Thread: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 4: April and May WIP

Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 4: April and May WIP

Wow - it's May already. It seems like I only put my Christmas tree away the other day!

Anyway, let's see what you've been up to;

Re: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 4: April and May WIP

I'm happy enough with the Manhunter to stop tinkering and call him finished. Or at least sick of tinkering. EDIT: And not so great pictures.

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

This month I turned my attention to the leadership of the Genestealer Cult: The Patriarch, the Magus and the Primus!

Patriarch:
    Most happy with on this model: The face and head

Magus:
    Most happy with on this model: The robes, the green flasks on the belt and the face

Primus:
    Most happy with on this model: The leather coat and the face

With it bring easter, thought I'd try something different.

Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.

Veteran Sergeant Great horned owl's Avatar

May already? Where has April gone?

I have managed to paint 17 minis this month.

First up are the Scavengers. 12 identical ones, so I only took a picture of one.

These Scavengers have given me al lot of trouble.
    I have repainted some parts multiple times.
    And I'm still not sure if I have got the skin and bone in the right places.

The next ones were a lot easier. Quick and dirty.

But the last one is my favorite of this month: the Body Snatcher.
    I added a picture of his backside, so you can see the remains of his poor host.

This month I will try to paint 30 Deep Ones (Cthulhu fisherman).

greetz,
    Owl
    Owl can spell his name ("Wol") and the word "Tuesday" (so that you know it isn't Wednesday). He can also read, although only if no-one is looking over his shoulder.
    (From The house at Pooh corner)

Chapter Master

No, I'm not dead. I just got... Other priorities...

I could sorta ignore having been laid off over the Easter holidays (was planing to kick back and relax then anyway), but now I've got to deal with it. Figure out how much money I've got to work with and get through miles of red tape. Not fun at all, but got to be done.

Also started spending a fair amount of time writing code for various projects I've had on backburner for a while. Got to get that CV polished and ensure I have something to show when applying for jobs. So all in all, I haven't exactly spend a lot of time painting lately.

Better call it a joker for April then. I did do a bit of work, but nothing worth reporting.

Mostly, I've been hissing and cursing. You see, I invested in the new gloss shades, having heard that they flowed absolutely great. Yeah... Well... They don't...

I had worked the sails up to a sort of dirty white, but needed some shading in what little texture they had. So I gave them a coat of gloss varnish and then a light brown wash, foolishly expecting most of it to run straight off the large surfaces of the sails and pool in the recesses and corners.

How stupid can you be?

Now I have a bunch of sails with very clear tide marks that I need to clean up. Since the sails were covered with varnish I'm hoping a bit of alcohol will lift the wash straight off them again. Otherwise I'll have to redo everything from scratch - which I really don't feel like doing right now.

Sorry for the slightly late posting, I've only painted the one model this month but it's a fairly big one (tbh I had started it previously);

Ok Comments;

Doi: Excellent as always. Really nice skin tones and the colour scheme just looks spot on. Nice one!

Covering Fire: I love that Patriarch, it really is what a Genestealer should look like, not these other colours that people use these days. The Magus and Primus look really good as well, and whilst I would personally go for a more purple skin shade, you've still executed the lighter one very well too.

Zarika: Is that a Scibor model? He usually does weird things like that. I really like it, festive and fun. Sometimes it's nice to just paint something completely different. I like the Doctor Doom model too, so much character.

Great Horned Owl: More weirdness. I like it. These are some really different models. What are they made of? How good do you find the detail? I'm tempted to get some just to have a go at painting (not that I don't have a million other things waiting). And 30 deep ones? Good luck with that!

F2k; Sorry to hear about your sail issue. Couldn't you just repaint the sail rather than the whole thing? Or is the varnish quite thick?
    Last edited by Daemonslave; 15-05-2017 at 18:48.

Love it Daemonslave! The slits in the eyes are so crisp.
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonslave View Post
    F2k; Sorry to hear about your sail issue. Couldn't you just repaint the sail rather than the whole thing? Or is the varnish quite thick?
    The varnish is only on the sails, so I was thinking that I might be able to get the worst of it off with a cotton bud soaked in alcohol and rubbed across the sails. Really don't want to have to redo the whole thing.

Just straight up repainting it might also be an option, but I'm having enough trouble as it is getting the white to cover the black undercoat.

Truth to be told, this reminds me of why I hate working over a black undercoat. It seemed the logical base for building the dark grey rocks on, but the white of the sail sand the turtle skeleton isn't exactly easy on that undercoat. I think I'm up to three or four coats already, just to get the sails to the dirty white the sails are now. Don't even want to think about the number of coats I've done on the turtle.

Zarika: Is that a Scibor model? He usually does weird things like that. I really like it, festive and fun. Sometimes it's nice to just paint something completely different. I like the Doctor Doom model too, so much character.

It is, I brought some steam powered dwarfs to use in mordhiem and saw the dwarf bunny, so I will use it as a troll slayer

Comments!

Doi: That's one badass model! Good job on the skin and cloak!

Zarika: Nice...rabbitman? Could maybe benefit from some shading on the pink fur - otherwise it looks nice! Good work on the green cloak on the doctor!

Great Horned Owl: Wow! You've really captured the creepyness of the models in your paintjobs! Keep it up!

F2k: Sorry to hear about you being laid off! Maybe you could rub the excess wash off as you suggest. A shame if you have to repaint it.

Daemonslave: Really nice squig! Awesome attention to details all over! I really like the leathery skin.

WIP:

I'm currently working on some Acolyte Hybrids:

@ Covering Fire: Excellent work! I really like the glowing eyes on the Magus and Prime.

@ Zarika: Doom's cape looks fantastic, and the base really compliments his smug pose. Scibor's "joke" minis are always a treat too.

@ Great horned owl: Suitably gribbly . Nice work all round.

@ f2k: You know, I don't mind the sails of the ship wrecks looking suitably grubby like that. The actual ships would be another story.

@ Daemonslave: Awesome! I'm really impressed with the level of depth you've achieved in the mouth.

Well, I've had half of one day off since the start of the month so I haven't even ha a chance to look at a paintbrush let alone pick one up . I still haven't even picked which model to paint next. So I'll let you guys pick again . Either the Butcher (pic 1 left), Kingsman (pic 1 right), or The Hand (pic 2 left):

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

@ great horned owl. That scavenger looks suitably disturbing, brilliant work there man!

@ f2k. Sorry to hear about the work side, hope you manage to get it sorted soon. I agree with Doing, dirty shipwrecks work Could you work with the dirty wash and highlight up to have a weathered look possibly? Your work so far has been awesome , I'm sure this won't stop you.

@ Daemonslave. Nice looking squig there, really impressed. Have you highlighted the black with white or turquoise?

@ Covering Fire.WIP looks solid as always mate, looking forward to seeing the cult collective as a while soon. The leather coat on the primus looks warn and used just like leather should.

@ Doi. Your work is awesome like always, the wood looks brilliant mate, stands up well and loving the poses and the models.

@ Doi. For my vote I say Butcher, kinda looks nurgle to me...
    Thank you for the comments, the cape turned put slightly more brighter than I first wanted, but I'll stick with it.

@ Covering Fire. Thanks man, it's hard to see on the picture but the pink has different subtle tones in there. Might try a wash later but for Now, I'll call him done.

@ Daemonslave. Yeah, been nice to not paint space marines for a while. I started on the terminator captain but didn't like it so I have stripped it and will have a think, so the distraction was nice.