Thread: A better mechanic for orc animosity

A better mechanic for orc animosity

One of the things I always hated about the WHFB was the way the orcs had to roll animosity every turn for every eligible unit. It wasted time and if it came up, you had to roll again and then figure out how to apply the result.

The purpose of this thread is to come up with an alternative to animosity that reflects the undisciplined and fierce nature of orcs without requiring excess dice rolling.

Any ideas?
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try Conqueror: Fields of Victory!

Conqueror was developed here on Warseer. Check out the support page for army lists and stuff.
    I also write awesome sci-fi novels!
    A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Re: A better mechanic for orc animosity

Seventh edition tried it by condensing both rolls into one, but doing that made Animosity even worse (you lose control 1 time in 3 instead of 1 time in 6).
    Personally, I don't think Animosity rolls slow down the game that much.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Realistically speaking Animosity shouldn't be in the game at all. It's one of those vestigial "fluff" rule leftovers from earlier Editions. While other armies had similarly ridiculous and detrimental rules streamlined or weeded out (like for example High Elves' Intrigue at Court or the highly restrictive Undead special rules), Animosity inexplicably still remains to this day as the only rule that makes your army worse. This is even more surprising as 8th Edition went to great lengths to make the game more playable. I daresay you could go ahead and simply remove Animosity and O&G still wouldn't be game-breakingly powerful. Furthermore, in my opinion a race being born and bred for war should be reflected in said army being better than others, not worse.

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar von Toussaint View Post
    The purpose of this thread is to come up with an alternative to animosity that reflects the undisciplined and fierce nature of orcs without requiring excess dice rolling.

Any ideas?
    Undisciplined and fierce nature huh?

How about...
    Rolls 3D6 for break tests and discards the highest roll since they're so fierce and will keep fighting against all odds
    And -1 to leadership for restrain pursuit since they are so undisciplined.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    How about...
    Rolls 3D6 for break tests and discards the highest roll since they're so fierce and will keep fighting against all odds
    And -1 to leadership for restrain pursuit since they are so undisciplined.
    The 3d6 drop one (also used by Lizardmen) is basically the same thing as a +1.

How about a leadership next not to charge units the closest enemy unit in range and giving them an extra attack on the first round of combat?

It's not quite frenzied, but it's not normal either.

Conqueror was developed here on Warseer. Check out the support page for army lists and stuff.

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

The 3d6 drop one (also used by Lizardmen) is basically the same thing as a +1.
    Yeah but it's better than a +1
    The point is to make the army better at no cost isn't it?
    Keep the same name, act as if it's still a downgrade but really it's just a blatant buff.

How about a leadership next not to charge units the closest enemy unit in range and giving them an extra attack on the first round of combat?

It's not quite frenzied, but it's not normal either.
    I like that.
    You'll want to charge anyway but get to act as if not wanting to charge is somehow something you don't want to do and you get a free +1 attack to compensate for the perceived downgrade.

I was also thinking that maybe they could get Auto-hits and Auto-wounds and Ignore all saves in round 1 and cannot fail a charge but are forced to charge.
    But I haven't figured out a clever enough way to word that without triggering everyone's sarcasm meter to realise I'm just messing with them.
    So I just went with a slight variant of the "Unruly" rule from "The Ninth Age".

Seriously though.
    Roll a D6.
    On a 1 you squabble. Immune to Psychology. Can't charge if unable to, if able to charge treat the roll as a 6.
    On a 2-5 no effect.
    On a 6 you must charge and gain Immune to Psychology and +D3 to your charge range.

There, loss of control though the unreliable nature of the army but it also represents the fierceness of the army since they'll charge headlong into danger.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Yeah but it's better than a +1
    If you go and compare the percentages of rolling three d6s and dropping the high number vs simply boosting the target number on a 2d6 curve, the result is very close to the same.

To put it another way, 3d6 drop high roll vs ld 6 is equivalent to a straight 2d6 ld 7.[/quote]

GW has a long and glorious history of not understanding how math works.

The point is to make the army better at no cost isn't it?
    Of course.

The idea is to find a better way to simulate savage but unruly troops. There should be a gain (your boys really do a number once they get suck in) but also a liability (it's easy to pull them out of position).

Giving them a bonus attack on the first round shows that they have a short-term adrenaline rush, but the ability of the opponent to draw them out deliberately tempers that advantage.

Also, there's no irritating need to roll for each unit every turn.

I was also thinking that maybe they could get Auto-hits and Auto-wounds and Ignore all saves in round 1 and cannot fail a charge but are forced to charge.
    But I haven't figured out a clever enough way to word that without triggering everyone's sarcasm meter to realise I'm just messing with them.
    The words and phrases you need are 'streamlining', 'removing excess dice rolls', 'eleminating ranDUMB', & 'speeding up the game'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted: A mishmash of Chaos