View Poll Results: John blance arts , your thoughts?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it

24 55.81%
  • I like it

10 23.26%
  • I dislike it

5 11.63%
  • I hate it

4 9.30%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: John Blanche art

John Blanche art

I found his arts to be dividing. I personaly hate his arts but other loves it.

Re: John Blanche art

I went with like but as with most things its some and some. I'm definitely not in the love or the hate camps.

I can sees it value for concepts but just like with Tim Burton its needs reigning in when it comes to the finished article.

Chapter Master

Some of blanches aworks are great.. others.. not so much..

Can't vote on it. I'm not a fan of the execution, but the ideas behind the pictures are brilliant and shaped Warhammer and 40K into what they are now. So - love the imagery, don't love the image.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Indeed. If they would print a collection of his works, a "sketchbook" so to say, it would be a great collector's item and a fine testament of 30 years of GW history.

However the time they used his stuff as actual pictures in army book unit entries I found disturbing, to be honest.

Love it. Always have, always will. Much more evocative than the American superhero comic like stuff from Mark Gibbons, etc... Blanchitsu is my only reason for getting a copy of WD every now and then. My favorite GW artist has to be Ian Miller though.

I'm less a fan of his sketch work when it's used in place of 'finished' artwork *cough* Codex: Chaos Daemons *cough* because that's not where/how it's intended to be used.

His large scale cover/box art though is second to none for evoking the feel of the 40K'verse.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd ed Blood Angels.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	230502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd ed Sisters of Battle.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	230503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rd ed Black Templars.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	230504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Divine Retribution BFG.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	230505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Epic Blood Angels.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	230506

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damocles View Post
    I'm less a fan of his sketch work when it's used in place of 'finished' artwork *cough* Codex: Chaos Daemons *cough* because that's not where/how it's intended to be used.

His large scale cover/box art though is second to none for evoking the feel of the 40K'verse.
    The far left image has a distracting color palate. It seems like most of his work is more similar to the other four, featuring a theme using off-white, cream, red, and black, and sparingly using other colors.

I haven't spent more than about 3 minutes looking at a few things in Codex: Chaos Daemons, so I can't say whether there's anything in it with any merit. But I honestly think that some of his less "finished" pieces are better than his large scale art.

On Blanche generally: I have mixed feelings about his art. Generally I think he's extremely creative and very talented. The main strength of his artwork is in his use of color and vaguely familiar shapes to create an atmosphere. He's also good at directing his viewer's attention to a particular focal point by selectively embellishing details, which are often ornate and grotesque, while leaving other nearby areas cloudy, dusty, or scribbly and confused. His artwork is very emotive. And often it communicates feelings of confusion, sickness, decay and death.

But as time goes on, I am unsettled by the bulk of his work. I can't look at a collection of Blanche images for very long without feeling nauseous.
    Last edited by Scaryscarymushroom; 07-06-2017 at 21:55.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
    If the Catachan Arm Monster became codex legal I'd have a full army
    This would be a Plog if I weren't so lazy. (Updated September 2, 2013)

Chapter Master

His art was world building. He and a few other artists (for fantasy, 40k is more him) set the tone of the world. His art as a source of consistent atmosphere and inspiration is amazing. In terms of display art up on the wall not so much... It is interesting to note how many of the less popular bits of 40k and direction of plots are ones not supported by his vision...

It's not just his painting that i dislike but also it's miniature painting. every month the only part i avoid is its' blantchissu painting guide. It's like it goes in every direction sometime not taking into account the fluff. The other are forced to use his own version of the fluff. I hate that everybody in the magazine feel oblige to praise him. I hate that because other artists have more impact than him but receive no praise. I much prefer to have a paul Dainton or Alex Boyld pages in the dwarf. He makes me thing like of a prima donna in the opera that no one challenge because of the reputation .
    Last edited by corps; 08-06-2017 at 18:14.

Quote Originally Posted by corps View Post
    It's not just his painting that i dislike but also it's miniature painting. every month the only part i avoid is its' blantchissu painting guide. It's like it goes in every direction sometime not taking into account the fluff. The other are forced to use his own version of the fluff. I hate that everybody in the magazine feel oblige to praise him. I hate that because other artists have more impact than him but receive no praise. I much prefer to have a paul Dainton or Alex Boyld pages in the dwarf. He makes me thing like of a prima donna in the opera that no one challenge because of the reputation .
    You seem to be taking toy soldiers very seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by corps View Post
    It's not just his painting that i dislike but also it's miniature painting.
    Given the content given over by White Dwarf not only to other artists/painters specifically (for example since the last reboot, Jes Goodwin, Will Davis, Christopher Stahl, the various 'Golden Demon' winners, 'Army Showcases', 'Readers Models' etc.), and also the fact that most of the models in 'Blanchitsu' haven't actually been Blanche's, even his broader style of painting (3D & 2D) is in the significant minority amongst the magazine's content.

In fact, between them, Dainton and Boyd got three and a half pages out of six in the current month's 'Illuminations' (alongside Wayne England and Kevin Chin), which is almost twice the length of what 'Blanchitsu' would have been if it wasn't the super special almost-but-not-quite-because-June-is-peak-40K-sales-push-time 40th anniversary edition.

