View Poll Results: John blance arts , your thoughts?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it

23 54.76%
  • I like it

10 23.81%
  • I dislike it

5 11.90%
  • I hate it

4 9.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: John Blanche art

Veteran Sergeant

Re: John Blanche art

Quote Originally Posted by RBLFunk View Post
    As a recent example the Belisarius Cawl model is just a teetering pile of John Blanche idiosyncrasies.
    Blanche, as a concept artist and as an "ideomancer", is the very heart of 40k. As it has been said before, Rogue Trader was a very different beast than 2nd Edition, fluff wise, because of Blanche, mainly.

And yes, he's still got a lot of influence. Just look at the new Mechanicus, or the Primarchs, or the Vostroyan regiment, which looks wholly copied from mid-90's Blanche sketches.

He's a great tone-setter. The artwork can be better, but the tone and the spirit of 40k, that's him.

Quote Originally Posted by RBLFunk View Post
    Are you sure you're thinking of John Blanche's depictions of Dark Angels in the Angels of Death Codex? In my opinion all the best illustrations in that book are by Mark Gibbons.
    I like Mark Gibbons' stuff - I have a print of his Asmodai standing in the Rock - but I would pay silly money for a print of the John Blanche illustration of the Dark Angels near the front of the book (my copy of Angels of Death is packed away at the moment so I can't check the page number): the Terminator lord with the three-barrel bolter, lightning claw aloft clutching the skeleton of a xenos creature of some description, power sword sheathed at his belt, surrounded by robed serfs and other Dark Angels, including Ezekiel. When I think of Space Marines going to war, that's what I see in my head, and there aren't many 40k illustrations that top it for me.

Obviously this is all completely subjective - I can understand why people wouldn't like his style - but to me John Blanche's work is a key part of what fired my imagination when I first started exploring 40k. I don't think anyone else has ever captured the surrealness, the madness, the extravagance of the setting better - and to my mind, without those aspects, 40k is far less interesting.

That's it, though. Gibbons is an illustrator, and a great one. I could still strangle myself for being broke when he sold off some originals from the 2nd ed. CSM codex, I really wanted the Plague Marine (I would have also loved the illustration of a Mordian Iron Guard soldier from Codex IG 2nd ed.).
    Blanche is an artist, not as sophisticated in his techniques, but he's the ideas man whose influence other people use to bring the universe to life.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

My own feeling about him is that he captures the atmosphere and the debased visceral side of the background really well. I always saw them as being an actual citizen of the Imperiums version of what they had saw when the 40k universe as a whole was happening around them. I knew the anatomy was off and I could see things were a bit busy in places but the actual underlying feeling the artwork gave me was amazing. It feels like 40k.
    Having seen some of his work across social media platforms, I gained a new appreciation for the work as it's clear to see the thought processes more and more for his entire working manner.

In terms of the 40k artwork, my personal favourite artist is Alex Boyd but even within his works, I can see the Blanche influence and Wayne Englands influence and this pleases me immeasurably because it helps join us the different depictions of the universe as a whole.

Something else I just want to add my two pence worth about is the daemons books. The use of Blanche artwork pleased the lore enthusiast within me because only Grey Knights are supposed to know what daemons look like so using illustrations of them helped add to the atmosphere of the work. The book did not feel like the science of the mechanicus books or the creed of the Imperium. For me, the illustrations fit the tone of the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    "I have been witness to genius in the area of this criminal endeavor. ... The kidnapping of the mayor. The crippling of the city on numerous occasions. Oh, and my glorious abduction of the commissioner and his daughter. MASS MURDER, MAIMINGS, TORTURE AND TERROR! I'VE DONE IT ALL, LADY! YOU'RE LOOKING AT THE EINSTEIN OF CRIME! Sticking some poison on the back of some postage stamps, lady? Amateur night in Dixie. Simple as that."

Chapter Master

Gibbons and Blanche provided an interesting contrast back in mid 90s. The 2nd ed Eldar codex is a great example of this. Gibbons does a great job of capturing the nobility of the Eldar whereas Blanche's work emphasises their ambiguity and their strange alien nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodknight View Post
    That's it, though. Gibbons is an illustrator, and a great one. I could still strangle myself for being broke when he sold off some originals from the 2nd ed. CSM codex, I really wanted the Plague Marine (I would have also loved the illustration of a Mordian Iron Guard soldier from Codex IG 2nd ed.).
    Blanche is an artist, not as sophisticated in his techniques, but he's the ideas man whose influence other people use to bring the universe to life.
    This has been my feeling on the subject. Players want illustrations to visualise their armies. Almost like a natural history or herb almanac. Perfect replications of the object in illustrated form.

Blanche sticks to the emotive aspects of art in its more traditional sense. He rarely attempts to illustrate anything.

I'm the last person to be 'art speaking', but as far as I'm concerned Blanche is an artist and is unapologetic about it.

When I visualise 40k, I might think of a Gibbons pic (his avatar was epic as was his Karandras), or Dainton.

But when I (to get arty) FEEL 40k, it's Blanche every time. He paints with themes and concepts.

Jes Goodwin provides a 3rd option - technical drawing for model concepts. His drawings are very schematic because they're there to help him and others figure out how to make models.

I think the problem people have is that GW decided to use evocative Blanche work in a place normally reserved for detailed illustrations and they're disappointed when the expectation is not met.

Which is fine, but to vote on Blanche's work you really need to look at it in the right context.

What is lost in this discussion is that assumption of a single correct metric to measure quality. In this instance, is it an illustration of a character from 40k doing stuff?

If you started from the question, what is the most conceptually evocative art in 40k, then I would 'hate' everyone not Blanche, because their art while technically brilliant is mostly an informative illustration.
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

I think the problem people have is that GW decided to use evocative Blanche work in a place normally reserved for detailed illustrations and they're disappointed when the expectation is not met.
    That's an very interesting point. And thank those who post the pictures of the 80s books i had forgotten them.

Can't stand J.B.'s art, a 12 Y/o could do better.
    Have a look at my Combined Krieg/ Ryzan Husarz-Grenadiers attempt: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177393
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggalo
    If my post comes across as angry/aggressive/offensive/whatever, it is not intended as such. At worst, it is merely incredulity, conveyed through the inflexible format of an internet forum.Don't flatter yourself thinking anything to the contrary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2