Thread: Blood Bowl: The Browns

Blood Bowl: The Browns

I received Blood Bowl at X-mas and have still not played it. This Plog will, like my Chaos Plog, hopefully motivate me to get some stuff done.

I'm going with Skaven mainly as they are my favourite Warhammer race. I'm not sure if they are a good choice for someone with zero Blood Bowl experience (I played one game about twenty years ago) but that won't stop me.

Look, I even undercoated them and everything!

Last edited by Denny; 08-08-2017 at 16:40.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted

The Cleave-man Browns

Re: Blood Bowl: The Browns

If you changed the name to "The Blacks," you would be done painting already. On second thought... maybe that's not the most PC name.

Excited to see your progress!
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Funky looking rat ogre, and who's that by him?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    If you changed the name to "The Blacks," you would be done painting already. On second thought... maybe that's not the most PC name.

Aren't the New Zealand National Rugby team called the All-Blacks or something? And I don't nescessarily see any problem with the name it self, referencing uniforms maybe?

Also, kudos for using the Classic Boneripper!
    Broterhood of the Shattered Spear - Heresy-Era White Scars of the 189. Explorator-Fleet!

Heroes of Armageddon - Unwanted paints 21 different Chapters for fun and profit (No actual profit involved)

Unwanted Forays into Mordheim! Orcs in da ruins!

Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    Could be worse considering the Brown may or may not refer to the streaks left on the pitch . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bymsface View Post
    Funky looking rat ogre, and who's that by him?
    That kind sir would be Skit Cleave-man, former Master Moulder and aspiring Blood Bowl couch.
    I'm off visiting relatives at the moment, but managed a quick snap on the phone before I left.

Quote Originally Posted by unwanted View Post
    Also, kudos for using the Classic Boneripper!
    I do love Kudos.
    But he's not stolen if that's what you mean. Skit was nowhere near the pits when he went missing. Plus that guard who accidentally decapitated himself had already given Skit the keys to the pen and all his warp-tokens.

No, not Skit actually. Some other guy. Totally different guy.
    Last edited by Denny; 27-07-2017 at 15:35.
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.

The Cleave-man Browns

Well I got a little distracted by a 7th Edition 40K send off, but I've made a little progress:

Last edited by Denny; 27-07-2017 at 15:35.

The Cleave-man Browns

%^$&* you Photobucket and all your %^&*() $%^$. I hope you %^&$ a $%^^& right in the $%^&* and $%^& mango ^&%$ pop an apple in his "$ yeah.

Ahem. Anyway, I have now fixed the dead links and have made progress.

First I painted stuff brown and silver

Then made it rusty

Then made it slightly less rusty.

I'm not far of finishing the basic team. My only slight reservation is going green on the bases. I wanted that old skool vibe, but I'm not sure if it's too much given the overall subdued paint scheme.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Denny; 31-08-2017 at 16:20.

The Cleave-man Browns

Veteran Sergeant

I like the green - there's something very 80's about goblin green bases. How did you get the rust effect?

(I'm also in favour of continuing the old-school slightly silly theme by painting little names onto the bases - Mr.Squeekums seems like a good fit for the rat ogre!)

Quote Originally Posted by jbeil View Post
    How did you get the rust effect?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=px18NSorf1g
    I'm still going back and forth with washes and drybrushing (I'd like them a little more orange without just looking orange) but the technical paints are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeil View Post
    (I'm also in favour of continuing the old-school slightly silly theme by painting little names onto the bases - Mr.Squeekums seems like a good fit for the rat ogre!)
    Dunno if I can paint that small, but if I can I will use this name.

The Cleave-man Browns

Chapter Master

Honestly I'm not fond of the goblin green bases; obviously the standard black border will work here on the bases but if you want to make the bases "stand out" have you thought of doing them in white? (with black text on saying stuff like Mr.Squeekums - 11 - gutter runner - wrestle - Dauntless )

Quote Originally Posted by boli View Post
    Honestly I'm not fond of the goblin green bases; obviously the standard black border will work here on the bases but if you want to make the bases "stand out" have you thought of doing them in white? (with black text on saying stuff like Mr.Squeekums - 11 - gutter runner - wrestle - Dauntless )
    I'm not too fussed about standing out; I thought the green might work because the pitch is pretty green, and back in ye old days (aka the 80s and 90s) all fantasy bases were green for some reason (apparently the old world was 99% grassy fields). But I think its too overpowering.

I always find black borders a little . . . stark? They just don't work for me unless its a super large model with a very detailed bases.

I think I might go with . . . brown. The team needs more brown, right?

The Cleave-man Browns

Chapter Master

You could use a colour code on your bases, brown and blue are linemen brown and green gutter runners?

Chapter Master

You could use the second edition colour coding for bases? I still use it on my teams.

Catchers=Yellow
    Blitzers=Red
    Blockers=Green
    Throwers=White
    Linemen=Grey

If a team has runners and no catchers I put them as Yellow as well. Specials like assassins with no equivalent I leave as black.

So for example Orc team

Goblins = Yellow
    Blitzers = Red
    Black Orc Blockers = Green
    Throwers = White
    Linemen = Grey
    Troll = Green

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Chris View Post
    You could use the second edition colour coding for bases? I still use it on my teams.

Catchers=Yellow
    Blitzers=Red
    Blockers=Green
    Throwers=White
    Linemen=Grey
    Wow, I did not know this was a thing.
    I can see the logic, but I think the current modules are well designed and make it pretty clear which player occupies which position. I'll try the brown and see what the final product looks like; at least the edges of bases are easy to repaint if it's no good.

(Might have to wait until the in-laws have moved out though, and I have my painting space back!)

The Cleave-man Browns

I decided the best way to base the models would be to buy a skaven themed pitch.

. . . I feel like I may have tricked myself . . .

The Cleave-man Browns

Well I've been been blessed by Nurgle for the last couple of weeks. Was a bit sick at one point but I'm on the mend now (though stairs are still surprisingly challenging)

BUT prior to this I managed to finish the team. I think. They are a little dark and grotty, and I have debated whether they should be brighter in the traditional Blood Bowl style, but to me Skaven are Skaven, and rust is rust. I do think the grey bases look better and make the models pop a little more, though the actual Skaven pitch (whilst beautiful) is pretty hard to look at. It burns the eyes!

Photos are a little blurry. The team is ready to go (once I find a local league). Skit Cleave-man finally has his team and can put his training regime into practice (which primarily consists of whipping and yelling loudly).

Thus I present The Cleave-man Browns
    Last edited by Denny; 31-08-2017 at 15:26.

The Cleave-man Browns

Chapter Master

imho the grey bases look much better and make the models pop

What I have found useful on my bloodbowl team (with black bases but the same idea) was to actually paint thin bands of colours on the cardinal points (4 equally spaced) as they skill up for instance right now my Orcs are all gaining their orange bands (Guard) - and makes things look a loot better than ruings or elastic bands strapped around every pointy part!

The skaven board is very hard to play on.. and it does hurt the eyes - but the dwarf pitch on the other side is one of the cleanest and best

Quote Originally Posted by boli View Post
    The skaven board is very hard to play on.. and it does hurt the eyes - but the dwarf pitch on the other side is one of the cleanest and best
    I think you're right. Damn those dwarf-things.
    Perhaps the Skaven pitch should be treated like warpstone exposure; providing I build up a tolerance to the pain it will pose a bigger risk to the other guy.

The Cleave-man Browns