Besides which, given the obvious influence of Blanche's work on Dainton and Boyd, I doubt they're going to go around slagging him off in a hurry!

Besides which, given the obvious influence of Blanche's work on Dainton and Boyd, I doubt they're going to go around slagging him off in a hurry! [/QUOTE] This is not what i meant. We should you and i agree to disagree on Blanche. No hard feelings there. I m just tired of being forced fed with is supposed genius. In fact, i m glad that you enjoyed is art so much. I just don't.

Meh, he's OK at line art and concepts.

I have to say, John's art often doesn't reproduce well. Of the originals I have seen, they're far more stunning than any copy I've seen in a codex or artbook.

At its core, I believe John is a concept artist more than an illustrator (although he is certainly capable in the latter field, most of his art is not produced in said style); He shows what the WH40K universe should feel like, and generally leaves it to others to refine that into the final look.
    (That said, if I recall conversations with him accurately, he's a bit divided about whether he actually considers himself an artist at all).
    -Inquisitor Marco Robert Skoll.
    Project log - Leander, 54mm scale Mars pattern Warhound titan

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damocles View Post

Agreed, although I think there are better examples of his 'sketchy' style work as well such as the 2nd ed rulebook and particularly the 2nd ed Eldar codex.

Also, even though it's not GW, I loved his work on Sorcery.

Name:	sorc1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	308.1 KB 
ID:	230665 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8e741dcd661fc1aee30acb27037357ba.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	230666 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sorc4.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	230667

Veteran Sergeant

I love his sketches. He is very talented at filling the scene with detail and creating very interesting concepts.

Like this:

https://warzone40k.com/image/catalog...versions14.jpg

Or this:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/7fc42a4c...heeo1_1280.jpg

And this, my favourite:

Name:	1350023637796.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	324.8 KB 
ID:	230668

One thing that's always been interesting to me about Blanche paintings is how little he seems to care about conforming his paintings to the 40k setting. Instead, over time, the 40k setting finds itself conforming itself to his paintings.

John Blanche is why I like 40k, and why a good many of you like 40k who think you dislike his art, I'll warrant. I'm not going to don my graduate's robe and beat you over the head with my Bachelor of Arts degree to opine on Blanche as an artist (although I'm tempted to...). I will say instead that Blanche has been with the game from near the beginning, and his art has influenced the tone of the setting and turned it into the thing of grim, dark beauty that we all appreciate today. Influenced not just for we the consumers, but for the designers and other artists as well. Look at the first book, Rogue Trader, and compare it to the 2nd edition 40k rulebook. In Rogue Trader there are some hints of an apocalyptic dystopia, but it's mostly space adventure in feel. 2nd edition, though, is full-on nightmare, dripping with Blanche artwork and with the fluff coming to resemble Blanche's vision.

Now, in recent years GW has been taking 40k away from the 80s-inspired, punk, gothic, biker thing and more towards a standard sci-fi look and feel. I think Blanche's influence is on the wane nowadays. But his art set the vision of 40k that hooked me, and it will always be what I think of when I think of what 40k should be.

I vote "love it."
    Last edited by FerociousBeast; 29-06-2017 at 13:16.

Quote Originally Posted by FerociousBeast View Post
    Now, in recent years GW has been taking 40k away from the 80s-inspired, punk, gothic, biker thing and more towards a standard sci-fi look and feel. I think Blanche's influence is on the wane nowadays. But his art set the vision of 40k that hooked me, and it will always be what I think of when I think of what 40k should be.

I vote "love it."
    I agree completely - nothing sums up all that's fantastic about the 40k setting better than John Blanche's artwork - to pick an example close to my heart, his depictions of the Dark Angels in the 2nd edn Codex: Angels of Death are unmatched (which isn't to say there hasn't been some great stuff by other artists too since). If his influence is on the wane the setting will be diminished - less dark, surreal and characterful.

I've been looking at 40K artwork for almost 30 years now and I can't really think of any point at which John Blanche had a distinctly greater or lesser influence on it. For better or worse he's been there from the beginning and he's still there to this day. There are projects or armies he's had more to do with and others he's had less to do with, but when you guys say his influence is waning I don't really know what you mean. As a recent example the Belisarius Cawl model is just a teetering pile of John Blanche idiosyncrasies.
    Are you sure you're thinking of John Blanche's depictions of Dark Angels in the Angels of Death Codex? In my opinion all the best illustrations in that book are by Mark Gibbons.

If he had a peak it may have been with Mordheim and the Inquisitor game where you had several other artists on each project copying his style to some degree, and for the most part doing his style better than he does.

Personally, I don't like his artwork and I don't think he's a very good artist. His anatomy is bad, his rendering is bad, his perspective is nonexistent, his work is extremely busy and unfocused. The one thing he does well is atmosphere, but that is a minimum you'd get from any other artist. Nor do I think there is anything very creative or original about making everything ugly, greebling every surface, or covering everything with skulls/spikes/buckles/parchment/rats/etc.
    I think Jes Goodwin's influence on 40K design has been much more positive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast