Thread: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 5: May and June WIP

Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 5: May and June WIP

These months are going too quickly. Anyway, let's see what you've all done...

Re: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 5: May and June WIP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94cde92e7efab016e9759addc857f7d3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	230501

Joker for me .

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

Veteran Sergeant Great horned owl's Avatar

I said I was going to paint 30 Deep Ones. And I have done it.

.... sort of ...

I must admit that the last ones are a bit sloppy.
    They need a few touch ups, but for now I call them finished.

As usual only a picture of one of them, because all 30 are identical.

I painted the jacket a brighter ochre, because that is the colour I have seen fisherman wear. (For instance on the tv series Deadliest Catch)
    The skin is greener than on on the game card, because it goes well with the yellow and because I think it has more of a Cthulhu vibe.

Greetz,
    Owl
    Owl can spell his name ("Wol") and the word "Tuesday" (so that you know it isn't Wednesday). He can also read, although only if no-one is looking over his shoulder.
    (From The house at Pooh corner)

Looking good there Great Horned Owl. Agree with the jacket colour mate. You done some orange ones like deadliest catch? ��
    Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.

Another 10 tacts done. Next up will be terminators

I could grow to dislike you covering fire! Your making me want to do the cult but dumbass here bought the BOP box set instead, so too many marines to paint! Really like the colour scheme and the skin tone, excellent work as always fella!

Chapter Master

Well…

I’m still not dead. Just…

Well…

No excuses this time, really – just haven’t had much desire to paint lately. Getting fired after working your butt off for two and a half years really stinks. Not to mention having to deal with a drastically reduced income and miles of red tape.

So I really haven’t been doing much besides just looking half-hearted for a new job and feeling depressed for the last few months.

Oh well…

I have tried to force myself to get back to painting a bit. Those blasted islands have been sitting on my painting table for far too long now. I had planned to be done with the entire game next month. But that’s probably not going to happen now…

Let me see… What’s I’ve gotten done then?

I’ve dealt with the sails. They’re not pretty, but right now they’ll do. I managed to get a bit of the wash off and paint over the rest. But now the paint is on so thick in places that I simply can’t do more without stripping the whole thing back down again. Hopefully a few coats of varnish will even things out later.

I’ve continued tweaking the colours on the turtle. I’m still not entirely happy, especially with the pieces of rotten flesh, but it’s time to move on and get the rest finished.

So this month I’ve started working on the other islands, beginning with the largest piece – the castle. It’s gotten a base coat of dark grey and once that’s dry a bit of drybrushing should bring out the details again.

Oh yes! And if the colours look a bit different from previous months, it's because I finally splashed out for a couple of daylight bulbs for the table. Man, what a difference they make.

And finally, a few comments…

@Great horned owl: Now, that’s a fisherman I don’t want to meet. Still.. 30 identical models – must have been a bit of a chore.

@Zarika: Still looking good. Though, if I may offer a bit of a critique, you could thin your paints a bit. Looks like they’ve gone on rather thick, especially the white on the Bolter in the last photo.

@Covering Fire: Not bad at all. In a somewhat heretical your-friendly-neighbourhood-inquisitor-would-like-a-word-with-you kinda way…

I've been on holidays for 5 weeks, so no updates from me for this month - next month should be a lock though. Halfway through the year and I'm only a quarter of the way through the set!

@coveringfire: those acolytes look fantastic!

@zarika: nice work on those marines, the colour scheme works well.
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

@f2k pleased you have managed to sort the sails out mate hope you find work soon. Never used a day light bulb, are they really worth it?

@Zarika: Still looking good. Though, if I may offer a bit of a critique, you could thin your paints a bit. Looks like they’ve gone on rather thick, especially the white on the Bolter in the last photo.

I use a wet pallet and probably water my paints down too much. I had to rush these marines as I knew I would need to play a joker for this month as I'm away for two weeks so the bolters and black lining suffered.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zarika View Post
    @f2k pleased you have managed to sort the sails out mate hope you find work soon. Never used a day light bulb, are they really worth it?
    Having now tried it myself, I have to say that it's absolutely worth it. Comparing it with the light I used previously, that light was far more yellowish in colour while a daylight bulb produces a much more white light. It's somewhat more expensive than normal, yes, but I certainly don't regret buying a couple of them.