow war).

Once 8th hits though...
    Well, first thing out the door tends to be additional waves and now codices for whichever armies were in the starter(likely Guilliman-themed Imperium vs some kind of Chaos). After that, I'd expect GWs current love of brand new armies to resurface, and considering the recent "gathering storm" books, I would expect most of the focus to be on the Imperium, with the occasional bitz for chaos and the new "Ynnari" Eldar thrown in for good measure.
    Speaking of chaos, I would expect their "primary" releases to be a continued focus on bringing us mono-god "cult" armies for the remaining god - Nurgle, as well as updating the lists for Khorne and Tzeentch, while keeping Slaneesh and the undivided armies on the backburner.
    As I already hinted at for the Eldar, I would expect their primary focus to be the Ynnari, who will likely receive their second batch of "unique" models as the forth or fifth release after 8th. Other Eldar as well as other Xenos in general on the backburner for now, with the possible exception of a brand new one.
    And finally, Imperium should be seeing the biggest focus, likely an early new SM codex(because duh), as well as whichever other forces end up closely tied to Guilliman.

If you want a list, something like this:
    *Continuing terrain releases
    *Warhammer 40.000 8th edition, starter box, and likely stop-gap strip-lists for(most) current armies
    1. Codex and wave for starter Imperials
    2. Codex and wave for starter Chaos
    3. Codex and wave for Imperial Space Marines(unless they were the Imperial starter army, in which case 'Talons of the Emperor' goes here)
    * Codex and wave for Ynnari Eldar
    * Codex and wave for Nurgle(unless they were the Chaos starter army, in which case another Chaos army goes here)
    * Codex and wave for Talons of the Emperor(unless they were the Imperial starter army or 3rd 8th ed. wave, in which case another Imperial army goes here)

The ones with asterisks are the ones I'm most unsure of the exact order of. It's also worth mentioning the ever increasing hints for new Sisters of Battle, but I dare not jot them down.

As with yours, all of these are GUESSTIMATES, NOT RUMOURS, and I shall be very cross indeed if I ever see them pop up on any rumour sites... even though they are most likely accurate, seeing as I'm really, really good at this.

Also, it's likely more than six months worth of releases... jus' sayin'

So I guess I shall simply have to never again visit any rumour sites, I guess...
    Actually, these are very good guesses. I will admit, I am hoping Nurgle stuff comes out before 8th because I'm actually thinking about starting Death Guard soon, but it's been something I've wanted to do well before any rumors before Death Guard was announced in the teaser. If we have to wait, though, maybe a new Great Unclean would come with it the release, and would be well worth the delay.

As for xenos: I could see Nids and Orks in a Warzone book (IF it'll still be a trend) along with updated rules, new units, and codices (maybe not together, but very close in amount of time) for them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they have not concluded that story yet between Hive Fleet Leviathan and the Ork system, and I would say it's very significant because the Imperium stopped one half of the Nid fleet from getting any closer to Terra, but the half is still coming. As far as xenos threats, they could say Nids are the immediate one because they're advancing like crazy, but then again all the xenos races are a problem for the Imperium. You might be right, though, in saying Ynari might be the main xenos focus (not that they really need anything, but seems like GW has a love for Eldar over the rest of the armies). We'll see, but I believe Nids and Orks are more deserving at this point.

SoB would be an awesome way to start 8th! I think St Celestine was a test to see how much people want Sisters (I used Celestine at the tournament, and not only did she have an amazing model, but an awesome character). Now, with that said, however, SM will more than likely be first. I could see it being like this when 8th hits (excluding any AoS releases): SM army, non-SM army, SM army, non-SM army, SM army, non-SM army, and so on and so forth. Not that it deviates far from what is already, but SM will be magnified more because you have the rest of the remaining primarchs coming. And when I say SM army, I mean literally ANY SM army.

Librarian

I'll also be perfectly honest, I would like to get a new Great Unclean One, and make it look like its taking a dump on an Eldar model (it's just how I feel about Eldar right now).